cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping cool while boondocking

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
We leave for a 2 week trip on Friday. Our first night we are boondocking in a Cabela's parking lot. The problem is that it's going to be warm...and there are 13 of us in a TT. I keep thinking that there has to be a reasonable way to run a couple of fans for one night...anybody have an great ideas? We do not have a generator and I don't want to buy/take one for this one night.
134 REPLIES 134

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I commend you for taking the entire family camping. We only had 4 daughters and we loved the time together. Here in Wisconsin, the state parks have the policy of 6 unrelated people or one directly related family without limit to the number of people.
"A site may be occupied by a parent or parents with their dependent children and not more than two guests or a group of not more than six persons, regardless of age."
I am surprised that the national parks discriminate against large families. I looked at several park web pages and there is a 6 person limit. I suggest talking to the park management about getting around that rule.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I commend you for taking the entire family camping. We only had 4 daughters and we loved the time together. Here in Wisconsin, the state parks have the policy of 6 unrelated people or one directly related family without limit to the number of people.
"A site may be occupied by a parent or parents with their dependent children and not more than two guests or a group of not more than six persons, regardless of age."
I am surprised that the national parks discriminate against large families. I looked at several park web pages and there is a 6 person limit. I suggest talking to the park management about getting around that rule.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
2oldman wrote:
13 people would require 2, maybe 3 spaces.
Yes, it seems most Fed and state campgrounds are 6 per site. That could make it hard to find a campground if you wanted adjacent sites. I expect OP knows all this....

Most campgrounds are understanding of the fact that we are one nuclear family sharing one camper. Occasionally we are charged extra for extra people but for the most part, especially in state and fed parks, there are no extra fees. It's funny that this is of such interest or concern to people. I see campsites with too many tents and what is obviously more than one family all of the time. It doesn't concern me.

Explorer
Explorer
Males on one side, females on the other will help.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
..s most Fed and state campgrounds are 6 per site. ..
I just don't know how you feed and sleep 13! Outside I guess.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Yes, it seems most Fed and state campgrounds are 6 per site. That could make it hard to find a campground if you wanted adjacent sites. I expect OP knows all this....

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Kids might be slightly less but the average human generates about 75w of heat just sitting around...you are going to try and sleep on an already hot night with the equivalent of a 1000w heater running all night.

Just buck up and pay the $30 for an RV site.

My thoughts too and I can't envision 11 unhappy hot little ones in a confined trailer just to save a few $$$. I think a reordering of priorities might be called for.

Larry

Gosh, thanks for judging my priorities but I actually never said why we were boondocking. It's an assumption that we are doing it to save $.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Kids might be slightly less but the average human generates about 75w of heat just sitting around...you are going to try and sleep on an already hot night with the equivalent of a 1000w heater running all night.

Just buck up and pay the $30 for an RV site.

My thoughts too and I can't envision 11 unhappy hot little ones in a confined trailer just to save a few $$$. I think a reordering of priorities might be called for.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I know the local tool rental place near my house rents Yamaha inverter generators. Maybe you could find a rental shop near where you'll be and arrange to pick it up before they close and drop it off when they open?

Just a thought and good luck!
I love me some land yachting

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
These table fans just circulate the hot air. You need a quality vent fan to move some hot air out of the trailer and pull in the cool evening/night air.

I swapped in a Fantastic brand and it is wonderful. Any of these should work well for you: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Powered-RV-Vent-Fans

Took me less than two hours for self install into the bathroom vent where the original fan was just a miserable noise maker.

Thanks for the feedback! Our bathroom fan is broken anyhow so this would be a good idea!

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
How would you like to camp next to 13 people

Is that some kind of a joke? You can't be serious...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
jarata1 wrote:
How would you like to camp next to 13 people

What does this have anything to do with cooling down a trailer. The OP has a life he is happy with - it's none of our business and certainly not for us to knock him for.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
Weโ€™ve had good luck with the 5โ€ battery powered O2Cool fans. They are quiet and will run several nights on 2 D cells on the low setting. Get one for each person so there is no fighting over where itโ€™s pointed. https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Portable-Desktop-Circulation-Battery/dp/B001B16VT6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535506811&sr=8-4&keywords=o2cool%2Bfan&th=1

Norm

We just finished a July/ August trip in the Midwest. We had AC available and ran it in the daytime. The AC was too noisy to run at night and preferred to open windows and use the little fans. We used to use very quiet 12v computer muffin fans but the O2Cools were just as quiet, energy efficient and stable enough to sit on the bed next to your pillow.

Works for us!

Norm
F1BNorm

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think OP is just going to find power.