Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaking Air Bags?

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly useful information regarding leaky air bags:

I have Firestone air bags. They wouldn't hold air for more than about 3 days. This went on for quite some months, and was a real nuisance.

About two months ago, I squirted some green Slime (tire sealer) into the tubes feeding the air bags I squirted it just upstream from where the bags are, about three/four feet, where the tubes join into a single fill tube. I had to inflate them about two more times, after which . . . I've gone two months now with no noticeable drop in air pressure. I keep them around 20 psi for day to day use. And there it has stayed. Before treatment, it would drop to zero in, like I said, about three days.

Just for whatever it's worth.
8 REPLIES 8

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the hoses out of a T fitting, and one by one, I attached a fitting for putting air into the system. I had a spare, since I combined them into a single feed. Then I reattached the lines to the T. It could be introduced at the fitting that is presumably mounted in the bumper, but I wanted it inserted closer to the bags. I was able to verify the leak(s) weren't anywhere else along the way, so either the bags or the fittings at the bags.

Since this is intended for inserting directly into a tire, the bottle easily connects at a filler point. You just remove the valve core temporarily.

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
How did you get the slime into the system?
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Leaks on mine: would have to remove the bags completely to check the bags OR the fittings. The brackets completely cover the fittings. Can't even see them. A huge hassle. But the 'slime' was a 15-minute fix. No contest, if you ask me. The leak may well have been at the fittings, I don't know.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Leaks on mine too, turns out the schrader valves were not tight.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
slarsen wrote:
Possibly useful information regarding leaky air bags:

I have Firestone air bags. They wouldn't hold air for more than about 3 days. This went on for quite some months, and was a real nuisance.

About two months ago, I squirted some green Slime (tire sealer) into the tubes feeding the air bags I squirted it just upstream from where the bags are, about three/four feet, where the tubes join into a single fill tube. I had to inflate them about two more times, after which . . . I've gone two months now with no noticeable drop in air pressure. I keep them around 20 psi for day to day use. And there it has stayed. Before treatment, it would drop to zero in, like I said, about three days.

Just for whatever it's worth.

Interesting. I have the Ride Rites and noticed the same issue. Been under the truck countless times with the soap solution checking lines, fittings, and the like. Maybe I should spray the springs themselves? :h

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have air lift brand and just warranted them. I sent in the old ones they inspected to make sure they werent damaged by anything other than just a normal leak and they sent me 2 new bags. These were 10 year old air bags.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
when I tried to get the lifetime warranty they asked for the original receipt! Figures like you will keep such things forever. anyhow went and got a set off craigslist, turned out had a melted line from the exhaust.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems I remember the Firestone airbags have a lifetime free replacement warranty
Traveling with my best friend my wife!