cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my truck big enough?

maxattack
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2012 ford f150 supercrew with a v8 5.0 axel ratio 3.55. According to the owners manual max trailer weight is 7700 with max GCWR 13500.

We are new to rving and looking at getting a zinger by crossroads. Model 328SB

dry weight 7734
GVWR 9740
lenght 36'6"

Looking for some seasoned RV'er out there to give me some good advice. I just want our truck-trailer combination to be safe.

thank you for your advice.
33 REPLIES 33

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 1/2 ton Ram. Max towing is 7,700. I used to pull a 24' Springdale - dry weight around 3,800. With six people and all our gear, the truck was fine but being a gasser, I could tell a difference especially on long uphill roads. It took us months to find a longer, larger bunkhouse while keeping weight low. Our current 32' Antigua comes in at around 4,500 lbs dry weight. I could pull more but this setup is just right.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you are new when you don’t include you TV payload max and even dry you are overweight. Length is almost 37 feet? Ever considered TV wheelbase? Advice...get a smaller TT or a bigger TV. UNSAFE!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
If you only plan on towing it 10-20 miles to your local CG each year then it could do it, anything more..........

NO.

I never understood this kind of reasoning. If a setup is overweight or dangerous it doesn't make any difference how far it travels. Accidents can happen anytime and a poor setup just makes the likelihood of an accident even higher. Most accidents happen within 5 miles of home.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Silverado, 5.3L, extended cab, 4 x 4, 3.73 gear ratio. Max towing is about 7800lb, gross combined is about 11,500 lb. I bought a 28-1/2 ft, wood framed, bunkhouse model with no slides weighing 4600 empty, with 2000 lb (maybe more) cargo capacity. After the trailer and truck are loaded I tow okay enough. I am not towing mountains, and can keep my speed going up hills, but definitely have to work the gas pedal to find the sweet spot to keep the speed limit and keep from over reving on long shallow sloping hills.

Loaded for boondocking 80 miles from home, I am maxed out on weight. You're aleady maxed out before you even load your TV and trailer.

With a half ton, keep the trailer weight below 5000 lbs, you'll be a lot happier as long as you're not towing in the mountains.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, a little humor saying no, instead of hell no. So sad.
BTW, who hasn’t seen Top Gun?

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's from the movie Top Gun, was totally irrelavent to this post. He must of been watching Neflix today.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Negative Ghostrider.....the pattern is way too big and heavy.

Who is ghostrider and what is a pattern?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
As stated no way!!!

tongue weight states 942 lbs.. After loading im sure would be up in the 1100lb area. Im sure you dont have enough payload for the truck.

And as stated the dry weight is 7734's. Loaded you will be well over the limit..

Youll burn that 5.0 up IMO trying to tow that. As well as the tranny..

Do you want to know what you can tow?

Post what the yellow sticker in the door states in regards to payload... Thats the deciding factor really..

Since your Ford is pretty identical to specs as my silverado I pretty much already know what you can tow..

Heres what you want..

Length: 36' 6"
GVWR: 9,740
Dry Weight: 7,734
Hitch Weight: 942

Here is the best you could get in a bunk house... Youll be comfortable with this. But get a trans cooler as large as you can fit, and get some sumo springs to help with sag..

Your TW will be up in the 750-800lb mark.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=292#Main

Hitch Weight 585 lb.
UVW 4880 lb
GVWR 7000 lb.

CCC 2120 lb.

Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tc8RQUk35M
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to ask, then the TT is toooo biiig!

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just figgure your TT is going to weigh the max weight on the tag, forget about the min weight.

get a TT that the max weight is less than the trucks tow rating
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you only plan on towing it 10-20 miles to your local CG each year then it could do it, anything more..........

NO.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you are way over on everything probably.
time to use the internet to get a basic idea on how to calculate tow capacity and a travel trailer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
no.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most 150 owners, even the Eco-boost owners, with Max Tow option, try to stay under 7,500 lbs actual trailer wt, due to payload, rather than pulling/towing capability. Also most would stay under 30' length, for best handling.

While you may be able to tow short distances, at lower speeds, this would not be a truck/trailer combination, that you could safely/comfortably take your family on a trip with. Loaded for a trip, that trailer could weigh 9K, and have a loaded hitch wt of more than 1K lbs.

Jerry

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Negative Ghostrider.....the pattern is way too big and heavy.