cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm now completely confused about tow vehicles

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Background: I live in Florida and will be moving back home to Washington State early summer to be closer to family and friends. I have a travel trailer here in Florida that I want to take out to Washington. I've looked into having it hauled by a company, but that's very expensive and I would still have to get myself and 3 dogs out there. Flying dogs is also expensive, I've discovered. I love the trailer and don't want to sell it and get another in Washington. So, been looking into purchasing a tow vehicle to do the trip myself, but am now confused about what will work. My trailer is a 297 SL Sunnybrook Sunset Creek. Dry weight 6366 pounds, dry hitch weight 820 not sure about the GVWR. What size truck/engine would it take to safely pull this trailer across the US??
P.S. If anyone wants to take it out there for me at a reasonable cost, that would be great!
39 REPLIES 39

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
My problem with 3 dogs is finding space in a pick up for them, which is why I Still have a Tahoe. If they aren't big dogs, I'd go for the Crew Cab Silverado 2500. Since mine are big, I've been looking for a good Suburban 2500.

My dogs are small, 5 pounds, 8 pounds 18 pounds. But I wouldn't mind having something like a Tahoe, didn't know they could pull all that much weight. I'm thinking I will need towing capacity for about 10,000??? I like Suburban, that's what we towed the previous trailer with years ago. It struggled on the grapevine and some of the bigger inclines, but overall not bad. So you think a 2500 would do the job?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan to tow it around other than to just get it there, then buying a truck over hiring someone to tow it there will be much more expensive unless you just want the truck anyway. When you start figuring the cost of owning a truck with depreciation it is big.
Jayco-noslide

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
My problem with 3 dogs is finding space in a pick up for them, which is why I Still have a Tahoe. If they aren't big dogs, I'd go for the Crew Cab Silverado 2500. Since mine are big, I've been looking for a good Suburban 2500.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input. Here are some answers to some of your questions. The travel trailer will be completely road worthy, new tires, bearings, complete check before moving it. I have talked to Camping World service and will have work done there, it's about 4 miles from my home. I want to be able to use the TT out in Washington to live in and also to occasionally go places and "camp", so a tow vehicle would be great for me to keep. I like trucks better than cars anyway. I no longer have the truck I used to haul the TT and it really wasn't big enough to do the job anyway.
I have made the trip across the country, Florida to Washington, quite a few times in a motorhome and a couple of times (10 years ago) towing a travel trailer. However, I have someone to help with driving during those trips. Now, I will be making the trip either by myself (not thrilled about that), or with my son who doesn't know about towing. This time, I want to make sure I have a vehicle big enough to do the job. I would probably just keep the truck out in Washington.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe hire packers

Rent a "U-Haul" have them load it

Hook on your travel trailer

Move yourself.

What do you tow the trailer/transport the dogs with now?

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned above for your weight 3/4 ton is the way to go.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Might be cheaper to rent a 3/4 ton truck. Check the terms, sometimes they don't allow towing a travel trailer.

Hertz

Enterprise
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 93Cobra2271. Verify trailer tires, brakes, and bearings. Check roof vents for brittle plastic that could be damages by 70mph winds.

I recommend a newer half-ton rated for the weight (they do exist), or any older 3/4+ of just about any flavor rated for the weight.

In my area, a truck to move that (and hopefully be serviceable and dependable enough to make the journey) would be $4000-5000 at a minimum (but maybe I have high standards).
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Have to agree with 93Cobra2771. If your lifestyle hasn't needed a full-size PU to date, that is a big expense to buy a used TV, fix up the TT for travel, then park it again. From your p.s., I am guessing you plan on buying a used TV, well that could have fix up costs also or you will pay more to buy it in ready shape.

I know you like the TT, but your life style may benefit to look at park models.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I would shoot for a 3/4 ton truck of whatever brand. Since you don't have a TV for it currently, that suggests it has been sitting or set up at a campground.

Just in case you haven't considered it, you need to make sure the TT tires and brakes are up to snuff for such a long trip.

So, the real question is, are you going to spend more on getting a TV, possible TT tires/service axles/brakes than you would spend on getting a TV that up till this point you haven't needed?

Just throwing that out there. I would have the TT axles and bearing redone, and check date codes on tires and such.

Good luck!
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow