cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the EV transformation of the market over hyped ?

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting article about IC gas and Diesel and Electrical Vehicles. This would also include tow vehicles.

EV vehicles market domination over hyped ?

In some ways I think the manufacturers are giving us mixed messages. GM says that they will introduce about 20 new EV vehicles by 2023, yet on the other hand have just introduced a new 3 liter , 6 cylinder diesel for their 1500 truck series and new..or at least revamped 6.6 liter IC gas engine and 6.6 liter IC Diesel engine for their 2020 HD pickup truck line.

So what gives, as we used to say in high school ?
173 REPLIES 173

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I go North I drive 900 miles in one day only stopping to get fuel and food and use the rest room. Sometimes pulling a RV or boat and hauling a motorcycle.

So which EV will replace my truck? Any EV'S that have a 900 mile range while pulling a 10k pound RV and hauling a 500 pound bike. It would also have to power the A/C and the lights for a few hours of morning driving and evening driving.

It can't have a purchase price over 20k as well since I bought my Diesel used.

I think I will be waiting a while till my parameters are met.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Kona Electric with a range of 258 miles per charge.

e-Niro electric range 283 miles

Zoe electric range 250 miles

Tesla electric range 349 miles

Fetish electric range 211 miles

Rivian electric pick up 400 miles. It will climb a grade that would stall any ice vehicle

And this is the tip of the ice berg with sales at only 2.9% of new vehicles. When it hits 5% (and it has been doubling each year) watch out.

Terryallan wrote:
Over hyped, and doing their best to convince you to change your lifestyle to fit their model. EVs are at this time not practical for the vast majority of American people. They may be OK for riding around in the city, or going to the grocery store. But for real traveling, they are pretty much useless.

In the morning I will be traveling from the foothills of NC to the Outer Banks of NC. I will be taking the truck as the car cannot carry the gear DW says we need. Now I don't know of a EV that on one charge, will carry all that gear, and run for 8 hours with the AC, and lights on, and has 4x4 to go out on the sand.

Convince me I am wrong.

And yet. None of those vehicles will do what I am going to do in the morning. so they are useless to me. If I want a intown Electric vehicle. I'll just get a Golf Cart.

As for the Rivin. I looked it up. If I want to go ALMOST to my destination. Might work. But I prefer to go all the way there, and then drive around some, like to Dinner, or the store. Don't have time to sit while it is recharged.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Greg_B
Explorer
Explorer
They may find a niche market for some of the vehicles and could be a good idea for in town delivery vehicles, but until there's a vast network of extremely fast charging systems, they'll have a very difficult time of catching on.
04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Rivian electric pick up 400 miles. It will climb a grade that would stall any ice vehicle"

You actually seen that Rivian "climb a grade that would stall any ice vehicle" or actually drive 400 miles on a charge? Or are we talking the usual marketing hype?

Uh, isn't the Fetish in the neighborhood of $400,000?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Of course it's over-hyped. If it's all over the news then it's overhyped. EV's are not going to be outnumbering the ICE powered vehicles for many years. There are just too many markets where the ICE is a better choice. I can certainly see EV's taking over in large cities, ...

Fj12ryder hit the nail on the head !

I worked in engineering in the automotive industry for 31 years. I know people who still work in engineering and one who works directly on EV and hybrid vehicles. None of the believe that EV will "take over" a "significant" percentage of the market in the next ten year !

Ten years from now, there may be a few big cities around the world that have severely ICE vehicles. Heck, even today you can not drive into downtown London without a special pass !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kona Electric with a range of 258 miles per charge.

e-Niro electric range 283 miles

Zoe electric range 250 miles

Tesla electric range 349 miles

Fetish electric range 211 miles

Rivian electric pick up 400 miles. It will climb a grade that would stall any ice vehicle

And this is the tip of the ice berg with sales at only 2.9% of new vehicles. When it hits 5% (and it has been doubling each year) watch out.

Terryallan wrote:
Over hyped, and doing their best to convince you to change your lifestyle to fit their model. EVs are at this time not practical for the vast majority of American people. They may be OK for riding around in the city, or going to the grocery store. But for real traveling, they are pretty much useless.

In the morning I will be traveling from the foothills of NC to the Outer Banks of NC. I will be taking the truck as the car cannot carry the gear DW says we need. Now I don't know of a EV that on one charge, will carry all that gear, and run for 8 hours with the AC, and lights on, and has 4x4 to go out on the sand.

Convince me I am wrong.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course it's over-hyped. If it's all over the news then it's overhyped. EV's are not going to be outnumbering the ICE powered vehicles for many years. There are just too many markets where the ICE is a better choice. I can certainly see EV's taking over in large cities, but even there taxis will probably not be a good choice since they need to put in lots of miles/hours.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lessmore wrote:
Interesting article about IC gas and Diesel and Electrical Vehicles. This would also include tow vehicles.

EV vehicles market domination over hyped ?

In some ways I think the manufacturers are giving us mixed messages. GM says that they will introduce about 20 new EV vehicles by 2023, yet on the other hand have just introduced a new 3 liter , 6 cylinder diesel for their 1500 truck series and new..or at least revamped 6.6 liter IC gas engine and 6.6 liter IC Diesel engine for their 2020 HD pickup truck line.

So what gives, as we used to say in high school ?

Convince me I am wrong.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
From my point of view, initial cost is a stumbling block. That's mainly due to battery cost.

Dealers may be reluctant to sell EVs as there is little routine maintenance to be done.

In my case, I'm going to keep my ice for five years and then buy a used EV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.