cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the process of buying my first trailer, any advice?

Georgio1955
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have decided specifically the model of TT that I want and I am ready to take the plunge on my first RV, And quite frankly I would prefer to buy from my local dealer. But I felt like I needed to shop around to get a fair price to make sure I am not paying over market price. One thing I have noted is that it is very difficult to get a dealer to quote a price for a unit. They give you the MSRP and want you to make an offer. One guy I talked to wanted me to put down a refundable down payment to make an offer on a trailer. Anyway it seems to be far less transparent than buying a car, which isn't isn't always the most transparent process either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Since I am looking at a specific company and model, this is a factor as well.
18 REPLIES 18

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Try to buy local considering warranty service. And there will be. Go to the dealer with your best on line price and ask how close he can come to match. Depreciation on a new unit is cosiderable. Flip side is you get the factory warranty. Shop carefully. You are entering the off season. You may get a good deal.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway it seems to be far less transparent than buying a car,

Your right. Some things in this vid might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_u2JR51_Y
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
STOP!!!
Never ever buy new as your first ever RV. Depreciation the second you pull it off the lot could cost you more than a decent used trailer. There is about a 80% chance you will not keep it long enough to break even, so why not start small and used. That way when you decide either the RV life is not for you, or the one you pick just is just not suited to your wants you won't lose your shirt.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Georgio1955 wrote:
...One guy I talked to wanted me to put down a refundable down payment to make an offer on a trailer.

That's ridiculous. No money leaves the pocket before you have a written price - including all the dealer fees such as "prep" and "title fees".
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!