cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I extract my window - calling on all smart people

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
I have discovered a leak from my window in my slide out. This window is a horizontal slide window (1/2 stationary, 1/2 slide). I am not able to state the manufacturer of the window as there are no markings on any window in the trailer.

I have narrowed it down I believe (using a light spray from the hose) but am stumped on what is going on. What I have discovered is the leak seems to be between the stationary glass and the thin outer seal (glazing I believe it is called). I see some small seepage on the inside but much more is making its way down the wall and out the bottom (where I have removed the rusty screws holding the aluminum framing for the slide. I should note that all weeps holes are perfectly clean and this is not the cause, that I can tell. I see no evidence of any water making it's way to the window track other than a very small amount of seepage.

Has anyone else ever run across this type of issue? Is there another way to solve other than complete window replacement or heaven help me silicone caulk between the glass and the glazing?

Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS
8 REPLIES 8

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
peirek wrote:
peirek wrote:
forumcoach wrote:
Hehr Window I believe.
I have replaced the seals on quite a few of these. They do not need to shrink or dry up very much before they leak.
There is two different seals. The seal for the slider and fixed windows are a different size.
You do not need to remove the window to replace this outer seal. The slider windows are more prone to leak. I have found that when the fixed window seal leaks and gets through it is because the glass glue has broken loose otherwise it would not get through. If that is the case you need to have a mobile glass company come out or remove the window to bring it in for new glue.

You can order these seals here: www.parkin-acc.com

Thanks forumcoach. You believe a mobile glass company can execute the repair without removing the entire window? That would be the ticket for me. Would you believe any mobile glass company or one that specializes in RV windows?

So after pondering this over night I have to ask, are the seal and frame of the fixed window not water tight at the bottom? The water is not getting to the inside (sans a very small amount) and if it was would it not find its way to the weep holes and out? Still a little confused.

Mystery solved. Turns out what was leaking was the aluminum frame around the bottom of the slide. Yes directed spray on the window directly above resulted in water running downhill... Doh! To the naked eye the seal between the frame and the fiberglass slide wall looks fine. However, a little pressure applied to the bottom of the frame (which occurs each time the slide is brought in) revealed the caulking/sealant had lost its adherence to the aluminum frame.

Thanks for all of the replies and letting me vocalize this issue. Lesson I learned: Just because the caulking/seal looks good does not mean it is.... A little scary thinking about all of the "opportunities" this presents around the entire trailer.
Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
peirek wrote:
forumcoach wrote:
Hehr Window I believe.
I have replaced the seals on quite a few of these. They do not need to shrink or dry up very much before they leak.
There is two different seals. The seal for the slider and fixed windows are a different size.
You do not need to remove the window to replace this outer seal. The slider windows are more prone to leak. I have found that when the fixed window seal leaks and gets through it is because the glass glue has broken loose otherwise it would not get through. If that is the case you need to have a mobile glass company come out or remove the window to bring it in for new glue.

Thanks forumcoach. You believe a mobile glass company can execute the repair without removing the entire window? That would be the ticket for me. Would you believe any mobile glass company or one that specializes in RV windows?

So after pondering this over night I have to ask, are the seal and frame of the fixed window not water tight at the bottom? The water is not getting to the inside (sans a very small amount) and if it was would it not find its way to the weep holes and out? Still a little confused.
Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
forumcoach wrote:
Hehr Window I believe.

Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
Are you sure it is not leaking between the frame and the fiberglass side of the trailer? This is the most common place. Mine was leaking at the top and letting moisture in. You will need to pull the window, clean up both surfaces, then reseal around the window. This stopped mine, but not before I got a small amount of delamination under the window.

Ditto to my previous post. The water is not getting between the window frame and fiberglass. Very careful inspection along with very targeted water spraying has dispelled this as an option.
Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
First check the weep holes in the window frame to make sure they are clear of debris.

Second. I have had 2 leaks in windows and all I did was put clear silicone around the top. Stopped the leaks. Can't see it AND I didn't have to take any windows out. KISS theory.

Thanks for the response. It is not the weep holes they are free and clear. It is not the top of the window as I have been able to isolate to the seal area of the glass with very careful and light water spray targeting just this area.
Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

forumcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Hehr Window I believe.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure it is not leaking between the frame and the fiberglass side of the trailer? This is the most common place. Mine was leaking at the top and letting moisture in. You will need to pull the window, clean up both surfaces, then reseal around the window. This stopped mine, but not before I got a small amount of delamination under the window.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
First check the weep holes in the window frame to make sure they are clear of debris.

Second. I have had 2 leaks in windows and all I did was put clear silicone around the top. Stopped the leaks. Can't see it AND I didn't have to take any windows out. KISS theory.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.