Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kit to add auto-fan to air conditioner

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried this kit?
http://airswitchrv.com/products

It would be nice not to always have the fan blowing and might save some on electricity. I wonder how easy it is to install?
16 REPLIES 16

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JPeyton wrote:
Well I got this kit from airswitchrv and installed it. It works great. Nice to have some quiet time for a change without the fan always running. Regarding the last posters comment about the fan coming on and off during the night. Actually, in the evening the unit is completely quiet and then it comes on first thing in the morning as the sun comes up. Pretty slick.

Not sure about the other mod mentioned in this thread for Dometic AC's (I believe), but this one is for Coleman brand.

Thanks for letting us know how it worked !!!

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got this kit from airswitchrv and installed it. It works great. Nice to have some quiet time for a change without the fan always running. Regarding the last posters comment about the fan coming on and off during the night. Actually, in the evening the unit is completely quiet and then it comes on first thing in the morning as the sun comes up. Pretty slick.

Not sure about the other mod mentioned in this thread for Dometic AC's (I believe), but this one is for Coleman brand.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I thought most trailers came with this but maybe not. I run my fan all the time. I turn it on instead of opening windows and when the AC is on I leave the fan on to keep the air flow and to keep the "white noise" more constant. Have the fan and AC kick on during the night would wake me up.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
It will make the furnace much better if you go to the digital thermostat like I did.
No more wide swings between coming on and going off keeping the temperature closer to constant.
Can't say about the heat strip I find mine to be pretty useless and never use it any more.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

JimChow
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth, this is fantastic. I have wanted to do this mod for some time but the other mods I have seen required more work. I plan to order the relay and install this summer. Thank you very much!

Since this mod is a couple of months away from me doing, would you know if;
Will this affect the how the furnace works? I have a heat strip in the AC unit do you think I will still be able to use it?
Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued 6 year old Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
AC mod

This is my solution.
Costs me about $25 ,works great.

Well the kit at airswitchrv is for Coleman units, not Dometics as per your mod. Also, your link is for setups that have a wall tstat. This kit is for setups that don't have a wall thermostat.

Anyways I ordered one to try it. It apparently can be installed without any permanent modifications at all which is good in case I want to take it back out.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't find it to be distracting at all.
I know what you mean about the fan being loud especially if you're trying to cook then you're standing close enough you can't hear what anyone's saying.
The biggest benefits to us is not waking up at 3 AM freezing with the fan blowing on us.
The digital thermostat is really nice as it keeps the temperature nearly constant versus the factory that had such a wide gap between on and off.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mod, and putting it in the breaker box instead of the AC, good thinking! How distracting is it having the AC fan cycle on and off?

I don't have the tools to measure it, but my Coleman Mach 3 (roof mount, direct vent, no ducts) is SO LOUD it drowns out all other sounds while it runs. I think having it cycle on and off would distract me more than just "getting used to" the constant loudness.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
My next AC mod will be going the other way-I'm going to add a DELAY timer for the fan to let the compressor start about 1.5 seconds before the fan so a small Genny will be able to run the AC

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
popeyemth wrote:
Repaired link to mod

AC Mod

Looks great! It would be nice if your relay had a timer built in so that the fan would run for 60 or so seconds after the compressor on the AC shuts down to get the last of the cool from the evaporator .

I think they make that sort of relay too if I'm not mistaken.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Repaired link to mod

AC Mod

Genius! Thanks.

Need to add that to the every-growing "nice to have" mod list.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
JPeyton wrote:
Thanks popeyemth. Looks like you have a Dometic. I've got a Coleman type. This kit seems to be for the Coleman brand.

popeyemth wrote:
AC mod

This is my solution.
Costs me about $25 ,works great.

The mod I used should work for any make of AC

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Repaired link to mod

AC Mod

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth's link doesn't work for me, but I'm interested in something like that for my Dometics.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)