cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction post

IndianaTC_dream
Explorer
Explorer
I might be slow on the uptake but I didn't see a welcome post so here goes. I'm scanning all the info and experience I can from everyone else because I have the weird dream of retiring early and traveling around in a TC with the DW and myself. We have already have a 2017 F350 DRW and want to upgrade the suspension before we purchase a TC.
28 REPLIES 28

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
markowwes wrote:
......If the dealership will let you, load the unit you are looking at and go and weigh it. ......

You do not need to load the TC in order to weigh it. Most dealers will have portable scales and can weigh the TC and your truck, separately. There is no reason to worry about weight distribution. Almost all of the weight will be on the rear axle. I doubt any dealer is going to have insurance coverage that will allow you to load up their RV and take it out on the road.

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the site
Good to see that I’m not the only one dreaming of that day, already have a setup but just spend too much on toys to be able to walk away from the steady income. If the dealership will let you, load the unit you are looking at and go and weigh it. That will tell you what mods you may need or if you are totally to heavy. If they won’t let you, maybe you need to go to a different dealer. Just saying.

Good luck, hope to see lots of retirement pictures so I can dream more.

Wes

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are still in the think phase, I have a couple of recommendations based on my experience doing what you are planning.

First be careful about overbuying and getting an oversized TC. Sure the space looks great but instead think about what you really need. I highly advise against slides! You will pay a lot in weight for very little actual useable space. If you do get slides make sure you can use the RV with the slides in. That would include stopping on the road to use the facilities, or prepare lunch or take a nap. That would include full use of the RV if you are parked in an area such as a side street where you cannot open the slides or you want to be stealthy.

Get a TC with at least enough space for 2 large AGM batteries (about 300 AH total) and a couple of full sized solar panels. Oversize your batteries and solar to accommodate camping in the shade and cloudy days so that you can avoid running a generator.

Don't waste space on a dry bath. My wet bath is easy to dry with a squeegee and saves lots of space and weight.

Get a TC with a cassette toilet so you can camp without the need to visit dump stations. A cassette can be dumped in a primitive vault toilet at a dump or even using a flush toilet. In an emergency you can even dig a cat hole depending on your location.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Some of my friends retired early and are not happy they did so.

That would make a good topic.

Agree.

And "early" means different things to different people. If they weren't happy, at what age did they retire?
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Some of my friends retired early and are not happy they did so.

That would make a good topic.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
IndianaTC_dreamer wrote:
PS: The plan is to travel the western US boondocking and RV sites for a few months at a time

Glad to hear your plans were not full-timing.

You will enjoy traveling around the western US. Did the same thing after I retired.

I'm a former Hoosier now living in Oregon and wintering in Florida.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
IndianaTC_dreamer wrote:
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I got a few chuckles reading them all. 1st off I do have thick skin and can take hazing, razing, or being a newbie rather well after 22 years in the Army. The wife and I been married almost 27 yrs and I havent drove her away yet but we do plan on experienting before we plop down any serious $$$. Thank you guys for the advice about waiting on any MOD's until after we purchase something. Definately looking at Larger hardside 1 or 2 slides. We went to the Iniana RV show and the Louisville Boat and RV show and didnt see one TC period. The closest dealer to us is lil over 2 hours away in Hammersville, OH (Mike Jones RV). We plan on making a drive over to that dealership so we can look at what they have, try to get a feel for the size and all. Thank again for the welcome

Mote: We are near Bloomington IN

Hey, we're about an hour East of you. We went over to Mike Jones RV last summer. They have a pretty good selection of new truck campers. It's well worth the drive to get a feel for what you'll want.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

IndianaTC_dream
Explorer
Explorer
PS: The plan is to travel the western US boondocking and RV sites for a few months at a time

IndianaTC_dream
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I got a few chuckles reading them all. 1st off I do have thick skin and can take hazing, razing, or being a newbie rather well after 22 years in the Army. The wife and I been married almost 27 yrs and I havent drove her away yet but we do plan on experienting before we plop down any serious $$$. Thank you guys for the advice about waiting on any MOD's until after we purchase something. Definately looking at Larger hardside 1 or 2 slides. We went to the Iniana RV show and the Louisville Boat and RV show and didnt see one TC period. The closest dealer to us is lil over 2 hours away in Hammersville, OH (Mike Jones RV). We plan on making a drive over to that dealership so we can look at what they have, try to get a feel for the size and all. Thank again for the welcome

Mote: We are near Bloomington IN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, that crazy dream ain’t just in your head! Others have the same dream!
You’re over halfway there with the truck. And with that truck, there really isn’t a TC on the market it won’t handle, either stock for lighter units or with some mods like you’re thinking for the big boys.
If you’re not ready to take the big plunge yet, why not get an older camper and get after some campin part time as your work/life allows.
Anywhere from a few to 10 grand will get a very nice and serviceable older used camper.
And wait on suspension until you know what you’ll be hauling. Your truck will get most all campers “home” without any help then you can do what is needed for the specific weight, if anything.
Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hooray! Another dreamer.

Welcome to the forum.

In our younger years with our boys we had a Camper and then a Motorhome. We abandoned that method of outings and did tents until they left home.
in the early 90's we decided to see if we wanted to do another camper so we found an OLD 6 pac 8' camper self contained bath n shower too. Only paid $500 for it. We did that for 2 years and decided we loved it. So we searched for another newer or used camper. I had dealt with roof leaks on every camper and that motorhome which was brand new. So when we saw the Northerlite and the Bigfoot we said that is what we want. NO leaks from seams.

We got our BFoof 20 years ago and it now has almost 200,000 miles on it and it has been on 2 great f250's. We have been across the country many times, across Canada and all the way to Prudhoe Bay and across the Yukon.

One thing that is important. You and your wife have to enjoy each others company and be patient when moving around in the camper..,hahaaa.

Good luck in your search!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy from a fellow Hoosier,
We're down in the southeast portion of the state.

Good group of people here that will be happy to help you spend some money : )
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
Do not mess with your suspension until you have purchased your camper and actually hauled it around for a while, as your suspension may be set up just right. No sense in potentially wasting money on something you really didn’t need. Definitely get your camper and see if you like the lifestyle before you sell off everything! We love our camper as we move frequently and seldom stay in one place for more than two days. However, we agree that if we were to stay someplace for more than a week on a regular basis a fifth wheel would be better for us. For now the TC is perfect!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Like others have said, run the truck as is before jumping on the "upgrade the suspension" band wagon.

Torklift Stableload work wonders for my truck.

Probably the worst part of owning a truck camper is loading it on the truck. Sometimes I nail it 20 minutes, other times it borders on taking an hour... this is all due to where I store the truck camper and don't have level ground leading up to my shop.

Here's my load up video which went pretty well.

I never take the camper off the truck when traveling, because I have a motorcycle to ride around and check out the areas I go.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator