cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaking toilet, and heater scent?

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
this is our first TT, so I'm not sure if this is normal. If I fill the toilet bowl with some water, by pressing the pedal down halfway, it slowly drains into the tank. I'm assuming this is not normal, and there must be a bad/misaligned seal? It has always done this, and we bought the TT new about a year ago. I'm also assuming if water can drain through the seal, then with a little agitation, fumes can also leak upwards.

So, am I right to assume this is not normal and there's a bad seal?

Regarding the heater, this is our first time using it as it got kinda cold overnight. There's an odd scent, almost like melting plastic smell when we run the heater. This sets of the propane/smoke alarm. Seems weird but is there some kind of "break-in" period required for these heaters? Or is this just the smell of dust burning off? Like I said, first time using the heater.

Thanks in advance, love this forum for these kinds of newbie questions.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
6 REPLIES 6

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
All new furnaces should be run for a half hour or so with the windows and doors open to let out the nasty fumes. Yes, you have a bad or uncentered seal. I replaced mine last year and it wasn't too bad of a job. If it is still under warranty have the dealer do it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
A box of disposable gloves is good tool to have in an RV.

i have 2 boxes :C

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
A box of disposable gloves is good tool to have in an RV.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
When you press down slightly on the toilet pedal the slide or ball seal will open slightly which will alow liquid to leak out of the bowl. This will also happen if something is stuck in the groove of the slide or built up on the ball or rubber seal. Usually cleaning will solve the problem.

If you are pressing down on the pedal to get more water in the bowl, try lifting on the pedal. This is the usual way to open the water valve without opening the toilet bowl drain seal.
Barney

instruction on the underside of the toilet lid say to press down about halfway to fill with water. After filling and releasing the pedal, the water slowly drains through. So it must be the seal or something stuck. It has always done this, and I bought it new so something probably wasn't seated correctly from the factory. I'll have to take a look at cleaning or re-seating the seal.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you press down slightly on the toilet pedal the slide or ball seal will open slightly which will alow liquid to leak out of the bowl. This will also happen if something is stuck in the groove of the slide or built up on the ball or rubber seal. Usually cleaning will solve the problem.

If you are pressing down on the pedal to get more water in the bowl, try lifting on the pedal. This is the usual way to open the water valve without opening the toilet bowl drain seal.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Toilet: not normal. The "ball" seal is leaking. Clean the seal, clean the track it sets in when closed, even put some mineral oil on the seal.

Heater: normal. First couple of uses it will burn off the machine oil that coats some of the parts and the sheet metal.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro