cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing Cover on Wet Trailer

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been raining here every day for the past 3 weeks and I'm beginning to think I live in Seattle. I winterized my rig and parked it for the season weeks ago, but I have been reluctant to cover it while it's wet and raining. My wife isn't keen on the idea of walking on a slick wet roof, either.

The forecast calls for daily rain over the next two weeks, and at any time that precipitation may turn into snow. So my questions is, should I cover my trailer with it being wet from rain, try and hold out for a dry day, or just forego a cover altogether?

I have a three year old ADCO cover (unknown model) and this is my second season with it.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
16 REPLIES 16

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
They tilt. I left mine tilted down about 3/4 of the way.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
What do yooz do with the radio antenna?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I would wait until it was dry. I am not sure how well the covers breath if they stuck to a wet surface.

If it does not get installed it would winter like many other TTs.

I like the cover because it keeps the leaves and pine needles off the roof.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to get on the roof to put the cover on. Lay it on the ground top of the roof cover facing up. Fold the sides over it fold the cover in half roll it up. Put it on the roof roll it out toss the straps over the sides pull down the sides of the cover, strap it down, done. You might have to move your ladder to get it over your ac cover but it is better than getting on the roof.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
I'd wait for a dry day. A wet rubber roof is slicker than axle grease.

LOL! Wednesday and Thursday look like they will be dry and sunny. I think the slippery roof should be dry and safe for the DW to ascend to greatness.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wait for a dry day. A wet rubber roof is slicker than axle grease.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
It sure has been a wet October in the Northwest. However the fall colors have been extraordinary and our two recent trips have been some of the best yet. Here in the Portland area we just had a couple of beautiful days that allowed me to winterize and dry my awning and slide toppers.

With a previous trailer I had an Adco gold cover with a white roof that kept the trailer wet almost all off season. I felt the only real advantage was to protect from the sun and keep wasps out of the air conditioner. The used 5er I have now came with a cover that I haven't used as the roof is steep and way up there. I wouldn't consider installing it while wet.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, everyone! I figured the cover is breathable and any moisture on the roof would evaporate and leave, unlike a rolled up awning. I think I'll give it a shot and put the cover at the first break in the weather. I just need to convince my wife she won't slip off the rubber roof if she takes it slow.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
yes it will dry, the issue isn't what will happen when the cover is on, it's more of getting the cover on.

Having been through this situation, my comments are. If it is not raining and the cover is dry, roof is damp it's not to hard to put on, but harder than on a dry trailer. cover won't slide around as easy, but will stick where roof is wet.

Now if the cover is wet, that thing is going to be heavy and a real PITA to install.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with those suggesting, if it's an Adco cover, go ahead and cover it. It'll dry.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I see no point in covering a RV. The sun will do more damage to the decals than rain or snow. A coat of wax will protect the gelcoat for a year.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I covered my 33'TT a number of years. Then I calculated the resale savings by covering (minimal) vs the cost if my wife or I fell off the roof (possibly $$$$$). If I could have figured out a safe way to do it I would still be covering.

I couldn't make the benefit worth the risk. I did preemptively Eternabond every seam.

Be careful.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, the covers designed for rvs breath (unlike the blue tarp approach) and it doesn't matter if you put them on a wet rv. A slick roof, though, is a huge issue. Falling off a rv roof could sure put a damper on next years camping season!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a Adco cover that was water resistant, but breathable. If raining, some water will get through anyway, so moisture gets in/out. I don't think it would hurt to put cover on, if trailer is a little wet.

I gave up using a cover, due to wind issues, and putting on/off by myself.

Jerry