cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to be hooked to short power in storage? or not?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a storage place that not only has covered storage (metal roof/exposed sides), but it also has 30 and 50 amp shore power.

In the past, I've had our TT stored in the open with no connections

Better to have it connected to shore power when stored between uses/trips? or better to have everything (including the battery) disconnected?

Thanks for your thoughts
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
18 REPLIES 18

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Summer storage? Keeping it charged and ready for trips? Using it more than once or twice a year? Plug it in.

Winter storage? Using the camper only once or twice a year? Take the battery home and put it somewhere cool and dry, on a maintainer. Don't pay the storage facilities' inflated power charge.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine connected, while in storage, mainly to keep batteries up; though I have managed a couple months of non-use by disconnecting batteries.
2014 Allegro 36LA

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It depends.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My 5er alway plugged into 20 amp power any time in covered storage to keep battery charged. And to have power if I needed to do any kind of work or cleaning.