Click
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
70 REPLIES 70

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Typically, the biggest cost in trucking is fuel followed very closely by insurance. Driver cost is nowhere near either of them. I would imagine insurance will leap to first place and leave fuel in the dust. That will surely drive the cost of shipping down. Everyone will want a very expensive cab that can't make enough to pay the bills. I am sure the average less than ten rig company will want to jump on that bandwagon. It will get them out of the rut of just making ends meet.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Sandy Munro testing Tesla FSD

https://youtu.be/AU_JA-fCPsQ

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
How will they refuel?
What if it leaves without paying?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Click

I doubt it will ever be legal not to have human driver on board to take control just in case.

Self driving buses
https://youtu.be/Ci4ekhVSbEI

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I worked in controls in a safety related field, one dedicated to preventing explosions in power plants. Ideally they will use self-testing triple redundant fault tolerant controls or something equal. Those systems are available. We will see.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
How will they refuel?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Letโ€™s just hope the operating systems for the autonomous trucks isnโ€™t based on Windows!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Ultimately they will likely be safer than human driven trucks. Will not get sleepy, distracted, driving while eating, etc. all while following driving rules and speed limits.

pnichols wrote:
Scarry is right!!

Imagine how full of integrated circuits, complex mechanical components, and communications equipment (for Internet and/or satellite connectivity) ... those trucks will be full of. All of that can, and will, fail here and there over time.

I hope that transportation regulations require those trucks to be clearly marked - including distinctive night lighting - so that the rest of us can stay well away from them on the highways.

P.S. Maybe I spent too many years working in the integrated circuits industry and too many hours watching those cable reality shows about big rig accident disasters in Alaska - most which have nothing to do with human error - but can be blamed on 80,000 lbs. of freight inter-acting with the laws of physics.

I worked in the IT sector also, it isn't only hardware, but the software that runs on it.
Too many time in the rush to deploy new programs, there were always a "Work Around" or a situation that wasn't tested.
what happens when the road is snow covered, and the chains required signs are up???
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scarry is right!!

Imagine how full of integrated circuits, complex mechanical components, and communications equipment (for Internet and/or satellite connectivity) ... those trucks will be full of. All of tlhat can, and will, fail here and there over time.

I hope that transportation regulations require those trucks to be clearly marked - including distinctive night lighting - so that the rest of us can stay well away from them on the highways.

P.S. Maybe I spent too many years working in the integrated circuits industry and too many hours watching those cable reality shows about big rig accident disasters in Alaska - most which have nothing to do with human error - but can be blamed on 80,000 lbs. of freight inter-acting with the laws of physics.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Ultimately they will likely be safer than human driven trucks. Will not get sleepy, distracted, driving while eating, etc. all while following driving rules and speed limits.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting but, kind of scary.