cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jayco vs keystone vs gulf stream

wmsrus
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the market of upgrading from a Coleman Westlake to a hard-side trailer. After doing our homework, we have narrowed it down to: 1. JayFlight 24FBS, 2. Keystone Cougar 24SABWE or 3. GulfStream Innsbruck 25SBW.
Questions we have are:
1. We can't find anywhere any kind of a insulation rating on the Jayco. What has been your experiences with keeping your Jayco's cool when the temp gets into the 100+ range? Also in keeping it warm if the temp dips into the below 40 range? (Both of these are valid concerns with my wife.)
2. The other two trailers weigh in the 6,000+ lb range. We have a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban, that the Chev dealer told us has a maximum towing weight of 7400 lb. To me the numbers seem a bit too close - do I have a valid concern or am I being paranoid?
Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say - you've always been great to turn to for advice.
Thanks
-Joe Williams
I can only go as fast as I am towed.
22 REPLIES 22

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I won't consider a Keystone product, I've seen to many problems with them along with all the complaints here.

I can say that the Jayco has some excellent build quality along with great features for a very low price.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Amy703 wrote:
We have a 2010 Gulfstream Kingsport 23RBS. We love it. It has been pretty much trouble free. It originally came with cheap tires that cracked in the first 6 months that we owned it. Gulfstream reimbursed us $100 a tire including the spare for a new set of Maxxis. We had to contact them directly because our dealer dropped the ball. Gulfstream was great. They also sent us a new knob for the stove. My husband broke the knob that ignites the oven and GS replaced it no problem.

We are looking forward to dewinterizing soon and getting out there.

THey know the tires they ship with are crap. "whatever china is shipping us' is what they put on. (The quotes being from our local gulfstream rep, during the purchase of our 2nd Amerilite line camper).
I too had complained to the dealer with no luck, so maybe if these crack as quickly I'll give the rep a call. Odd thing was, you couldn't blame it on weather/ sun because only one tire on each side was cracking. All purchased new on the camper.

Amy703
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Gulfstream Kingsport 23RBS. We love it. It has been pretty much trouble free. It originally came with cheap tires that cracked in the first 6 months that we owned it. Gulfstream reimbursed us $100 a tire including the spare for a new set of Maxxis. We had to contact them directly because our dealer dropped the ball. Gulfstream was great. They also sent us a new knob for the stove. My husband broke the knob that ignites the oven and GS replaced it no problem.

We are looking forward to dewinterizing soon and getting out there.
Visit my new cooking show! http://www.youtube.com/amylearnstocook

2010 Gulf Stream 23RBS
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
We are going on our fifth season with our Gulfstream Ameri-lite. Owning one teaches you that it isn't just the pretty things in life that matter. A plastic sink holds water as well as any and the OSB cabinets haven't fallen apart yet, what matters is the frame that take light 4x4 trails for miles, a real wood floor that wont crush under my weight and the ability to handle the extreme weather here.

We had a chance to trade it in when a hail storm got it and many others totaled. We looked but in the end a paid off, trouble free basic rig is better than taking a chance on a new one and making payments on something with a "real" sink.

A camper that is paid for allows more $$ for camping & traveling. And, the less interest paid is better, especially if you can't beat the standard deduction on federal income taxes. Hence, our last pop-up was in use for ten years, our Sunline TT for ten years, and we'll see how many years we use the Minnie. Likewise, my Tundra should keep us truck payment free for quite a few years...I certainly hope!

For us totaled really meant some dimples on the front cap, the rest of the damage was minor. I'd love more room, bigger tanks, etc. but I guess I have read too many "My brand new trailer leaks" threads. lol
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Gulfstream Streamlite 25TSS and couldn't be happier with it. When we first bought it, we towed it with a Toyota Tacoma and it handled it surprisingly well. We now have a 2011 Chev 1500 and are quite happy with the arrangement. The quality of workmanship in the Streamlite leaves me absolutely nothing to complain about.
I've been where you are and my best advice would be to say, make sure you have enough towing capacity after you add 1000 to 1500 lbs. over and above the dry weight. You certainly won't be happy with an underpowered tow vehicle. Leave yourself a significant cushion over what the dealers tell you.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
JiminDenver wrote:
We are going on our fifth season with our Gulfstream Ameri-lite. Owning one teaches you that it isn't just the pretty things in life that matter. A plastic sink holds water as well as any and the OSB cabinets haven't fallen apart yet, what matters is the frame that take light 4x4 trails for miles, a real wood floor that wont crush under my weight and the ability to handle the extreme weather here.

We had a chance to trade it in when a hail storm got it and many others totaled. We looked but in the end a paid off, trouble free basic rig is better than taking a chance on a new one and making payments on something with a "real" sink.

A camper that is paid for allows more $$ for camping & traveling. And, the less interest paid is better, especially if you can't beat the standard deduction on federal income taxes. Hence, our last pop-up was in use for ten years, our Sunline TT for ten years, and we'll see how many years we use the Minnie. Likewise, my Tundra should keep us truck payment free for quite a few years...I certainly hope!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
wmsrus wrote:
...My wife has vetoed trips made to the south of us because of the heat

Come on down, just look for the higher altitude locations. Very comfortable at Pine Valley Mountain, Duck Creek, Cedar Breaks, Panguitch, Bryce, etc.

Ah, the last time I looked Utah was not in the South! The South sucks in summer with Miss and Florida at the top of my list unless you do venture out midday.
Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed many spots in Utah. In fact rather camp there then at the Grand Canyon as places offer much more IMHO
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
wmsrus wrote:
...My wife has vetoed trips made to the south of us because of the heat

Come on down, just look for the higher altitude locations. Very comfortable at Pine Valley Mountain, Duck Creek, Cedar Breaks, Panguitch, Bryce, etc.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
This is not to your specific question but I'm throwing this out quality overview anyway.

We've never had a Jayco, but we have had an Gulfstream Amerilite, a Fleetwood Mallard, then a Keystone Springdale.

We purchased all 3 new and used them quite a bit.

I have a friend who has had two Jaycos and have had the opportunity to look at several others over the years.

IHMO the Jayco is the better built, with the Fleetwood and Keystone about equal and notch below. I prefer not to comment on the Amerilte.

I would strongly consider a Jayco as my next TT, nicely made for the price point.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
The AC on our 23FB works great. We were in CO last year with temps 100+ It kept the inside nice and cool. We do have the cold weather package that seals the bottom of the trailer and has increased insulation in the walls.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Weve had two Jaycos. 2 year warranty and great service. We had no warranty work on the first unit. The second unit had a problem with the oven it was fixed right the first time. The fit and finish was great on both units. I would buy another Jayco.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go south in the spring or fall then!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wmsrus
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to y'all for all the great information.
I contacted chevrolet live chat, got the rest of the info I needed to plug into the calculator (Big Thanks to scbwr!). Info generated: GCWR: 13,000 lbs., axle ratio 3.73, max loaded tongue weight 1,000 lbs., GVW 6,600 lbs. The data suggests I need to stay under 6,000 lbs total towing weight.
Thanks also for reminding me about payload, spoon059. I have some big bodies and gear that load into our Suburban.
Iraqvet05, I'm definitely taking your advice and have shot an e-mail out to Jayco regarding the insulation R-values. My wife has vetoed trips made to the south of us because of the heat - and I've been about everywhere north of here!
Thanks again!
-Joe Williams
I can only go as fast as I am towed.