cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm now completely confused about tow vehicles

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Background: I live in Florida and will be moving back home to Washington State early summer to be closer to family and friends. I have a travel trailer here in Florida that I want to take out to Washington. I've looked into having it hauled by a company, but that's very expensive and I would still have to get myself and 3 dogs out there. Flying dogs is also expensive, I've discovered. I love the trailer and don't want to sell it and get another in Washington. So, been looking into purchasing a tow vehicle to do the trip myself, but am now confused about what will work. My trailer is a 297 SL Sunnybrook Sunset Creek. Dry weight 6366 pounds, dry hitch weight 820 not sure about the GVWR. What size truck/engine would it take to safely pull this trailer across the US??
P.S. If anyone wants to take it out there for me at a reasonable cost, that would be great!
39 REPLIES 39

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
What a great opportunity for a cross-country camping adventure! A half ton with v8 might do... but 3/4 ton certainly would be better with that hitch weight, and should be plenty.

Getting work done at CW? Hmm, I hope they get it done on time for your departure. They wouldn't be my first choice... or second, or third...
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Skip the 3/4 and get 1 ton SRW if you can. Large gasser will work perfectly.
Get a used one. 10 or 15 years old is fine unless money is easy.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to go with renting a 3/4 ton. Once delivered you give it back.

If you intend to pull the TT often stick with a 3/4 ton.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished a long search for a vehicle. Used cars.com and autotrader.com to help with pricing. For your price range ($10,000 if I read it right) you are going for a high mileage, older vehicle. Unless the 10,000 is just a down payment. If the vehicle has been taken care of high mileage should not be a problem. 95,000 miles on my (new to me) 1500 did not scare me. Check with dealers and test drive.

Ford F250s appear to be less expensive than Chevy 2500s. With Chevy a 2002 to 2008 with an 8.1L will pull 11,000# - 12,000# TT with a weight distributing hitch. 2009 to 2013 needs the 6.0L with 4.10 axle ratio. 2014 and newer had the 4.10 almost standard. With the Ford F250 you need a 6.2L and it appeared that most was able to tow what I needed. Towing capacity was checked with towing guides at trailerlife.com.

The trailer should have a sticker on the side or maybe in a cabinet that will give you the GVWR. You listed the dry weight. Just don't add more contents to overload the GVWR.

Have fun and don't rush it. Just my two cents worth.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
At that price range, a half ton or 3/4 ton, but if you buy a half ton, buy carefully - all half tons are not made equal, and many 1/2 tons won't have the necessary towing capacity and cargo capacity to tow that TT.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
For your situation avoid Diesel. Diesel has many benefits. Higher cost and maintenance are a problem. It sounds like a good gas engine with 3/4ton chassis would be great for you. 4x4 is very popular in Washington State but not necessary. If you buy 2wd in Florida it will be somewhat difficult to get full value when you sell it later in WaSt.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Washington Bound wrote:
I have talked to Camping World service and will have work done there

That will be your first mistake.

I encourage you to read the many complaints that are apparently accurate and portrayed truthfully that are posted here on this forum. What seemed to happen regarding these complaints is beyond absurd.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I also think that if you need a truck anyway, get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and have a great trip.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you need a truck in the long run go ahead and just get the truck and tow it out yourself. It will be cheaper (even if you sold the truck at the other end, it would still probably be cheaper).

I would go 3/4 or 1 ton. It will hardly be any cost difference from a 1/2 ton. Even though some 1/2 tons could handle it, why mess around when you have to buy a truck anyway. Get a 4door or extended cab and no problem taking the dogs along.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I think your estimates for doing it yourself are a little high. 3,000 miles at 10 mpg equals 300 gallons of fuel at less than $2/gal is under $600. Assuming 10 days travel (avg 300 miles per day so as not to kill yourself) with 5 nights in RV parks (and 5 in parking lots) at $30/nt equals $150. May take a little searching to avg $30/nt. And if you prepared most of your meals in the RV you would not spend much more than you would not traveling. All total should be less than $1000.

You could travel some long days and mix in a non-travel day or two to rest and still make the trip in 10 days.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Want to go RVing? Forget about the economics of the whole deal. Get the F-250/2500HD crew cab and have a terrific time.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
imo a single rear wheel 3500 would be a better choice towing 10K. If you didn't need the trailer to live in, my advice would be to sell it. There are plenty of trucks and trailers for sale in WA. Good luck and have a smooth trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I also think buying a 250/2500 crew cab (or at least extended cab for the dogs) truck would be the way to go. Finding a good quality truck to fit your needs would depend on your budget. Ideally find a fairly new certified one still under warranty from a new car dealer. A gasser would be fine for that trailer since it appears frequent towing is not in your plans.

You could even get by with a newer 150/1500 with the right towing package, engine, rear axle.

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
It's been 6 years since I've made the trip Florida to Washington, but I have some idea about what is involved. But still a bit nervous about making the trip without an experienced second driver. But loved the traveling cross country.
Here's my calculations so far:
$3800 lowest bid for hauling my TT from Florida to Washington via transport service. $400 to ship dogs via air, $600 my ticket to fly out there. So about $4800 hard costs for sure. Still would have to buy a vehicle when I get out there so truck cost would be a wash either way, (except maybe a bit cheaper in Florida)
Guessing about $1000 in fuel to tow TT out there myself. Plus $200 in food, $200 in campground fees, would stay in Walmart parking lots about half of the time or more. Other expenses $300. So total of about $1700 to do it myself.

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Unless you plan to tow it around other than to just get it there, then buying a truck over hiring someone to tow it there will be much more expensive unless you just want the truck anyway. When you start figuring the cost of owning a truck with depreciation it is big.

I would keep the truck/tow vehicle for use in Washington. If I don't buy one here in Florida, then I would have to buy one in Washington. Vehicles are cheaper around here than out there where I'm going.
I can't afford a new or late model rig, so would be looking at a purchase price of about $10,000 max.