cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco 28bhbe or 29bhdb

Doug1395
Explorer
Explorer
Well its time to upgrade again . I spent years on hear reading before i even signed up. I thought so many times, never going to happen to me , not doing that ..... just like everyone else i started tent camping then i bought a pop-up then 3 years ago we got a jayco Jay flight 26bh pulling it with a 2012 chevy 1500. Then I bought a 2016 2500 gasser because it just wasn't comfortable pulling on long trips . Bla bla bla
Ok so anyways 26bh is a great camper but long trips or rainy weekends it just two small. Its me and my wife 2 kids 11 and 8 and one big dumb dog. We are looking at the jay flight 28bhbe and the 29 bhdb. Any and all criticism is welcomed because it usually turns out to be spot on. To much weight bad floor plans ? Are biggest wants are more storage for the kids stuff , living room slide (to cramped ) and a bigger shower would be great. thanks
27 REPLIES 27

john1928
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
We looked at the 28BHBE when we bought our current camper. The biggest reason that we didn't buy it was heat and AC vents. The bunks in the back don't have any ventilation, especially if you close the blinds. I grew up camping in a bunkhouse without good ventilation... it would get HOT in that bunk in the summer.

You're partially right. At least on the newer model years the top (presumably hotter) bunk in the 28BHBE does have an AC vent inside the curtained area, though the bottom one doesn't.

Neither have direct heat vents, but I've always found it more comfortable to try and deal with cold ambient air temperature than hot (Use another blanket or an appropriate sleeping bag). Of course I'm from Minnesota and tent camped for decades at least occasionally in temps well below freezing so I may be biased on that front...

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
x3.
If you feel the need for a little less weight in the same model TT, choose aluminum over Filon. Save hundreds of lbs.

I went back to stick and tin. Our previous 5th wheel started to delaminate in the rear at 10 years old. Major repair to fix. My cousin's 1987 stick and tin Wanderer got some soft wood in the rear. He took it apart, replaced the bad wood, put it back together and resealed the seems. It too was a bit of work but nothing had to be ordered like an entire wall with the smooth sides.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our Jayco 28RLS all over the southeast with our 5.4L F250. I'm very happy with it's quiet performance, but I like the hot rod sound of 4200rpm under load. Your GM would spank my F250 and send it a sympathy card. If you're comfortable with it, I doubt the truck will suffer. I never thought I'd see the day when 300+hp isn't enough to tow a travel trailer.
I like the 28BHBE out of the two. While our daughters were growing up, we never had a bunk house. We and they preferred the sofa bed once they got too big for the dinette bed. Our 28RLS with the sofa hide a bed serves now for guests and grandkids. We got spoiled with the recliners in our last 5th wheel.
The TV in the BHBE might be on an arm that allows it to be pulled out and angled. Our 28RLS has this so we can turn it toward the dinetter or recliners.
We're very modest. I never even saw my dad nekid. Much less me mudder. We slept in PJ's and left the curtains open for air circulation. Now we have a door to close off the bedroom and guests can dress in the fairly roomy bathroom. Never been a problem.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
We looked at the 28BHBE when we bought our current camper. The biggest reason that we didn't buy it was heat and AC vents. The bunks in the back don't have any ventilation, especially if you close the blinds.

We have the 28BHBE floorplan in a different brand and I can attest to this. Probably my one and only gripe.

What I do like is the direct outside access to the bathroom. No need for the kids to drag their muddy shoes through the trailer - go directly to jail without passing go!

I would have liked the outdoor kitchen, but didn't like the bed/bath swapped and exit on the other side.

Not sure what rig you have or the kind of terrain you live in, but my 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 struggled a bit on steep grades last summer. I have since upgraded a few things and it tows much better.
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera

want2camp247
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a jayco 26bh to a 28bhbe for the same reasons you stated. The big shower did it for my wife and I. We tow with a 2015 Yukon xl with the 5.3 engine with no problems so I am sure your truck will be fine.

Good luck.
2007 Chevy Tahoe LT
2008 Jayco Jay Flight 26bh
Eric, Tonya and kids Sydney and Danny.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
x3.
If you feel the need for a little less weight in the same model TT, choose aluminum over Filon. Save hundreds of lbs.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
Doug1395 wrote:
Does everyone believe my truck can handle these campers comfortably? I have an equalizer hitch already that I will be keeping.
A qualified yes. So long as you don't go crazy loading the bed.

Agreed you should be fine from a chassis/safety standpoint.
THe gas engine may not like long steep grades, but all in all your good!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Doug1395 wrote:
Does everyone believe my truck can handle these campers comfortably? I have an equalizer hitch already that I will be keeping.
A qualified yes. So long as you don't go crazy loading the bed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Doug1395
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I have two bathrooms in my TT. It is one of those things that once you have it, you won't ever want to be without.
They are somewhat rare though. I am glad to see someone else making one. Maybe there will be several to choose from when it is time for my next TT.

I have 2 baths and my problem is not with the layout or the bath itself. My issue is with the additional holding tanks. The additional tank maintenance and sewer hose connecting is simply not worth it for me. Instead of having one 1/2 full black tank. You have 2-1/4 full tanks. All of this just for the kids to have their own bath :S.
The 2nd bath is a no go for me. I removed the toilet and now have a great closet with exterior access. WE have no problem managing with one bathroom.

It's just DW and I and the Brittanys. Still, it is amazing how often we both use them at the same time. VERY convienient and a time saver. And it is the only way I would consider a mid bath right next to the big bed. One of us can use the rear bath without offending the other in bed.

And then there is the holding tank capacity. That was huge for us... and the reason I drove from Phoenix AZ to Sylvania OH to get it.
We do not frequent campgrounds unless we absolutely have to. We much prefer the solitude of being off by ourselves. Remote back country boondocking is our primary way of camping. Some of our trips will see us tucked away far from civilization for 3 weeks straight.
With 84 gallons of Black and 84 gallons of grey, we can do it comfortably.... That is us, The other side of the coin is I know of people that NEVER use their bathroom... Only the campground facility.. Showers as well.. Kinda makes me wonder why they have a TT,,,, But it's a free country.

I get it dog. What you like most about the 2 baths is what I despise the most.LOL...
I see your point. While I do go off grid occasionally it is not for long periods. I can see the benefits of the additional tank capacity in your scenario. 1-40 Gallon black tanks will generally last us the entire trip.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I have two bathrooms in my TT. It is one of those things that once you have it, you won't ever want to be without.
They are somewhat rare though. I am glad to see someone else making one. Maybe there will be several to choose from when it is time for my next TT.

I have 2 baths and my problem is not with the layout or the bath itself. My issue is with the additional holding tanks. The additional tank maintenance and sewer hose connecting is simply not worth it for me. Instead of having one 1/2 full black tank. You have 2-1/4 full tanks. All of this just for the kids to have their own bath :S.
The 2nd bath is a no go for me. I removed the toilet and now have a great closet with exterior access. WE have no problem managing with one bathroom.

It's just DW and I and the Brittanys. Still, it is amazing how often we both use them at the same time. VERY convienient and a time saver. And it is the only way I would consider a mid bath right next to the big bed. One of us can use the rear bath without offending the other in bed.

And then there is the holding tank capacity. That was huge for us... and the reason I drove from Phoenix AZ to Sylvania OH to get it.
We do not frequent campgrounds unless we absolutely have to. We much prefer the solitude of being off by ourselves. Remote back country boondocking is our primary way of camping. Some of our trips will see us tucked away far from civilization for 3 weeks straight.
With 84 gallons of Black and 84 gallons of grey, we can do it comfortably.... That is us, The other side of the coin is I know of people that NEVER use their bathroom... Only the campground facility.. Showers as well.. Kinda makes me wonder why they have a TT,,,, But it's a free country.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We looked at the 28BHBE when we bought our current camper. The biggest reason that we didn't buy it was heat and AC vents. The bunks in the back don't have any ventilation, especially if you close the blinds. I grew up camping in a bunkhouse without good ventilation... it would get HOT in that bunk in the summer.

We bought the 29QBS that has a (small) bunk room with an AC and heat vent. That has kept my kids cool in the summer and warm in the winter when we camp.

I've not seen a 29DHDB in person, but it looks like a nice floor plan... but the bunk situation looks the same as the 28BHBE.

We have an outdoor kitchen on ours and love it. I thought it was a gimmick at first, and wouldn't have paid extra for it... but now we absolutely LOVE it. We love cooking outside, not getting smells and extra humidity inside. It allows me to cook breakfast and my wife to cook dinner and still socialize with friends and family. The outdoor kitchen allows us to get drinks and fruit during the day without waking the sleeping kids, without letting AC out, without letting bugs in, etc. Its not for everybody, but we were surprised to learn how much we enjoy our outdoor kitchen!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:

Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires