cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance on a Permanent Site

Togger
Explorer
Explorer
I am in te process of getting insurance quotes for my new Wildwood DLX park model trailer. I have it set up on a permanent campsite with a deck and hard screenroom attached to it.

One agent has given me a quote for replacement value coverage that would also include flood insurance, so if the trailer was destroyed I would get a new one. They are quoting it as insurance on a permanent sructure.

The other agent I am getting a quote from insists that a travel trailer can only be insured at cash value, so I would get a depreciated book value if it was lost. This agent also claims that it is not possible to get flood insurance on a travel trailer as it is against FEMA regulations to do so.

I called the first agent back and they insist that they can quote replacement value and flood insurance as on a permanent structure. They are quoting it through American Modern Insurance Company.

I was wondering if anyone on a permanent site can share their experience with this. I wouldn't want to pay premiums on a policy that couldn't actually deliver as expected when the moment of truth comes.
3 REPLIES 3

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We like Foremost also. Site next to us had a tree fall over on the back 1/2 of 5th wheel on New Years Eve several years ago. He called just knowing he wouldn't get anybody because of holiday, but called anyway to make sure he was on record of notifying them. He and I were surprised that a live person answered and started the claim and answered other questions. Since that time was have been very happy with them.

Replacement value...good thing to have on a newer unit for about first 5 years, then maybe not so good.

Make sure you know what your buying and their definitions. "Flood insurance" sounds good to us being close to a river but turns out it wasn't like a "flood" as in a river flooding the trailer. Their "flood insurance" was in case the trailer was flooded by a sewer pipe. Not a water line or a dam breaking or the river but a sewer pipe.

"Sewer flooding" has been written on this forum before but I don't think our sewer is going to flood us, especially when we're on septic.

"Out buildings" also known as our shed were also covered up to a certain amount.

But that coverage (sort of like a second home) does not cover us when trailer is off from its permanent site. We have to notify our auto policy, then only if we are "legally hitched" does our auto policy kicks in.

The only thing I wonder about, is what happens if somebody comes onto the lot and trips and falls. Who's insurance then? The lot is owned by the park, we are just "leaseholders". Would a renters policy cover that, I don't know.

I'm talking good about Formost but I never had any claims processed. We did in the past have a plumbing problem and didn't know if we had any damage or not because of water was still drying. Trailer dried out OK in about a month and I forgot all about calling them back. About 3 years later they sent me a letter saying they were going to close out the claim.

Good luck

(Edited part) Our park has a lot of RV's and some park models and many people think they are covered by their auto policy. Which is not exactly right.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
When we were seasonal we had Foremost Ins. Our agent set it up and I believe it was replacement, covered our shed and golf cart liability as well. I was told to never hook it to anything without changing the insurance first. The coverage had to be acceptable to the bank as well.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact your Department of Insurance and inquire.

They govern & regulate the insurance companies, policies and costs

Delaware
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31