cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing microwave in Northern Lite 10-2 CD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
In a previous thread I was looking for a microwave to fit in the overhead cabinet of our "new" 2002 Northern Lite 10-2 CD. The cabinet opening is 9.75 high and the height of the microwave that we bought (GE JE740DRWW) is 10.00. So how did I get it into the cabinet?

Part of that 10.00 is four 0.25 legs on the bottom of the microwave.

After removing the cabinet door and the trim at the top and at the bottom of the opening, I cut notches in the bottom front cross-member of the cabinet to allow the legs to pass through.

Once the microwave was inside the cabinet, I replaced the trim. The cabinet door was not replaced. The other cabinet door was moved a couple of inches to provide more clearance. The electrical cord passes through a hole I cut into the left end of the overhead cabinet and plugs into a 120 volt-outlet in the TV cabinet in the cabover area.

When the microwave is in operation, it is positioned such that the sides, the back, and the top have adequate space for air circulation.

When the camper is in motion, the microwave is shimmed in place so it cannot move.
10 REPLIES 10

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I did the same thing you did with an aftermarket micro. I put my locking door back on and turned some trim over to make a lip. I use foam to fill in the side space during driving. My glass plate rides on the bed. I have done what was needed to keep my micro a micro and not a macro mess.:) Bill

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Paradox123 wrote:
Mine is strapped down with plastic straps like those sold to strap down a TV.

I'm not familiar with these. What do they look like? Do you have a link?

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is strapped down with plastic straps like those sold to strap down a TV. I've also started removing the glass turntable plate when we are driving after I had two fly out of the microwave on rough roads.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
mooring product wrote:
I would reinstall the door.

Why?

It would just make it cleaner looking, like it was factory installed. Plus it would hide the 4 holes from the hinges.

Its just my opinion.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did a glob of silicone on each leg of a microwave when we needed to stop it from moving. It forms to the foot / feet and will not slide, but you can still get it out if you need to.

You could also screw in a little lip of wood or plastic in front of the microwave.

The only thing that would cause me any concern is if you are doing some major off road driving.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
kbaum wrote:
is there anyway to screw the legs into the cabinet floor?

I thought about that but couldn't figure out a way to do it.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
mooring product wrote:

Why?

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job!!

I have seen and owned TC's with microwaves with and without the cabinet door installed in front of them. I believe it is personal preference as long as the oven is secured properly. Although it sounds like you have figured out how to keep the oven in the cabinet while underway, is there anyway to screw the legs into the cabinet floor?
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job you did hedgehopper, but I also agree with mooring product in that you should reinstall the door.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.