cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

internet options

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering, what do campers (particularly in more remote areas) do for internet? The obvious answer is "we're camping, don't need it" but I'm lucky enough to have a job in which I can work remotely, so we can travel without using up vacation days. I have 2 different hotspot devices (one AT&T, the other T-Mobile) and of course we're in an area that's pretty much dead for both (or very slow EDGE network).

What solutions have you found? Satellite internet any good?

Thanks in advance!
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
10 REPLIES 10

Bobj616
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the technomadia website ,they are full timers who work on line from their vintage bus all over the country. Also Gone with the Wynns has a few videos about internet connections and solutions.
2015 Arctic Fox 25Y
2013 F250 6.2

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
The boosters are not magic. They do extend available service. They also sell 120ac adapters for the house or using while connected to shore power. Altitude helps the external antenna. On my truck and Jeep I have found the middle of the hood the best spot for the 4" rubber antenna.

They also sell home specific units. Those devices light up an entire room. A friend needed one for on call work emergencies. He went from no in house service to reliable 3g/4g anywhere in the living room. He placed his mifi next to the internal antenna. Then wifi to his computer.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
great info wcjeep. my father-in-law (where we're staying in Maine) has a verizon tablet with hotspot capability, but he has no signal at all (where ATT/T-mobile have at least edge network). I'll look into a booster. This is our first time here in Maine, and I didn't realize how remote we were going to be (poor planning on my part)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a consultant so I can also do my work from my computer. We were on the road last year and I ran into two spots when I had no cell phone or hot spot connections. The Iron Range in MN and the Rockies in MT. Some of the campgrounds had wireless in their Activities Room which came in by satellite; others had no service at all available to their guests.

As you have read this satellite service can be a bit touchy at the campgrounds, fortunately I could work off prime hours.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T and TMobile use very similar technology (GSM). You would be better off dumping one of them (TMobile) and using Verizon which depends on CDMA. There are exceptions and overlap on their tech. Then get a cellphone booster. Having both technologies with a cell phone booster will minimize down time.

The following linked item will boost upto 4 devices at one time. They also sell cheaper single booster devices. The more expensive item does boost more signal strength. I recommend placing your mifi on or next to the internal antenna. I average 35db signal strength increase. The cheaper Sleek device I average 18db signal strength increase. With the booster I have cell and data service miles beyond other users.

I have Verizon. The CDMA tech works better in the mountains. The Verizon 4g is GSM. In July, I had Netflix where others had just enough signal to text.

Weboost (Wilson Electronics is the old name) does sell other antennas. However, every antenna has a downside. Different antennas can help 1x and 3g while hurting 4g. The included 4" rubber antenna is nearly indestructible and is mostly neutral.

Wilson Mobile Pro

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I live pretty remote in a rural area and only have three options for internet; satellite, direct line of sight nod or wireless internet off the 3G-4G hotspot device.

Line of sight nods usually have trouble due to the amount of trees in the way and require a large tower and likely not an option if you are travelling. The 3G-4G hotpsot device I had worked well and is fast, but it relies on actually having a cell phone signal, can be problem in many spots in Canada, likely less in the US. Also you may pay a pretty high fee for a small amount of data (i.e I paid $130 per month for 20 gigs :E )

I switched to satellite and I find it works well, especially for what you are looking to do (i.e. not streaming videos) It does get a bit laggy especially at high traffic times, but overall not bad for basic internet usage (emails, some web surfing). You will also likely get a lot more gigs of data for a decent price. I see you having no issues working off satellite service.

This is my experience where I live, you will likely have a lot more options for a lot lower of a price in the USA. Here in Canada we have one of the highest cost for internet and cell phones in the world, lucky us :S
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the tips, I don't need video streaming or VOIP, so maybe satellite is a possibility

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Does satellite internet work? Yes. Is it pleasant? Usually - no. But it depends on what you're doing.

Folks who choose satellite usually do so under duress - there's no other choice. Transfer speeds are OK now (they used to be abysmal) but *latency* is still, and always will be the issue.

It simply takes a long time for those electrons/photons to leave your computer travel 22,000 miles to the satellite overhead, 22,000 miles back down to the base station then many more miles from the basestation to the server you're accessing.

Email, surfing the web - you'll be only mildly annoyed with satellite. Video streaming, voice over IP, you'll be extremely annoyed with satellite.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that Satellite internet is not good...but that was one person's opinion. We have both Verizon and AT&T. We were supposed to be able to work off the Verizon and we were going to dump AT&T but have found we need/want both. Verizon won't let two of us on at the same time....more correctly, it slows down and for me, won't open anything...BUT it says I'm connected! (whoopee). I've found that one or the other or both work in different locations. As for when you're in the dead zone...there are boosters available. We bought one years ago but it was worthless. You might talk to the Verizon folks about a new booster. BTW ..when it wouldn't work, they let us discontinue our contract without a penalty. We had to do it thru the main phone #...not the local office to get that done.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you just can't have everything. If you want remote or internet?