cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm now completely confused about tow vehicles

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Background: I live in Florida and will be moving back home to Washington State early summer to be closer to family and friends. I have a travel trailer here in Florida that I want to take out to Washington. I've looked into having it hauled by a company, but that's very expensive and I would still have to get myself and 3 dogs out there. Flying dogs is also expensive, I've discovered. I love the trailer and don't want to sell it and get another in Washington. So, been looking into purchasing a tow vehicle to do the trip myself, but am now confused about what will work. My trailer is a 297 SL Sunnybrook Sunset Creek. Dry weight 6366 pounds, dry hitch weight 820 not sure about the GVWR. What size truck/engine would it take to safely pull this trailer across the US??
P.S. If anyone wants to take it out there for me at a reasonable cost, that would be great!
39 REPLIES 39

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
I sold my '99 F250 Superduty Supercab 2WD 2 years ago here in WA for $8,000. It had the V10 with about 105,000 miles on it. It had fairly new tires, a tranny temp gauge, a 410 rear end and a short bed with a canopy. It also had a nice set of aftermarket wheels on it. No rust, no dents and the interior was really nice. I wouldn't have hesitated hooking it up and driving to Florida for a second. The woman who bought it had her mechanic look it over and he said if she wouldn't buy it, he would. She was the first one to come look at it.

My point is that there are good deals out there if you look for them. Secondly, even though I had been told the same thing about 2 WD trucks, I had no problem selling mine. I didn't get the same money I would have gotten for a 4WD but I felt I got a fair deal for it as did the buyer. I never had a need for 4WD in the 10 plus years I owned it here in the great Northwet.

Thanks for the great information. It sounds like I will be able to find a truck in my price range to tow my trailer. Love your new word "Northwet". So true, I lived there most of my adult life, so understand the weather. It's going to be hard to leave sunny Florida, but family and friends are out there waiting for me.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x2

At the price range you are at with TV purchase, 10k will get you a 10-15 year old 3/4 ton truck with high miles.

You aren't going to find a new enough half ton with good enough payload at that price range without having 250k plus miles.

Find an older 3/4 or dually with 100k plus miles. Truck prices are still holding pretty high, even on used models with lots of miles/not great shape.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
Washington Bound wrote:
boogie_4wheel wrote:
I agree with 93Cobra2271. Verify trailer tires, brakes, and bearings. Check roof vents for brittle plastic that could be damages by 70mph winds.

I recommend a newer half-ton rated for the weight (they do exist), or any older 3/4+ of just about any flavor rated for the weight.

In my area, a truck to move that (and hopefully be serviceable and dependable enough to make the journey) would be $4000-5000 at a minimum (but maybe I have high standards).

So, it's possible to find a 1/2 ton that would tow my trailer... are there specifications on the trucks that would tell me that?

Forget the 1/2 ton. Go 3/4 and drive safely and enjoy that trip. That sounds like a great ride across country.

You have to open the drivers door to get the ratings you need. And the Payload Capacity varies wildly in trucks.

You need the GVWR and the GAWR off the white sticker and the Cargo Capacity off the yellow. If you're going used, don't waste your time even going to look at a truck unless the seller tells you what these numbers are.

You have another problem here if looking for a 1/2 ton. Those numbers mean nothing, especially the Cargo Capacity unless YOU weigh the truck. Weight increases with everything and anything on and in a truck. Side steps, bed liner/rubber mat, tonneau cover.

Case in point. I just weighed my truck last week and I was 300lbs heavier than I thought I'd be. And that was with subtracting my 160lb massive body.

GVWR minus actual scale weight gives you your actual available Cargo Capacity. And it's going to be lower than what that yellow sticker says.

Now go to the trailer sticker and finds its GVWR. Take a safe 13% of that and there's your most likely Tongue Weight. Subtract that number from your actual remaining Cargo Capacity. That's what you have left for everything you'll put in the truck for the trip including you, dogs, everything you'll take with you and probably 100lbs of Weight Distribution Hitch.

It's getting uglier isn't it?

Be SAFE and enjoy the trip. Get a 3/4 ton truck chief. I'd bet you'd be pushing the limits even if you find a 1/2 ton with 1800lbs of Cargo Capacity per the yellow sticker. Your tongue weight is going to be over 1,000lbs. 100 for WDH. There's 1100lbs. Add you, dogs and everything else in the truck including full tank of gas. You.re eating into that 1800lbs real quick. And I'd bet your actual Cargo Capacity is LESS than that after you weigh the truck.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sold my '99 F250 Superduty Supercab 2WD 2 years ago here in WA for $8,000. It had the V10 with about 105,000 miles on it. It had fairly new tires, a tranny temp gauge, a 410 rear end and a short bed with a canopy. It also had a nice set of aftermarket wheels on it. No rust, no dents and the interior was really nice. I wouldn't have hesitated hooking it up and driving to Florida for a second. The woman who bought it had her mechanic look it over and he said if she wouldn't buy it, he would. She was the first one to come look at it.

My point is that there are good deals out there if you look for them. Secondly, even though I had been told the same thing about 2 WD trucks, I had no problem selling mine. I didn't get the same money I would have gotten for a 4WD but I felt I got a fair deal for it as did the buyer. I never had a need for 4WD in the 10 plus years I owned it here in the great Northwet.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
I also think that if you need a truck anyway, get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and have a great trip.

Thanks, that's what I think too. Would love to do the trip again.

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you need a truck in the long run go ahead and just get the truck and tow it out yourself. It will be cheaper (even if you sold the truck at the other end, it would still probably be cheaper).

I would go 3/4 or 1 ton. It will hardly be any cost difference from a 1/2 ton. Even though some 1/2 tons could handle it, why mess around when you have to buy a truck anyway. Get a 4door or extended cab and no problem taking the dogs along.

Thank you for your support and good information. I think I can find a truck that will do the job for a price I can afford.

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Want to go RVing? Forget about the economics of the whole deal. Get the F-250/2500HD crew cab and have a terrific time.

Yay! I like it. That's what I keep thinking, but not getting any encouragement from around here. Thanks!

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I also think buying a 250/2500 crew cab (or at least extended cab for the dogs) truck would be the way to go. Finding a good quality truck to fit your needs would depend on your budget. Ideally find a fairly new certified one still under warranty from a new car dealer. A gasser would be fine for that trailer since it appears frequent towing is not in your plans.

You could even get by with a newer 150/1500 with the right towing package, engine, rear axle.

Several members have said that it's possible to get a 1/2 ton that will do the job. If I were to look at that option, what specifications would I need? Engine size, heavy duty suspension, tow package, etc.??

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
I agree with 93Cobra2271. Verify trailer tires, brakes, and bearings. Check roof vents for brittle plastic that could be damages by 70mph winds.

I recommend a newer half-ton rated for the weight (they do exist), or any older 3/4+ of just about any flavor rated for the weight.

In my area, a truck to move that (and hopefully be serviceable and dependable enough to make the journey) would be $4000-5000 at a minimum (but maybe I have high standards).

So, it's possible to find a 1/2 ton that would tow my trailer... are there specifications on the trucks that would tell me that?

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:
At that price range, a half ton or 3/4 ton, but if you buy a half ton, buy carefully - all half tons are not made equal, and many 1/2 tons won't have the necessary towing capacity and cargo capacity to tow that TT.

How would I know which 1/2 might do the job? Axle, engine size?

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
What a great opportunity for a cross-country camping adventure! A half ton with v8 might do... but 3/4 ton certainly would be better with that hitch weight, and should be plenty.

Getting work done at CW? Hmm, I hope they get it done on time for your departure. They wouldn't be my first choice... or second, or third...

To me the trip would be a great adventure and I know I would love every minute of it. My biggest challenge is wondering if I should attempt it by myself. Probably won't have a driving buddy.
Who would you recommend if not camping world?

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
For your situation avoid Diesel. Diesel has many benefits. Higher cost and maintenance are a problem. It sounds like a good gas engine with 3/4ton chassis would be great for you. 4x4 is very popular in Washington State but not necessary. If you buy 2wd in Florida it will be somewhat difficult to get full value when you sell it later in WaSt.

Good point on resale in Washington.

Washington_Boun
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I think your estimates for doing it yourself are a little high. 3,000 miles at 10 mpg equals 300 gallons of fuel at less than $2/gal is under $600. Assuming 10 days travel (avg 300 miles per day so as not to kill yourself) with 5 nights in RV parks (and 5 in parking lots) at $30/nt equals $150. May take a little searching to avg $30/nt. And if you prepared most of your meals in the RV you would not spend much more than you would not traveling. All total should be less than $1000.

You could travel some long days and mix in a non-travel day or two to rest and still make the trip in 10 days.

Thanks! Those numbers do sound more accurate. I was just trying to guess on the high side because I'm considering so many factors. I love the idea of some long days and then stay at a nice spot for a day. I keep thinking that towing it myself is the way to go, but getting no support or encouragement from around here. The big deal is finding a reliable tow vehicle for what I can afford which is $10,000 max. But it seems like I could find something that would do the job.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Washington Bound wrote:
RavensFan24 wrote:
My problem with 3 dogs is finding space in a pick up for them, which is why I Still have a Tahoe. If they aren't big dogs, I'd go for the Crew Cab Silverado 2500. Since mine are big, I've been looking for a good Suburban 2500.

My dogs are small, 5 pounds, 8 pounds 18 pounds. But I wouldn't mind having something like a Tahoe, didn't know they could pull all that much weight. I'm thinking I will need towing capacity for about 10,000??? I like Suburban, that's what we towed the previous trailer with years ago. It struggled on the grapevine and some of the bigger inclines, but overall not bad. So you think a 2500 would do the job?

For your trailer a Suburban 2500 would do the job. Your total weight won't be 10k. Your trailer prob has a GVWR around 8000-8500. Suburban 2500 has a towing capacity of around 9000 or so. Payload would be the main issue to be concerned about, but with just you and 3 small dogs as long as you don't pack a ton of stuff in the truck itself, you'll have more than enough room. A 2008-2011 or so Suburban 2500 will run about $20-$30k depending on year and mileage. I haven't found any locally in FL, but I set an Auto Trader alert and have been checking them out as they pop up. Most are in the northeast or west coast when I See them available.

If I were you, I'd prob find a 2500 crew cab and call it a day. You'll have plenty of space and towing power and it'll be much easier to find than a 2500 Suburban.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'