cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance questions

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I've been shopping for a new van, and have run into a problem.

Out west, even if you plug in the zip code, Blue Book values for used vans are about 33-50% of what people actually pay. But insurance only values the trucks at Blue Book.

This is bad enough with my current van, which has only reversible mods to the interior (and some $$ suspension work). It would sell used for about the money I have in it, but KBB value is less than half that.

My plan for a new rig, though, involves more extensive upgrades. I will spend a total of about 4x KBB. I could sell it for what I will pay, and quickly, but I do not like to be so underinsured.

For classic cars, etc., my insurance company can 'insure to value' at a custom, non-KBB value. But -- and here's the catch -- not if it is a daily driver. Only for a second or third car.

Have any of you looked into this? Found a solution?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
7 REPLIES 7

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I have multiple policies with State Farm. They're not the cheapest, but they don't give me any carp when it comes time to pay on a claim and I never need to get a lawyer to get a fair payment from them. They're a good company to do business with.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
In a total loss claim on the vehicle, the insurance company will add in the value of aftermarket modifications and additions to the vehicle when they determine the overall value of the vehicle. Both times I've made total loss claims on vehicles (one burned down in a fire, the other was in an accident), the insurance company valued the vehicles much higher than I could ever have sold them for the day before they were totaled.

That is good news, but I wonder if it might depends on the company and policy. My current agent did not hold out any hope of that.

But, thanks to folks' advice in this thread, I contacted an independent agent who tells me that, through Progressive, they can get me the coverage I want. Thank you, everyone!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
In a total loss claim on the vehicle, the insurance company will add in the value of aftermarket modifications and additions to the vehicle when they determine the overall value of the vehicle. Both times I've made total loss claims on vehicles (one burned down in a fire, the other was in an accident), the insurance company valued the vehicles much higher than I could ever have sold them for the day before they were totaled.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I didn't realise the options.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
it depends on the insurance company, they each have slightly different guidelines from their Underwriters. But many will offer an "agreed cash value" policy instead of the default "actual cash value (book value)". The catch is, they don't have to agree with your version of the "agreed value". sometimes that takes an independent appraisal or documentation & receipts for the modifications. sometimes it requires a compromise, you meet them in the middle at a value you can live with, even if its less than what you think the real value is.

It helps to go through an independent agent with experience insuring modified vehicles.

Nothing to add, because I would say this is spot on. If your current insurance agent can't get you a policy that works for you, find one that will.

I switched from a captive agent to a Independent many years ago. Saved thousands of dollars doing so. Last year I had everything re-quoted through Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, and AmFam, and the Independent was still the least expensive with the best coverage.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would find another ins co.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
it depends on the insurance company, they each have slightly different guidelines from their Underwriters. But many will offer an "agreed cash value" policy instead of the default "actual cash value (book value)". The catch is, they don't have to agree with your version of the "agreed value". sometimes that takes an independent appraisal or documentation & receipts for the modifications. sometimes it requires a compromise, you meet them in the middle at a value you can live with, even if its less than what you think the real value is.

It helps to go through an independent agent with experience insuring modified vehicles.
Jim