cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter and battery sizing to power my camper microwave

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am getting all sorts of misinformation on this and hope someone can give me correct scoop.

I am planning to replace my LA battery in my truck camper with two, 100 ah Lithium batts (probably SOK). I also need to install an inverter, really just to run my microwave. It’s a 900 watt MW that draws 1350 w according to the manual. Looking at a couple of 2000 watt pure sine inverters. But I am getting conflicting info, even from the manufacturers, as to whether two 100ah lithiums and a 2000 w inverter will be adequate to run the microwave .

Does anyone have definitive information on this question, or can you point me to a truly reliable source for answers?

Thanks in advance!
82 REPLIES 82

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
My approach is to buy good stuff from the start because there’s not much economy in having to do a repurchase…

3 toms

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for all your help. Here is where I am at with this, and I'd appreciate your thoughts:

Plan is to install 2, 100 ah lithium batteries, a 2000w inverter and a DC-DC charger. (again, just trying to power 1350w microwave as my largest load.

I'm looking at 2 possible approaches.

1.I simply buy batteries, inverter, dc-dc from Renogy so everything is the same manufacturer. Avoid any interconnection, compatibility issues.

2. I prefer some specific components, so the other option is: Buy 2, 100 ah SOK batteries. A Victron Orion 30 a DC-DC charger (Im told they are superior). Then the Renogy 2000w inverter that you guys have been talking about and recommending here.

I am not looking for the cheapest, I am looking for the safest, most reliable approach. What say you? Option 1 or 2, or a different one?
Thank you!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
otrfun wrote:
For the sake of discussion, I will say this: *IF* this $300 (US) 2000 watt Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-US inverter is capable of 4000w for 5 sec, it would make it one of the best performing high-frequency 2000w inverters on the market, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, this is a huge if. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
X2 - Maybe it means 5 seconds before the blue smoke appears??

3 tons
Could be, but I hope not--lol! From a bang-for-a-buck, consumer point-of-view, it would be awesome if the Renogy could produce 4000w for 5 sec. Who wouldn't want that kind of performance for $300?! Once/if word got out, it would be a hands-down best seller. Unfortunately, until proven otherwise, I'm just going to believe Renogy's official literature which says it produces 4000w of peak power. A spec that's on par with the vast majority of budget, 2000w high-frequency inverters.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
“For the sake of discussion, I will say this: *IF* this $300 (US) 2000 watt Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-US inverter is capable of 4000w for 5 sec, it would make it one of the best performing high-frequency 2000w inverters on the market, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, this is a huge if. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

X2 - Maybe it means 5 seconds before the blue smoke appears??

3 tons

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
If you get the 40 amp there is a pin that can be pulled to limit it to 20 amps.

oh thats good to know makes that a no brainer then. can leave it on 20 and use 40 only when I realy need it.. thanks
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you get the 40 amp there is a pin that can be pulled to limit it to 20 amps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
otrfun wrote:
Huge kudos to our dc to dc charger for keeping our lifepo4 charged while we're on the road. Without it, we'd only get a fraction of the use out of the inverter (and a/c unit) that we do.

which DC to DC did you go with, I am looking at a renogy but trying to decide between the 20 amp or the 40 amp.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
LaneW wrote:
otrfun wrote:

Me, I'd give the Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2 a try. Amazon sells it for $306 with a 30-day return. Even if it only has a 4000 watt *peak* surge/power rating (vs. 4000 watt for 5 sec), it still may work. For me, it would be worth the risk of a simple return to potentially save $400-$800.

That's a good suggestion - and low risk.

But I just looked at this Xantrex: https://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-806-1220-PROwatt-SW-2000-p/806-1220.htm

More expensive, for sure but the specs say:
1800 watts continuous power output
2000 watts for 5 minutes
3000 watts surge (peak power)
Pure sine wave output (< 5% THD )

5 minutes @ 2000 watts? Am I reading that right - that's differerent from peak power, I assume? I'm thinking that would easily run my MW

zantrex used to be good.. for what its worth the renogy can handle 2000 watts continious but they are smart and still only recomend 1800 watts continious so you not flirting with that line, but that is aceptable if your only running the microwave. if you start running an microwave and coffee pot at the same time then you will have issues.

the renogy is also <3% THD

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
LaneW wrote:
otrfun wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
no, it is thier one that is on sale for 369 cdn right now and includes battery cables and a remot control

2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter
SKU: RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-CA

Steve
Thanks for clarifying, Steve. I have no reason to doubt you were quoted 4000 watts for 5 sec. I've had all kinds of specs and claims quoted to me over the years.

Interesting that Renogy fails to advertise this outstanding capability anywhere in writing. All their online literature and specs simply claim a generic 4000 watt *peak* surge/power rating.

For the sake of discussion, I will say this: *IF* this $300 (US) 2000 watt Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2-US inverter is capable of 4000w for 5 sec, it would make it one of the best performing high-frequency 2000w inverters on the market, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, this is a huge if. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Really? I'm trying to verify this. How did you get the info? I am just about to pull the trigger on an inverter and want to make sure it will power my 900 w microwave that shows a draw of 1350 watts, as stated earlier. I have been wavering between Renogy, GoPower and Victron. Victron is a lot more expensive, but I want to do this right. GoPower is about $700 US and Renogy a lot cheaper. I don't want to cheap out, but don't want to spend the extra if the Renogy 2000 w in the $300 range will really work well. How do I confirm this?
Thanks!

it will run your microwave no problem. I put in a inqury ticket on there web paged and had to go back and forth with a couple emails to get the information I was looking for. so for the overload they said a few tenths of a milisecond but the max power should hold up to 5 seconds. there are plenty of reviews of people using it for tools and such which would be a harder starting current in my opinion, also several who use it for there microwaves. if you think about it your household 15amp breaker which most people run a mixrowave off of has a limit of 1800 watts but a much larger capacity to run over.. a 900 watt microwave could pull up to about 2700 watts at start up but that kind of in rush or what ever you want to call it only lasts a few milli seconds. on a electric motor it can last significantly longer.

I personaly wouldnt have an issue running my rv microwave off this one or even a larger countertop. but if your on the fence about it you could buy the renogy 3000 watt inverter on sale right now for 469.00 both the 2000 and the 3000 have plugs on board and the ability to wire it to the fuse panel so it can power any outlet in your rv. they also have the remote control pendent so you can set the main unit in auto and turn it off and on as you need it from inside the rv. I have my 2000 watt go power mounted in the front storage comparment by the batteries and then wired directly to my breaker panel so when I want to use the coffee pot or the microwave I use the remote panel to turn it on then switch it off when I am done so I am not drawing standby current.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LaneW wrote:
. . . I just looked at this Xantrex: https://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-806-1220-PROwatt-SW-2000-p/806-1220.htm

2000 watts for 5 minutes

5 minutes @ 2000 watts? Am I reading that right - that's differerent from peak power, I assume? I'm thinking that would easily run my MW
Lol!! We used to own the Xantrex ProWatt SW2000. The above specs are correct. It's an 1800w, not a 2000w inverter. Primary reason we purchased it was for the very low .5 - .6a parasitic current. Ran our microwave fine for about a year using 2, GC2 6v leadcell batteries. The microwave has a 1050w line input power rating; however, in reality it uses almost 1300w (why, I don't know; very little DC or AC voltage sag).

After we upgraded our TC with a DIY 200ah lifepo4 battery pack and 40a dc to dc charger, we wanted to run our a/c, too. The ProWatt SW2000 was a no-go, even with a Micro Air Easy Start installed on the a/c. Not surprising because the 1800w ProWatt SW2000 has very low inrush current (only 3000w *peak* power vs. 4000w *peak* power for most lower tier 2000w inverters).

Sold the ProWatt and upgraded to an Aims 2000 watt ?PWRI200012120S inverter. After a year and a half and 30,000 mi., the Aims continues to run the a/c unit (1400w), microwave, hair dryer (1800w), vacuum cleaner, etc. flawlessly---lots of very, very hard use in temps as high as 110 deg. Huge kudos to our dc to dc charger for keeping our lifepo4 charged while we're on the road. Without it, we'd only get a fraction of the use out of the inverter (and a/c unit) that we do.

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

Me, I'd give the Renogy RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2 a try. Amazon sells it for $306 with a 30-day return. Even if it only has a 4000 watt *peak* surge/power rating (vs. 4000 watt for 5 sec), it still may work. For me, it would be worth the risk of a simple return to potentially save $400-$800.

That's a good suggestion - and low risk.

But I just looked at this Xantrex: https://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-806-1220-PROwatt-SW-2000-p/806-1220.htm

2000 watts for 5 minutes

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LaneW wrote:
Really? I'm trying to verify this. How did you get the info? I am just about to pull the trigger on an inverter and want to make sure it will power my 900 w microwave that shows a draw of 1350 watts, as stated earlier. I have been wavering between Renogy, GoPower and Victron. Victron is a lot more expensive, but I want to do this right. GoPower is about $700 US and Renogy a lot cheaper. I don't want to cheap out, but don't want to spend the extra if the Renogy 2000 w in the $300 range will really work well. How do I confirm this?
Thanks!
Every installation has its own unique set of variables, so there's no way to guarantee any given result. Ultimately, the right choice boils down to a person's aversion to risk.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
LaneW wrote:
I have been wavering between Renogy, GoPower and Victron. Victron is a lot more expensive, but I want to do this right.
Also consider Outback. My 3400w is almost as heavy as my generator.

I've owned several lightweight and cheaper inverters and they seem to last about 4 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
no, it is thier one that is on sale for 369 cdn right now and includes battery cables and a remot control

Steve
Thanks for clarifying, Steve. I have no reason to doubt you were quoted 4000 watts for 5 sec. I've had all kinds of specs and claims quoted to me over the years.

Interesting that Renogy fails to advertise this outstanding capability anywhere in writing. All their online literature and specs simply claim a generic 4000 watt *peak* surge/power rating.

Thanks!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve