cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco vs Connect?

mariarharris
Explorer
Explorer
We became first time owners of a TT 3 years ago and loved it!! Our current trailer is a KZ Spree Connect and has been a great starter for us. We are looking to get a trailer thatโ€™s a little larger and have settled between KZ Connect 312 BHS or Jayco Whitehawk 31BH. We have a couple of questions we would love input on. 1. Quality of Jayco vs KZ TT. If you have any opinions or info, we would love to read it. 2. The trailer GVWR is different for each trailer with the Jayco being the heavier of the two. KZ GVWR 8300 lbs and the Jayco is 9200 lbs. We will be pulling it with a 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 which is rated at a 10,300 lb towing capacity. We are wondering if we are pushing the limits with the Jayco? Any and all help with this decision is much appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pull a 37 foot TT with any half ton truck.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with others that you're going to be borderline with the Jayco as far as maximum payload. The Connect not so much so but still pretty heavy when fully loaded with camping stuff and passengers.

As far as quality is concerned I've owned a KZ Spree Escape for six years. Other than a couple of minor issues (shower drain disconnected while traveling, electrical short in running lights, one stereo speaker that stopped working, all fixed under warranty). We've put 7,000 miles and 160 nights of mostly local camping and a few out of state trips to Florida, Virginia and Pennsylvania, and the trailer has held up nicely. I pulled into a campsite last month and the guy next to me asked if it was new.

Actually we are in the process of buying a Jayco TT (wife wants bigger bathroom and walk around queen bed) and will be doing the pre-purchase inspection over the weekend. Of course if you go on the Jayco owners forum you'll read about numerous problems and lack of customer support. I take all of that with a grain of salt knowing that people tend to seek out forums and advise only when they are having a problem. That said you need to go into a purchase with eyes wide open and with the mindset that none of the manufacturers get it perfect when putting together something as complex as an RV. There are going to be issues. What you want to do is minimize the number of surprises by doing a thorough inspection before buying. The other major issue is finding a dealer (ideally on that is local) that will provide support if/when you need it. Sometimes that's easier said than done.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco will be over 9000 pounds loaded with 1200 pounds of TW.
The KZ will be about 8000 pounds with 1050 pounds of TW. Both of those will likely put your truck over rear axle and GVWR. I do not recommend either for your truck. You should ask for feedback on how many half ton owners tow over 8000 pounds loaded RVs and how comfortable they are towing under all conditions.

What is your as equipped payload per the Tire and Loading Sticker on driver's door. Note what your truck has where mine says 2051:

I think a target of 6k dry is a better match for your truck. That is the comfortable limit for most half tons owners pulling RVs. Power and transmission gearing has improved greatly over the last decade which leads to significantly higher tow ratings. Payload and suspension components are have as much to match carrying capacity.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The max towing capacity of our truck is 10,300 lbs. We have sway bars and a distribution bar. We are considering an air ride system. The max load on the Jayco trailer is 9500 lbs fully loaded. Thereโ€™s not much chance we will load it with that much stuff but despite that I want to consider the possibility. The unloaded weight of the Jayco trailer 8300 lbs.

Most all of us would load that Jayco at or near 9000 lbs. You'll be surprised at how fast so little builds up. You cant trust that 8300 # weight either.

Anytime someone wants to tow a sizable TT with a 1500 series truck it's not a bad idea to go to a scale to get some real weights in order to see what kind of a foundation you have .

If you weigh your truck all loaded for a trip you will see your real truck weight as packed. The payload that remains is how much more hitch weight and gear inside the TT that you can carry and in turn...how much you can tow.

Adding air ride, super springs , timbrens, etc, does not change the payload of any truck and might not be necessary.
The WD hitch, will distribute some of the TT's hitch weight (tongue weight) to the trucks axles as well as the TT's axles.

mariarharris
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
FWIW, KZ owner here... Of the two, go with the Jayco.

First thing is - inspect both frames closely. KZ uses a frame that has I-beams made from 3 pieces of sheet steel welded together. This type of frame is much more flexible than the more common one-piece beams and can lead to issues. Jayco uses a Norco/BAL frame which is far superior and stronger.

The Connect has a cargo carrying capacity of 1390 lbs and the Whitehawk is 1725 lbs. The Whitehawk has a higher GVWR for about the same length of TT. The difference in the frame is a big factor in this. A CCC of 1390 lbs is on the low side and you could very well use it all when fully loaded for camping and it's possible you could even be over the GVWR if you don't weigh the TT and watch what you add (a full holding tank could even put you over the GVWR).

Look at the tires. Whitehawk has Goodyear tires (should be the new Endurance) while the Connect will have an off-brand unknown quality Ch*nese brand. KZ used to offer an upgrade to LRD Goodyear Marathons (which we have) but don't see that offered now. Also look at the load capacity rating of the tires. The Endurance tires most likely have a high load rating compared to the TT GVWR while the Connect likely has tires that are loaded up much closer to their load capacity rating. (You want as much reserve load capacity rating as possible to reduce the risk of a blowout.)

Another thing to possibly look at is the rating of the axles. I think you'd want 4400 lb axles on the Connect and maybe 5200 lbs on the Whitehawk. Axles loaded up closed to their ratings are more susceptible to bending & damage.

The Whitehawk has a few features I like better such as an easier to see TV from the seating due to the angle it's mounted at, walk-in shower and larger pantry. A MAJOR drawback in both of those TTs is the lack of a wardrobe closet. Where are you going to hang jackets and store misc. camping stuff & misc. supplies?

Why not look at a Spree S333BHK? Other than the kitchen island & slide, I'd say it's closer to a Whitehawk than a Connect in features. A Connect & Spree are the same basic TT and the Spree is the more upscale version with more features and the Connect is a more stripped down version (reflected in it's lower GVWR too).

Something often not considered is the "quality" of the dealer. There aren't many good ones out there that know how to properly make repairs and do warranty repairs and that don't argue about warranty work or try to avoid it altogether. Our KZ dealer was a disaster.

Wow!!! Fabulous information!!! Thank you!!!!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, KZ owner here... Of the two, go with the Jayco.

First thing is - inspect both frames closely. KZ uses a frame that has I-beams made from 3 pieces of sheet steel welded together. This type of frame is much more flexible than the more common one-piece beams and can lead to issues. Jayco uses a Norco/BAL frame which is far superior and stronger.

The Connect has a cargo carrying capacity of 1390 lbs and the Whitehawk is 1725 lbs. The Whitehawk has a higher GVWR for about the same length of TT. The difference in the frame is a big factor in this. A CCC of 1390 lbs is on the low side and you could very well use it all when fully loaded for camping and it's possible you could even be over the GVWR if you don't weigh the TT and watch what you add (a full holding tank could even put you over the GVWR).

Look at the tires. Whitehawk has Goodyear tires (should be the new Endurance) while the Connect will have an off-brand unknown quality Ch*nese brand. KZ used to offer an upgrade to LRD Goodyear Marathons (which we have) but don't see that offered now. Also look at the load capacity rating of the tires. The Endurance tires most likely have a high load rating compared to the TT GVWR while the Connect likely has tires that are loaded up much closer to their load capacity rating. (You want as much reserve load capacity rating as possible to reduce the risk of a blowout.)

Another thing to possibly look at is the rating of the axles. I think you'd want 4400 lb axles on the Connect and maybe 5200 lbs on the Whitehawk. Axles loaded up closed to their ratings are more susceptible to bending & damage.

The Whitehawk has a few features I like better such as an easier to see TV from the seating due to the angle it's mounted at, walk-in shower and larger pantry. A MAJOR drawback in both of those TTs is the lack of a wardrobe closet. Where are you going to hang jackets and store misc. camping stuff & misc. supplies?

Why not look at a Spree S333BHK? Other than the kitchen island & slide, I'd say it's closer to a Whitehawk than a Connect in features. A Connect & Spree are the same basic TT and the Spree is the more upscale version with more features and the Connect is a more stripped down version (reflected in it's lower GVWR too).

Something often not considered is the "quality" of the dealer. There aren't many good ones out there that know how to properly make repairs and do warranty repairs and that don't argue about warranty work or try to avoid it altogether. Our KZ dealer was a disaster.

Always ignore dry unloaded weights. They are meaningless and always go up. Without being able to go to a scale before purchase, use the GVWR figures. You'll add 1,000 - 1,500 lbs and possibly more to the UVW.

What are the truck details? Both of those TTs are very looong. You should tow either TT with at least a 3/4 ton TV. "Tow capacity" is not what you need to focus on. Payload capacity of the TV is the important number and is extremely important. The Whitehawk will have an actual tongue weight around 1200 lbs (12%) and could even be higher at about 1300-1400 lbs (15%). The weight of passengers, pets, groceries, firewood and misc. camping stuff can be in the 500-1,000 lb range which must be added to the tongue wt. On the high side, you could be looking at over 2,000 lbs of payload and the TV needs to be rated to handle that. You *could* take the truck to a scale to find it's actual payload capacity but I doubt it's anywhere near capable.

The Whitehawk will have an actual tongue weight around 1200 lbs (12%) and could even be higher at about 1300-1400 lbs (15%). The weight of passengers, pets, groceries, firewood and misc. camping stuff can be in the 500-1,000 lb range which must be added to the tongue wt. On the high side, you could be looking at over 2,000 lbs of payload and the TV needs to be rated to handle that. The Connect TT will of course have a lower actual TW.

It's always recommended to take a TT to a scale to get is's actual total weight (GVW), actual tongue weight and payload capacity. WDHs can also be fine-tuned at a scale. You'll need a good, properly rated and properly installed WDH.

The Whitehawk will have an actual tongue weight around 1200 lbs (12%) and could even be higher at about 1300-1400 lbs (15%). The weight of passengers, pets, groceries, firewood and misc. camping stuff can be in the 500-1,000 lb range which must be added to the tongue wt. On the high side, you could be looking at over 2,000 lbs of payload and the TV needs to be rated to handle that. The Connect TT will of course have a lower actual TW. It's always recommended to take a TT to a scale to get is's actual total weight (GVW), actual tongue weight and payload capacity. WDHs can also be fine-tuned at a scale.

Use a WDH that has integral sway control and not add-on friction bars. Minimizing/eliminating sway will be more of a challenge at 37'+/-. There are a number of factors that contribute to sway control that need to be addressed and you should learn about them.
Do NOT let a dealer or hitch shop install a WDH. Learn how to correctly set it up and fine tune it yourself.

Choose wisely and don't forget to post your decision!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"heavier of the two. KZ GVWR 8300 lbs and the Jayco is 9200 lbs. We will be pulling it with a 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 which is rated at a 10,300 lb towing capacity"

The alleged dry weight of the Jayco is 9200 pounds? Loaded you will be over 10300. However, a more important number you fail to mention. What is the Toyota's payload and what will you be carrying in it? You need to do more reading.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mariarharris
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
What is the max cargo limit on your truck and the loaded tongue weight of the TT. Just because you can pull it, does not mean you can carry the weight without exceedingly the max cargo or axle rating limit.

Our TT gained 1200 lbs. and 300 lbs. of tongue weight over the listed dry TT and tongue weight.

We mixed out our F-150.

Good luck

The max towing capacity of our truck is 10,300 lbs. We have sway bars and a distribution bar. We are considering an air ride system. The max load on the Jayco trailer is 9500 lbs fully loaded. Thereโ€™s not much chance we will load it with that much stuff but despite that I want to consider the possibility. The unloaded weight of the Jayco trailer 8300 lbs.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
What is the max cargo limit on your truck and the loaded tongue weight of the TT. Just because you can pull it, does not mean you can carry the weight without exceedingly the max cargo or axle rating limit.

Our TT gained 1200 lbs. and 300 lbs. of tongue weight over the listed dry TT and tongue weight.

We mixed out our F-150.

Good luck

x2 its about the payload not the tow rating.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II

We mixed out our F-150.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mariarharris
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
I tow the below trailer with my SR5 and I would not want to go any heavier. Iโ€™ve installed the TRD sway bar, Bilstein shocks, and Firestone air bags.

Thank you for your response. We do have sway bars and a load distribution bar as well.

trailer_newbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow the below trailer with my SR5 and I would not want to go any heavier. Iโ€™ve installed the TRD sway bar, Bilstein shocks, and Firestone air bags.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL