cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really couldnt sell the SnowRiver

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago my wife fell down the steps and was not happy with the steps. last year she fell again but this time she broke 2 bones in her ankle. took 3 monthes to heal. pushing me to sell it. but the NATCOA and this TC forum has help me with ideals on step rails.
I try many rails made by factorys and even try make my own homemade rails. but no luck.
this year she fell again, lucky not serious, but she knows I wont sell the SR. cuz my SR and few other TC are well build.I had fw and tt in the past and all they do is fall apart. I was thinking maybe best put the SR TC on a 16 ft flat trailer? will it be redneck nerd looking set up? any of you got laugh at?
like to see some picture of your set up on the trailer.
My boat will fit fine on the truckbed.
thanks....
;)02' 6.0 (gas) CHEVY SILVERADO CREWCAB DULLY
Crossroad sunset trail 26rb TT.
2010 8.5 NorthStar Arrow TC.
Homemade boat trailer/redneck 12'sea king.
38 REPLIES 38

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mdw60 wrote:
jimh, why is it dangerous to ya?

Compared to other steps, they seem steeper, closer together, the steps are shorter, and not as wide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift offers very sturdy Glow Steps and the optional Glow Guide to help people out with this problem. The investment for me was well worth it.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
It's always intrigued my wife and I as to why any thinking person would have those very dangerous scissor steps to get into and out of a TC! A disaster just waiting to happen! Us having taken one lady to the hospital with a crushed ankle from falling off them and seen another a few sites away with a broken wrist from falling off when they collapsed, it's a no-brainer! Both packed up and went home and what fun is that? The crushed ankle required 2 pins and 2 surgery's and she was laid up for 7 months. We've kept in contact. Yes, they sold the TC and got a 24' TT after she could walk again but the ankle joint has limited movement now and her Doc told her it always will have. Thanks to the scissor steps!

If we personally had to have scissor steps for any TC period, we'd never buy the TC and use our 5th wheel or a TT. Life's far too short to spend so much of it laid up from falls doing known dumb things when it's easily avoidable.

All our various TC units since 1988 have had a large outdoor carpeted welded steel rear porch (22" to 24" wide and 48" to 72" long) I made to fit the setup. Extremely solid! It's 2 steps down (the TC bumper and the porch carpet) from the TC floor and then a swing up 12" X 24" wide step from the porch to the ground. Each of the 4 steps have their surface 9" to 10" high to the next step. Very safe!

Snowriver did not use scissor stairs, their stairs were rigid and stored in the basement
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
They can put a power liftgate on the back of a pickup. Maybe there's room for one under the rear of the TC. That way DW can push a button and ride down.

You're lucky she is still willing to go camping with you. There may come a day when she says she will stay home unless you get something else.... and then what will you do?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
It's always intrigued my wife and I as to why any thinking person would have those very dangerous scissor steps to get into and out of a TC! A disaster just waiting to happen! Us having taken one lady to the hospital with a crushed ankle from falling off them and seen another a few sites away with a broken wrist from falling off when they collapsed, it's a no-brainer! Both packed up and went home and what fun is that? The crushed ankle required 2 pins and 2 surgery's and she was laid up for 7 months. We've kept in contact. Yes, they sold the TC and got a 24' TT after she could walk again but the ankle joint has limited movement now and her Doc told her it always will have. Thanks to the scissor steps!

If we personally had to have scissor steps for any TC period, we'd never buy the TC and use our 5th wheel or a TT. Life's far too short to spend so much of it laid up from falls doing known dumb things when it's easily avoidable.

All our various TC units since 1988 have had a large outdoor carpeted welded steel rear porch (22" to 24" wide and 48" to 72" long) I made to fit the setup. Extremely solid! It's 2 steps down (the TC bumper and the porch carpet) from the TC floor and then a swing up 12" X 24" wide step from the porch to the ground. Each of the 4 steps have their surface 9" to 10" high to the next step. Very safe!

Not a problem at all for those of us who are old but agile and have taken care of ourselves. If you can't hack it stay home! Stay sober and slim!

Bedlam
A bumper pull or gooseneck flatbed would make a nice sun deck with the TC on the forward half. I see many off-roaders putting their toys on these rear decks when traveling and swap to lawn chairs when parked. Your storage and weight concerns would be few with a setup like this - You could even have a large storage pod under the cab over for your bicycles and gear when underway.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
Can you just unmount the camper and set it on the ground and eliminate the need for the stairs?
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your wife has put up with ALOT so I feel bad suggesting it...but have you checked out the ramps for dogs? Maybe pair that with a platform...poor lady! Get her a trailer!!!

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
http://s846.photobucket.com/user/suds54/media/_DSC3873c72snowriverstairs-1.jpg.html

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
mdw60 wrote:
Two years ago my wife fell down the steps and was not happy with the steps. last year she fell again but this time she broke 2 bones in her ankle. took 3 monthes to heal. pushing me to sell it. but the NATCOA and this TC forum has help me with ideals on step rails.
I try many rails made by factorys and even try make my own homemade rails. but no luck.
this year she fell again, lucky not serious, but she knows I wont sell the SR. cuz my SR and few other TC are well build.I had fw and tt in the past and all they do is fall apart. I was thinking maybe best put the SR TC on a 16 ft flat trailer? will it be redneck nerd looking set up? any of you got laugh at?
like to see some picture of your set up on the trailer.
My boat will fit fine on the truckbed.
thanks....
My wife hid the bottle after my third fall. No more skent knees:B
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Something tells me you care more for the SR than the DW.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Quite frankly, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested getting a new wife!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 joking...... a deck sounds like it would be a great solution!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
n

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
A couple we met in Kirkland lake have stairs somewhat the same. they made a deck that they place at the door when stopped. It is a three step deck made out of a plastic that looks like wood. It is easy to put out they are both 81. I will try and find a pic.