cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intro and questions regarding towing

rvphotouse
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, I have followed this forum for years but this is my first post. I previously owned a 40 foot motorhome and am scaling down to a trailer and need towing advice. I have never towed a trailer. I own a 2013 Chev Suburban 3.42 axle and can tow about 8000lb. Cargo inside vehicle including passengers will not exceed 500 max. What would be the longest and heaviest trailer you would purchase? I will be traveling mostly throughout the West full time and am currently looking at Lance, Nash, Grand Design and Outdoor Rv trailers.
8 REPLIES 8

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with your search. Make sure you budget in a really good weight distribution hitch with built in anti-sway. Spend some time getting it perfectly set up. Your towing experience will be greatly improved.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Rvphotouse..."57000 lbs GVW" may be a wee bit too much for your tow vehicle! DOT may have an issue with that as well!

rvphotouse
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was leaning towards a trailer with 57000 lbs GVW and above comments confirm my thoughts unless I change my TV.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're a long time rv.net member then I'm sure you've read about payload capacity and tongue weights. Those will be the deciding factor of what size trailer you can pull. If you haven't read about them, I highly recommend that you do a search on either or both and bone up on them.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think your TV will be somewhat lacking for full time RVing.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rvphotouse wrote:
I own a 2013 Chev Suburban 3.42 axle and can tow about 8000lb. Cargo inside vehicle including passengers will not exceed 500 max. What would be the longest and heaviest trailer you would purchase?

I've been towing for years with GM's ubiquitous 5.3L gasser, same axle ratio, and although you haven't specified the engine if it's GM's ubiquitous 5.3L performance won't be significantly different compared to older versions. Yes, a newer 2013 does benefit from a bit more power from that 5.3L and a more capable narrow ratio 6-spd transmission compared to my older wider range 4-spd but I'd have to mostly agree that I wouldn't want to tow anything weighing much more than 6000 lbs loaded and ready to camp, perhaps less in your case considering you intend to tow in the west where significant upgrades will be a mitigating factor. Believe it, no way would you want to be towing 8000 lbs in the mountains with this truck. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with coolbreeze.
Weight is more important than length...look for something around 5K.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
About 22' and 5,000lbs. Have fun.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL