Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joining the Amerigo Clan - End of the KIT's Road

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sunday, May 31, 2015

A tale of Two Truck Campers - End of the KIT's road

Well, life is an interesting thing, and in this case, a rare find plopped into my lap not too long ago when I put up a Craigslist ad looking for Amerigo parts for my planned rebuild.

In this case, it came in the form of a 1975 Amerigo 11'6" Snap-N-Nap up in Puyallup, WA, and no the silver Dodge its sitting on is not mine ;).

The current owner has had it for roughly sixteen years, and has done several modifications to it already, including updating the power panel in the unit to a modern one, adding electric jacks to the front and building some very nicely done steel corner brackets that bolt both through the corner and sandwich with a steel plate on the inside as well as bolting through under the wing.

The camper has spent all of its downtime under a carport cover so that it has stayed out of the bulk of the Northwestโ€™s weather, and hasnโ€™t been used in the last several years as the her current owners have upgraded to a GMC Kodiak and a custom made Chalet Truck Camper.

The similarity of this tale to how the KIT was when I first found her is not lost on me.

Having made the trip to give it a good inspection, Dawn and I decided that weโ€™d be able to get what we wanted in our remodel of the KIT by simply buying the Amerigo (ironically for the same amount as what we bought the KIT for nine years ago ๐Ÿ™‚ ), and restoring it.

Fortunately, the current owner is willing to hold onto it for us for a couple more months whilst we raise the funds really quick to make the purchase, as our savings was run down with a recent batch of dental surgery I had to undergo.

One of the first things I noticed is that he added a nice center aisle sky-light. In most Amerigos, thereโ€™s a vent roughly where the forward end of the skylight is, and thatโ€™s where the A/C unit is installed.

Weโ€™ll likely end up adding a second opening between the vent in the rear and the skylight to allow for the installation of a standard roof-top A/C unit, as the current owner has already upgraded the wiring in the unit to 30amp service, with a very nice marine twist lock plug.

Space-wise, in terms of floor space, the KIT and the Amerigo are fairly similar, the big differences being the floor plan and the fact that the Amerigo has a rear snap-n-nap, which adds a third bed (full size), oh and the two piece clamshell solid fiberglass bathroom that has a toilet that I can actually SIT ON without having to make major renovations, my one big beef with the KIT, I could never truly dry camp because I couldnโ€™t comfortably sit on the john because the bathroom was too small.

One of the first things we plan to do is shift and/or shorten the dinette by about 4-5โ€, so we can extend the cabover bed back a little ways to allow it to fit a full queen size mattress (the mattress platform is 4โ€™6 1/2โ€ wide). The fridge compartment door will still be perfectly aligned, as the inner wall paneling actually over laps it by a good 3-4โ€.

The KITโ€™s bed actually already does this, so weโ€™ll simply be recreating some more of the KITโ€™s floor plan.

The lower kitchen cabinets and probably the upper cabinets as well will be modified (and possibly refaced with kreg-joined solid oak pieces, similar to our Bighornโ€™s Kitchen).

The current owner has refaced a good part of the camper, which is why you see all the nice oak grain, the original wall paneling is the classic dark 70s wall board you commonly find in most similar era truck campers.

The yellow wallboard tacked over the top of the original wall paneling as a back splash for the kitchen is also going, and the range will likely be swapped out for the one in the KIT, as while its stainless steel like the range hood, its also fairly rusty inside, though the gas valves may prove to be useful.

The furnace is original, itโ€™s a very early NT series style Suburban furnace, and is pilot lit, instead of electric spark ignition like modern units. The fact that it still looks brand new tells me this camper really never saw any winter use. Weโ€™ll either replace it with the KITโ€™s furnace, or if thereโ€™s funds enough, simply buy a new NT Series unit.

All of the plumbing has been redone with properly installed PEX water lines.

The rear snap-n-nap bed is a one piece fiberglass and aluminum framed construction with sprayed in foam insulation (way ahead of its time in 1975). The quilting is made of vinyl or pvc plastic, and I suspect, will get replaced with FRP paneling or possibly wood.

The hinged sides will be taken apart and foam board will be sandwiched into the middle, at which point weโ€™ll reface them with FRP, or take a page from another Amerigo owner and recover them in marine vinyl.

One thing I noticed about the Amerigoโ€™s and love that this one still has (and that Iโ€™ve located the truck side for) is a Phillips Radio Inter-Com system .

I find it to be very amusing that it even came with a circuit diagram for the device itself.

Sadly, the current owner didnโ€™t have the other half, I managed to find the other half that goes in the truck cab for $25 (w/free shipping ๐Ÿ™‚ ) on ebay!

Well, that kind of wraps this up, the true adventure wonโ€™t start till later this summer, once I get the cash together, thatโ€™ll be when the real fun starts ;).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
47 REPLIES 47

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got the truck back, new passenger side air bag is installed, brakes are redone, getting used to needing a little less foot on the pedal now to stop well.

On my way north tomorrow (saturday the 19th) to pick up the old girl and haul her back to Oregon :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Update?

Got the cash in hand, waiting on my brother to finish the brakes on my truck so that I can safely transport it back to Oregon.

Currently scheduled for pickup on the 19th of September :).

FYI , if he is doing rear brakes you can substitute Chevy rear brake cylinders which have a larger bore and a direct bolt up . I did it to my 94 DRW and it helped those old drums stop better .

Already part of the plan, you can use Chevy or mid-90s Ford van for the 1 3/16" cylinders ;).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Update?

Got the cash in hand, waiting on my brother to finish the brakes on my truck so that I can safely transport it back to Oregon.

FYI , if he is doing rear brakes you can substitute Chevy rear brake cylinders which have a larger bore and a direct bolt up . I did it to my 94 DRW and it helped those old drums stop better .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update?

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Update?

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plywood with a piece of the laminate on the side and used a router to get a nice seam. My sink
was actually in showroom condition. I just replaced the faucet. I also kept the stove and the hood for which I painted with a high temperature paint.

I'm going to take a close look at the sink in the KIT and the sink in the Amerigo, I may end up swapping them if one ends up being nice than the other.

The stove is definitely getting swapped, and possibly the range hood as well.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cash is raised, if all stays on schedule, we'll be picking the camper up the second weekend of September :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Plywood with a piece of the laminate on the side and used a router to get a nice seam. My sink
was actually in showroom condition. I just replaced the faucet. I also kept the stove and the hood for which I painted with a high temperature paint.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
a roll of laminate is what I used. Of course hubby had to use all new wood as the old counters were warped. A roll is pretty cheap on ebay.

Did you guys use sanded plywood with an edge piece attached?

I'm still up in the air for what to use, won't make the final decision till we get her home and I can start doing some controlled demo work.

Using a sheet of hardwood plywood, staining it a nice color, giving it a nice edge piece and coating it using an epoxy product I saw a while back (basically gives you a nice thick coating on top) came to mind, but I'd need to make sure its food safe.

Current schedule puts us picking the camper up at the second weekend in September, unless more money becomes available sooner.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
a roll of laminate is what I used. Of course hubby had to use all new wood as the old counters were warped. A roll is pretty cheap on ebay.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting close?

$250 and a trip to my brother's shop to repair the rear brakes on the truck (one of the wheel cylinders is leaking), and we'll be golden.

Then, the big project of camper remodel begins.

First thing up will be taking apart the kitchen cabinets and the dinette to rebuild them using kreg-joined oak (the current owner started refacing the originals with oak paneling, but since we're expanding the the cabover bed to accommodate a full queen-size mattress, it gives me an excuse to just get the needed pieces and hardwood plywood to simply rebuild them.

I'm still debating what to use for the new counter top. The original one is in definite need of replacement.

The real fun will be finding matching vinyl and fabric to replace the missing cushion/pad for the couch so that it can actually be used as a bed.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Getting close?

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, and Friday, we reach the 2/3's mark on funding :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
I am embarrassed to say, I completely missed this thread. Sorry Joe.

I too had an Amerigo Snap-n-Nap. It was my intent to restore it. It had so much dry rot, I had to gut it. I discovered the fiberglass roof had more pin holes than there are stars in the sky. You could not see them from the outside. I think they main reason for so much dry rot. That was about eleven years ago.

As the world turns, I had a mandatory job change to a different city. Which put a severe limitation on my free time. I stumbled on my Bigfoot TC, that was usable while I did upgrades. I decided to part the Amerigo out. All I have left are photos. I really did like the Amerigo, but circumstances just did not work out.

Wayne

Yeah, so far this unit has proved to be solid, from what I saw when I went over it with a fine tooth comb.

I will be having to replace all of the roof vents, as they're all original to the unit and are showing their age.

I'm hoping the bathroom's fiberglass clamshell is flush with the ceiling, as I'm going to get rid of the tiny roof vent and replace with a standard 14" hole and probably a fantastic fan (most likely one of the two roof vents off the KIT).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express