cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is This a Travel Trailer or Park Model? - Salem 36BHBS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeing a 2014 Salem 36BHBS trailer that appears to be priced well below market value. Appears to be a TT, yet has a sliding door, perhaps making it more of a park model trailer.

If I purchased this, it would be used as a TT, as we like to roam about in the summer time. My truck can pull it no problem.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Also, any thoughts as to the quality of Salem trailers?

Thank you.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10
14 REPLIES 14

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Salem Villa 402 qbq, 40 ft, we use ours as a TT and pull if everywhere. Some refer it as a destination trailer, but called factory and they said lots of people are using this model like we do. So far and this will been the 4th camping season, we have had no problems getting into camp grounds or camping spots. But yes on windy days it tells you it is the boss.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
Hockeytchr wrote:
Love our Keystone 38fqds..... but cannot imagine towing it. Have it on our seasonal site. But I have seen others towing the same model down the road. If you have the truck to pull it....an the nerves to handle doing so, then go for it....

Why can't you imagine towing it?

The front of the trailer is curved just like regular TTs, so wind resistance wise it should be the same.

I towed my trailer home from dealer in April. Bought it in Eau Claire, I live in Waterown. Approx 180 miles. It was well under my weight capacities, but it was windy that day. I am a very experienced driver and hold a Class A CDL with NT endorsements. It was a pretty rough haul. I just couldn't keep the trailer straight. It was throwing me all around. I had to drive about 62mph Max to keep it in my lane. My front cap is pretty identical to the Salem. But the side wind just pushed the 40ft trailer all over. SRW without sway control.
On side note, when I pulled it to our site, near Antigo approx 180 miles, it was a calm day and it towed fine. Though semis and box trucks still pushed me around pretty good.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
srt20 wrote:
Btw where is the trailer at? Just curious, that's the same year as my buds trailer. And I haven't really talked to him much lately, but his daughter told me he is thinking of selling. Just wondering if it's his. We are both in WI.

It's located in Green Bay.

Ok, not same. Thanks

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Hockeytchr wrote:
Love our Keystone 38fqds..... but cannot imagine towing it. Have it on our seasonal site. But I have seen others towing the same model down the road. If you have the truck to pull it....an the nerves to handle doing so, then go for it....

Why can't you imagine towing it?

The front of the trailer is curved just like regular TTs, so wind resistance wise it should be the same.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
Btw where is the trailer at? Just curious, that's the same year as my buds trailer. And I haven't really talked to him much lately, but his daughter told me he is thinking of selling. Just wondering if it's his. We are both in WI.

It's located in Green Bay.

Hockeytchr
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Hideout 38fqds
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercrew
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercab
2005 Club Car
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
1995 17' Gilgetter Pontoon

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Had a keystone hornet 38bhds I used to pull. Had a slider and keystone labeled it a park model. Even had a king size bed in the master. Had lots of great times with that tt.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
My bud has that model, he uses it as a destination trailer. Says on a seasonal all summer, takes it home in fall.
I have a similar trailer. Keystone Hideout 38fkts. Sliding door, residential fridge, holding tanks.

Keystone calls it a TT, some dealers call it a park model, I call it a destination trailer or a TT. It's 40ft long and stays on my site all year.

I consider park models, no holding tanks, pitched roof, wood style siding. But I guess it really doesn't make much of a difference except maybe to the insurance company.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just bought a new 38 foot long Forest river travel trailer and it has patio doors and it is considered a trailer not a park model.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Good information, thanks!!

Yes, it does have holding tanks, which is a good thing!

And my payload is just under 3k, so I should be good in that department.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider that TT a Park Model. I did a bit of internet searching and it does have holding tanks. A true "Park Model" will not have holding tanks, and the toilet will be a residential toilet and plumbing is directly to a sewer.

Your Salem has an RV toilet, and holding tanks, so I think I would call this a "cross-over park model!" ๐Ÿ™‚

From my experiences, the difference between park models and an Travel Trailer:

Park Model has:

Sliding patio door
Residential refrigerator
Residential style toilet
No holding tanks
Real furniture (or stand alone furniture ... not built in ... like Dinettes).

Your's has a mix of both, basically a regular Travel Trailer with the Sliding door. I would still put this with "Park Model" though.

Salem is a good brand of camper. It's not a "top of the line" camper that a movie star would ever own, but Salem's are good, (Mid-range / mid-grade), depending upon the model style).

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe they call those park trailers. Still a TT but made to be parked in one spot. The only thing to consider is the CCC! Some have a very low CCC because they weren't meant to be towed all over loaded up.

The next step up from my trailer when I bought was a park trailer and its CCC was I think 450lbs! Not much there.

I just looked yours up. It has a 3k lb CCC. So it seems well suited for towing. I did notice it only shows a dry TW of 720lbs and a dry weight of 7900 lbs. make sure you load it heavy up front to get it back to a 12% TW.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River calls it a TT but it sure is big and will limit where you can go. Your truck and trailer will be almost 60' together.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900