Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Springdale - Very Low Drain Pipes

jetski559
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We just got a 2022 242RK Keystone Springdale travel trailer.
This has the Arctic Package.

I noticed the black and grey tank drain pipe outlet is VERY low to the ground. I haven't taken a tape measure, but it seems like it is like 6 inches or 8 inches... Way lower than our last trailer. It worries me to the point that a rock or something at the campsite is going to crack it if we run it over.

Maybe this is normal for the arctic package because the whole bottom is covered in insulating sheets so they had to stick the drain pipes out further?

See picture attached/below.
18 REPLIES 18

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a tote that is also higher than the outlet. It was fine on our former 5er. Now we carry the tote and a macerator pump. If the site is elevated we can use the tote by itself sometimes.
South Carolina was the first place we went with the higher dump pipes. We went to Lowes and got a 12 foot piece of plastic gutter and used it as a bridge. The camp hosts said it was the biggest complaint from campers.
I'm not sure that a 4 foot storm surge is going to be contained by a 6 inch rise but remember "We're from the government and we're here to help you."
Puma 30RKSS

jetski559
Explorer
Explorer
Planeteer wrote:
It's always a bummer when the park hookup is higher than the sewer hose discharge.

Yeah, minor details. Although 'nothing got snapped off' having to fight this ain't very fun if not impossible. Trailer mfgs probably wanted a nice slope for the pipes to drain from the tank, but they forgot we still need a slope from the outlet pipe into the park hookup!

jetski559
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Maybe cut them both back and install separate connections.

My first TT 30 years ago had this problem. Some sagebrush caught the pipe and it ended up cracking the black tank. There were several issues with that TT causing it to hang low. My first fix was to replace the tank and pipe making as high as possible, which wasn't much of an improvement. I then broke out my welder and made a skidplate for it. Later when the axles needed attention, I replaced the 6" drop axles it had with straight axles.
Of course your TT will probably need a different approach. My comments are to let you know that the low pipe can cause a lot more damage that most think....Fixing that after it cracked the full tank was a real crappy job.:(

This is about exactly what I was worried about / thinking about...

Planeteer
Explorer
Explorer
It's always a bummer when the park hookup is higher than the sewer hose discharge.
2021 Gulf Stream 197BH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

My first TT 30 years ago had this problem. Some sagebrush caught the pipe and it ended up cracking the black tank. There were several issues with that TT causing it to hang low. My first fix was to replace the tank and pipe making as high as possible, which wasn't much of an improvement. I then broke out my welder and made a skidplate for it. Later when the axles needed attention, I replaced the 6" drop axles it had with straight axles.
Of course your TT will probably need a different approach. My comments are to let you know that the low pipe can cause a lot more damage that most think....Fixing that after it cracked the full tank was a real crappy job.:(
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The two problem I had with too low a drain were insufficient slope to sewer pipes that were ~6" above grade which are required by code in some areas due to trying to keep storm water out of the septic system. Second was trying to fill my Barker tote when I was on a site sloped towards my drain, there wasn't enough clearance to get the tote entrance under the level of the drain.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
I would cut the end as close as possible and still be able to get a coupling on it. A 22.5 or something would bring the tip of the pipe up a bit.

x2

X3

jetski559
Explorer
Explorer
All great answers guys! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our drain pipe was very low to the ground on our new Solitude fifth wheel (although it was directly behind the middle hydraulic strut on that side which gave it some protection). I cut the drain, shortened it a bit, and installed a 30 deg. elbow at the cut to increase the ground clearance.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I would cut the end as close as possible and still be able to get a coupling on it. A 22.5 or something would bring the tip of the pipe up a bit.

x2

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
nickthehunter wrote:
I had a Jayco a number of years back. Everyone that saw it commented on how low the black pipe drain was. I had the trailer for 12 years and it never was an issue.
Just my experience with a similar issue, yours' may vary.

Seems fairy typical and like you no issues.

Being in front of the trailer axles, if you go over a 6-8" high rock, you already knew you ran over something big.

Far more common is to drag the rear corners.

Your average RV is not intended for serious off roading. If you want to take it into rough country, expect to do some upgrades.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a Jayco a number of years back. Everyone that saw it commented on how low the black pipe drain was. I had the trailer for 12 years and it never was an issue.
Just my experience with a similar issue, yours' may vary.