cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco and travel trailer quality

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I posted a comment in another thread about a Jayco travel trailer model and the OP replied that he had not heard good things about the quality of Jayco trailers. I don't know which trailers have a good reputation for quality or not so I did a quick search on the Internet for rankings of travel trailers by quality. Jayco appears in several of those lists as being good quality. That makes me wonder.

Below is a list of the largest counts by manufacturers of a large search that I just did on RV Trader. I find it interesting that my dear friend Warren Buffet (I wish) owns the number 1 brand, Forest River. I don't hear much about Keystone, but I like a number of their plans, too. Jayco moves a lot of units, too. So who thinks Jayco is good, and who thinks they are bad, in terms of quality? My guess is if you're selling a bad product you're not going to get up or stay up in the rankings.

Forest River 10471
Keystone 8135
Jayco 3761
Heartland 2896
Coachmen 2280
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
48 REPLIES 48

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
That sounds like a great med. Is that something you take?

If he doesn't maybe he should. :B

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a great med. Is that something you take?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Well Ralph, you left the Forest River forum to come here and spew your negative thoughts. You've made 7 posts. 4 of them negative. It would seem you are going to be a great asset to this forum.

Well all I can say to that is no one forced you to read them.

I am curious though. Are you a self appointed moderator?

No, just sick of the negative whiners who think they know it all. Do your whining at your next Resist rally.

Ahhhh lighten up Francis.

Despite you firing the first shot across my bow I'll refrain from personal attacks. I will however offer up a public service announcement.

Alprazolam, available under the trade name Xanax, is a potent, short-acting anxiolytic of the benzodiazepine class—a minor tranquilize. It is commonly used for the treatment of anxiety disorders, especially of panic disorder, but also in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) or social anxiety disorder. It was the 12th most prescribed medicine in the United States in 2010. Alprazolam, like other benzodiazepines, binds to specific sites on the GABAA receptor. It possesses anxiolytic, sedative, hypnotic, skeletal muscle relaxant, anticonvulsant, amnestic, and antidepressant properties. Alprazolam is available for oral administration in compressed tablet (CT) and extended-release capsule (XR) formulations.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Well Ralph, you left the Forest River forum to come here and spew your negative thoughts. You've made 7 posts. 4 of them negative. It would seem you are going to be a great asset to this forum.

No, just sick of the negative whiners who think they know it all. Do your whining at your next Resist rally.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I know, Jayco does not use Lippert frames. They either use BAL frames or other locally sourced frames (Jay Flight line). And unless they just changed, Jayco uses Dexter axles and not Lippert axles.

Ralph Cramden wrote:
LOL..... Jayco, Thor, Forest River, Winnebago, Grand design, fill in the name of your choice. The common denominator is Lippert Components. The less Lippert stuff, or one of Lipperts partners such as Furrion you get, the better off you'll be and the less Tylenol you'll need.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bob213
Explorer
Explorer

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a few bucks, you might look at a Lance. Manufactured totally differently than any other TT built today. Also has a 2 year warranty
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL..... Jayco, Thor, Forest River, Winnebago, Grand design, fill in the name of your choice. The common denominator is Lippert Components. The less Lippert stuff, or one of Lipperts partners such as Furrion you get, the better off you'll be and the less Tylenol you'll need.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco makes great trailers and like any brand you will get what you pay for. Jayco has numerous models from what I would call starters to full time living. I owned a Jayco Eagle I towed about 30,000+ miles with no issues other than one tire failure on 2 year old tires. I traded the Jayco on a KZ Gold that's had a couple minor issues in about 2000 miles but the finish details seem to be better than the Jayco. I would still have the Jayco but DW loved the KZ layout.
Happy wife = Happy life!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Jayco 5vr bought new and have never had any trouble out of it other than recently the converter started acting wierd. My next one will be a Jayco. I don't consider the converter issue Jaycos problem.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the purposes of a merger is to consolidate your vender base. The RV industry did that decades ago. If you have seen one kitchen at an RV show, you have seen them all so to speak.

Mergers often consolidate purchasing, accounting and design engineering. Some day that my happen in the RV industry but it is not likely while they can sell more than they can make.

Quality has more to do with market demand than corporate merging. For all the winning and complaining that is posted, myself included, the public seems to be satisfied with the quality they get for the price they are willing to pay.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
That wasn't aimed at you Tom. Just in general for those who might believe quality took a spiraling plunge to the black tank. Sorry if it came across as aimed at you.

Thanks.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
That wasn't aimed at you Tom. Just in general for those who might believe quality took a spiraling plunge to the black tank. Sorry if it came across as aimed at you.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'