cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insulating windows

GoDawgs
Explorer
Explorer
I desperately need to improve my campers ability to stay cool. I know reflectex is a popular option as well as the shrink wrap option. I'm assuming the reflectex is probably a little better for summer heat applications, but i was hoping someone could share the pros and cons of one vs the other. I realize I won't be able to see out when the reflectex is up and I know the shrink wrap can't be put up and taken down like the reflectex.
Also, has anyone used automotive heat shield, such as that used in the firewall of a vehicle? Seems like this would be better than reflectex.
9 REPLIES 9

smokedummy
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectix works, but after a while it starts to become partially translucent. The two window covers I have left permanently installed for the past year now let through a little grayish light, but the three covers I install intermittently are still opaque black.
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.

MoRookie
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering taking my tt to tint shop and seeing if that helps what do you guys think has it helped any of you

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
simple aluminum foil on the outside of the windows. Try to put it on the frame to leave an air gap.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
x2 with outside shades.
inside shades do ok, but if you take window temp you will find putting outside is big difference. my wife used the shade cloth from home depot. sewed a hem around it. many ways to attach to outside.
keeping the glass cool is the best way.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

coolbikeman1
Explorer
Explorer
GoDawgs wrote:
I desperately need to improve my campers ability to stay cool. I know reflectex is a popular option as well as the shrink wrap option. I'm assuming the reflectex is probably a little better for summer heat applications, but i was hoping someone could share the pros and cons of one vs the other. I realize I won't be able to see out when the reflectex is up and I know the shrink wrap can't be put up and taken down like the reflectex.
Also, has anyone used automotive heat shield, such as that used in the firewall of a vehicle? Seems like this would be better than reflectex.

Check out solar sun screens installed on outside of window. It helps keep sun from hitting the glass and heating it up. The custom made ones are not cheap. I used the self install ones from https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/rv-shades/ . They are cheaper and worked well for our travel trailer that we used a few summers in southwest Texas about an hour from Laredo.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectix will work to stop heat but be careful with its use. I used Reflectix on the door window to stop heat and morning light. Left it there while the TT was in storage, the next time out the door window fell down about three inches. The supports that hold the window up are made of plastic and they melted.

So my suggestion is to be sure the window can take extra heat the Reflectix will add to any window. Or place the Reflectix on the outside of the window to stop heating the window and trailer up.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectix works best here in S. FL. The tt walls are warmer than the Reflectix Windows. I even use it on the trucks side window that faces the sun when parked in the drive.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You should also consider window awnings to eliminate that hot sun shinning on them.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
For Windows, I think Reflectix will do a better job and will be easier to store. It's thin and light.

But, try the automotive heat shield and let us know how it works. Maybe it will be better?