cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent use of diesel engines.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies to mods & others- while this is SORT OF off topic, I also think that maybe this is the right place for this- crosses over to Tow Vehicles and diesel MHs for users who may let them sit for moderate time periods.

I will soon be the owner of a small diesel tractor that will often go one to two months without being used.

I was always aware of gasoline getting old- but I'm scared that diesel is a bit more particular and that it might form gunk after a few months...AND fuel pumps and fuel lines and injectors ARE a bit more persnickety than a 1950 carburetor.

Anything that you MUST do as the weather gets cold?

Anything that you MUST do if you let fuel sit for a couple months?

(PS, I would include "really want to do" in with saying "Must")

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
..it needs to be treated with fuel stabilizers and biocides.
As weird as it sounds biocides are needed to kill off the organisms that love that grade of fuel.

We've taken turbofan aircraft out of service for contaminated fuel tanks because this is a thing.
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The key is keeping the fuel cool and keeping the fuel dry. Under ideal conditions, diesel fuel can be stored between six and twelve months. To extend the life past twelve months, even under the best conditions, it needs to be treated with fuel stabilizers and biocides."

- google
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tractor that I didn't use for 4 years. Put a jump box on it, glowed it for 30 seconds and it lite right off and ran fine. Still does to this day.

I've had 8 YO diesel fuel that I have used. Ran fine.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My Duramax will sit for a couple of months, or more, because it's only used to tow the condo. I have a 91 gal in bed tank along with the standard tank and fuel can sit for many, many months. Never had an issue.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE