Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just ordered a Blackstone Chianti. 280RDSB

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.

I'm really excited. I haven't had a travel trailer for a while. I was looking for almost a year. Going back and forth between Super C's, Redwoods Fifth wheels and travel trailers.
My home is in escrow and I'm going to go full time RVing.

I finally found a great setup with the Outdoors RV Blackstone Chianti. Or Blackstone 280RDSB.

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/black-stone-280RDSB/

This one has it all. (I added all the options). There were not many to add btw. That's why I love this brand so much. Blackstone is great value and well built.

In the bedroom:
A true queen bed on a slideout.
Full width closet with shoe racks, large hanging space and extra drawers.
2nd Fireplace, Smart TV, AC Unit and dvd/ Bluetooth sound system. All separate from the living area.

In the living area it also has Its own AC unit 50" Vizio smart TV, Fireplace, Second sound system w dvd/ Bluetooth sound system that controls inside and outside speakers
And opposing slides in the living area a with a large view window.
The couches are ultra leather
It comes with an non rotational HD TV antenna standard. I thought was really cool!
Fridge is a 2 way 9.5 cubic ft with wood panels. It looks cozy and it's laid out well. Tons of storage inside and out. Not to mention super insulated. And there's a receiver hitch on the bumper that I can add a hitch storage rack and bike rack to for extended camping. Maybe I'll throw a big cooler on there and some wood. ??
It also comes with an 80 gallon fresh water tank. I'm very happy about that. And wireless back up camera.

I'm a welder/weld inspector. Sometimes I travel from San Diego to Alaska for work.
I'm not a fan of hotel rooms that cost a fortune and don't even have a kitchen.
Anyone else been there before. Lol

I added 2 150 watt solar panels with 2-6V batts for boondocking. I may add the 3rd panel later if needed. It's pre wired standard for solar. I love that they thought of all these thing. I can't find all this stuff together in any other towable without spending $80-90k +. Also I do not want to use a generator unless I absolutely need to.

I met with Talon Jayo from Outdoors RV at the PDX RV show and it really made me feel great about my purchase. The companies focus is about quality not quantity and listening to the customers. He was one of the guys that designed this specific coach. They put there all into the design. It's amazing! Almost like a Redwood inside for half the price. Dishwasher and washer and dryer would be cool for future models. Lol.
http://youtu.be/ZiJekZSsjzY These trailers are solid!

Btw. I gotta plug my sales guy Bill Hartman and his store Apache RV in Happy Valley, OR. Apache RV 503-659-5166.
I've looked at RV's for a year. First place I went were there was no pressure or games. They have seasoned and long time staff. These guys are very honest, knowledgeable, and accommodating. Not to mention I got a very very good deal. Thank you Bill!!

My plan is to visit Florida later in the year. I'm an avid Pelagic fisherman. I love fishing and diving for lobsters and any saltwater fishing. This is going to be the perfect home for me while I tour Florida and take in some much needed sun.

My only concern is my TV is a 2008 Chevy Suburban 5.3L with the air ride suspension. So no long trips till I get my 2017 F-350. That's going to be a while till I can even order. Then it will be fall when it's delivered.

If your looking and you want something you can tow and full time in go with an Outdoors RV They are an excellent company. CHECK THEM OUT.
This is not a paid endorsement at all. I'm very happy with the quality of the brand and very excited to have everything I want without having to do a bunch of modifications.

One last thing I totally forgot! It comes with a remote for setup. The stabilizer jacks, the slides, and the outdoor lights can all be operated with a remote. They call it rapid camp. I call it a stress reliever.

Anyone else take a travel trailer through Florida? I'm glad I added the second AC unit just in case.
19 REPLIES 19

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Uramillionaire wrote:
i have a couple interior pics to post but this forum doesnt allow you to attach photo's like most forums?

Is there a trick to posting pics?

Here's the instructs

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15775751.cfm

thank you

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Uramillionaire wrote:
i have a couple interior pics to post but this forum doesnt allow you to attach photo's like most forums?

Here's the instructs

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15775751.cfm
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
The 5.3L 4wd Suburbans came with a max Gross Combined Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 12,000, 13,000, and 14,000 lbs depending on the configuration. This rating is the maximum permissible weight of the truck and trailer combination as it goes down the road. Using just the published curb weight of the truck and the dry weight of the trailer, your combination already exceeds the 14,000lbs limit by 95 lbs.

Your truck will definitely weight more than that published curb weight, especially once loaded up for a trip. The trailer also will weigh significantly more than the published dry weight with the options that you've added. You're talking about being at least 1,500 lbs over your combination weight once loaded up for a trip. That's really over for a light duty truck.

I wouldn't pull that trailer with the truck. Even if it was for very occasional trips. That comes from someone who's not part of the weight police group that's common on this forum. I normally keep my nose out of other peoples combos and weight. I'm the type of person that's ok with pushing the limits, even exceeding them every once in a while. But it's looking like you'll be well beyond the limits constantly. It's to the point of being unsafe and there's a very real concern that you might actually damage the truck with this combo.

Also, don't fall into the money pit thinking that a few bolt-ons here and a few upgrades there will get you by because it won't. That's something that's more effective when you're within your limits. Leveling systems, hitches, suspension upgrades, etc won't increase your tow capacity. The strain on the cooling system, transmission, engine, drive shaft, diff, and axles still exist. When it comes to towing limits it is what it is.

Unless the stickers in your door jamb give more ideal numbers, I would look for a more capable truck for the time being if you still want to get use out of the trailer. A cash beater could do the trick. You only have to drive it for 6 months or so.

Thanks Proximo!

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The 5.3L 4wd Suburbans came with a max Gross Combined Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 12,000, 13,000, and 14,000 lbs depending on the configuration. This rating is the maximum permissible weight of the truck and trailer combination as it goes down the road. Using just the published curb weight of the truck and the dry weight of the trailer, your combination already exceeds the 14,000lbs limit by 95 lbs.

Your truck will definitely weight more than that published curb weight, especially once loaded up for a trip. The trailer also will weigh significantly more than the published dry weight with the options that you've added. You're talking about being at least 1,500 lbs over your combination weight once loaded up for a trip. That's really over for a light duty truck.

I wouldn't pull that trailer with the truck. Even if it was for very occasional trips. That comes from someone who's not part of the weight police group that's common on this forum. I normally keep my nose out of other peoples combos and weight. I'm the type of person that's ok with pushing the limits, even exceeding them every once in a while. But it's looking like you'll be well beyond the limits constantly. It's to the point of being unsafe and there's a very real concern that you might actually damage the truck with this combo.

Also, don't fall into the money pit thinking that a few bolt-ons here and a few upgrades there will get you by because it won't. That's something that's more effective when you're within your limits. Leveling systems, hitches, suspension upgrades, etc won't increase your tow capacity. The strain on the cooling system, transmission, engine, drive shaft, diff, and axles still exist. When it comes to towing limits it is what it is.

Unless the stickers in your door jamb give more ideal numbers, I would look for a more capable truck for the time being if you still want to get use out of the trailer. A cash beater could do the trick. You only have to drive it for 6 months or so.

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
The faucet is off to the fwd side of the island. Its low and out of the way. I did sit in one. the TV is just high enough to clear the island. If needed an adjustable height and tilt bracket could be installed. It works for me. But I dont have any kids so that would be something for me to send you a video of when I get it.

Btw there is an option for a sleeper sofa instead of the theater chairs if you wanted to sleep 2 more. The couch is probably more cozy. It's also an ultra leather.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Have you actually been in one? I know that the 280RDSB is a really new floor plan and I was wondering how the TV viewing is from the theater seating? Did they put the TV high enough and is the faucet in your line of sight?

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just wanting a truck to get me through the next 6 months until the one I want arrives. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I'm going to either trade in or possibly loose money on selling it in a short period of time.

I do love the suburban just for comfort It's a pretty nice rig for a daily driver. I'll probably just hang onto it till it has over 200K miles. Everything works on it. https://youtu.be/9jUzbuYNYPs
I tried to sell it before to buy a truck but I couldn't let it go. Lol

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I thought Blackstone Chianti was a bottle of wine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Haha...me too. I thought he was talking about a bottle of wine. Cheap wine at that!

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
buying a rv is like buying a high end sports car ifyou have to ask about
milage orhow much you cannotafford it.

tow with proper equipment if you worry about milage do not buy a rv

I'm not really worried about mpg cost. I'm paying cash for the trailer. I'm ordering a new 2017 truck.

More im thinking how close is the nearest gas station if I am out in the middle of nowhere getting 7mpg.
That's just how i think if that makes sense. i like to plan ahead so i can bring a fuel caddy.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
buying a rv is like buying a high end sports car ifyou have to ask about
milage orhow much you cannotafford it.

tow with proper equipment if you worry about milage do not buy a rv

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
there is an 09 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 with trailer brake control already installed.

Do the 6.0's suck the gas? I'm averaging 14 mpg right now so I think I can handle a little worse if needed.

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I thought Blackstone Chianti was a bottle of wine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Exactly Why I had to have it lol

Uramillionaire
Explorer
Explorer
Yep Not what I want to deal with right now but I'm sure I'll figure something out.