cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Karrier ST205/75R14 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D

04FWPioneer
Explorer
Explorer
We own an 04 Fleetwood Pioneer model 18T that we just purchase last summer from a family who had driven it cross country from Washington state. They were the second owners and it appears that the TT was purchased in Washington state by the first family.

She is currently riding on four Goodyear Marathon tires that are starting to show signs of cracking on the side walls. One of them has a slow leak. IOW it's time for new tires.

The specs are as follows:
04 Pioneer 18T - Curb weight dry is 4000. GVWR is 6000 lbs.
Tires - ST205/75R14 Load range C (1760) or payload of 7040 lbs.
Rim - Outside dia: 15 3/8", Bolt 4.5", Center 3.25"

**I can't say for sure but these may be the original tires that came with the TT as there were no records in the receipts for a tire purchase and the previous owners (VERY OCD) didn't mention it. Plus the spare was almost glued to the spare tire cover.**

BEFORE reading numerous post on the forums about tires I knew that I wanted to upgrade, if at all possible, to a load range of "D". I understand that this will give me a higher maximum payload of 8160 lbs. on the tires that my TT chassis is not designed for. The purpose of upgrading was to go from a 6 ply tire to an 8 ply giving more strength where I need it. Just in case I should ever overload the TT. The speed rating is the same so no advantage is gained there.

AFTER reading for hours I am now MORE confused than when I started. So let me outline what I think I have gathered to be applicable.

1. There isn't much room between each set of tires on each side or between the top of the tires and the TT SO I don't think going up a size is possible. I will stay with the current size.

2. From what I can gather biggest difference between LT and ST is the side ply, load rating and speed ratings.
There are few 14" LT tires out there and all that I have found have lower load ratings than I have now. Although they have higher speed ratings. But I have no desire to go faster that 65 while towing 6K anyway.

3. There aren't to many 14" tires with a load rating of "D" either. But there are some and the Karrier above is one that I have found but have read nothing about thus far.
4. After reading I think I want to stay as close to factory as I can with the exception of the extra load rating which I see as a win - win for just a few bucks more.

SO has anyone heard anything about the Karrier line of ST tires?

Thank you in advance.

L
19 REPLIES 19

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the Marathons were OEM they could be made in the USA back then. They were moved to Canada for a couple of years before being shipped to china.
A 4000 lb dry weight = 1000 lbs per tire requirement.
A 6000 GVWR = 1500 lbs per tire requirement.
Actual weight on the tires is 6000 lbs less 600-800 lbs for the hitch carried by the tow vehicle. Higher rated tires won't help with a overloaded trailer.

The Kumho 857 have a good reputation across the trailer world including RVs.

The Maxxis U-168 commercial grade LT tire in several 14" sizes are also popular where they are easily available.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Skip ! ....you almost disappointed me....it took 59 minutes for you to show up ! :B

....the data connection to Topeka must be slow today ! I hope you're healing well. Have a great holiday season.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
There are dozens of different names (none of them SOUNDING Chinese) that are made in China. I'd recommend avoiding ALL of them unless you plan on only local short trips. If you plan on doing any cross country I'd go with Maxis tires and a load range D is over Kill. I've got over 80,000 trouble free towing miles on my 8,000 lg. trailer using load range C Maxis tires.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I'll jump in early here with another strong vote for Kumho 857 load range D. Very happy with the set I am running. Tire rack has them and you can compare the specs of the various sizes there.

I would say it's just a matter of minutes now before the "M" crowd comes barging in here .... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

jrichard
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't heard of Karrier, but I've been happy with Kuhmo 857 14" range D...

And I'd definitely move up to D for a few dollars more. But, to get a meaningful advantage out of D, you have to increase your tire pressure to 65lbs (from 50 for range C). So, you might need new rims.