cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Awning Light

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, decided to put up an LED light strip below my awning. For $35....cant beat it!

Here's a YouTube video I made going over it. Goes over most the specifics in the video. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

LED RV awning light
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.
16 REPLIES 16

mthockeydad
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.dx.com/p/waterproof-72w-3600lm-300-smd-5050-led-rgb-car-decoration-light-strip-w-rf-controller-227310#.U4yHImco9hF

Thanks to recommendations in another thread to use the kit with the RF remote so the IR controller doesn't have to be mounted outside in the weather.

I drilled a hole in my siding under the awning and pushed the power cable into the cabinet above my bathroom sink, and wired it through the ceiling to the bathroom light. Used a dab of silicone to seal the wires through the hole.

hbhconstruction
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed this strip today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310873626349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 I am very pleased with the results. I tied into the 12 volt power that supplies the yellow outside light but if you want to power by 120 you will also need a power supply. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310648330534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I got all my info on these lights from a buddy that uses them on his house to do a Christmas display that is synced to music. I mounted mine about 3" below my awning tube when in closed position so i could use my lights with the awning in the in or out position. Let me know if you have anymore questions about my install.

Thanks Matt
2007 Keystone Laredo 284BHS
1996 Hurricane Fundeck 221 (lots of family fun)
2001 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (tow vehicle)
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (wifes rig won't let me tow with it to save her life)
4 Year Old Boy
2 Year Old Boy
1 Year Old Corgie

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one I found that looks similar

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-Flexible-300leds-Changing/dp/B00ASHQQKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395972507&sr=8-3&keywords=Led+strip
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Fiverwheel wrote:
Speedogomer,
Do you have a brand name for the system you bought? It would be helpful to know. Nice job by the way!

The package literally just said "LED Light Strip"

There was no brand name at all. On the back of the package it had "facts about our facility" and listed things like "20000sq ft sorting facility" and "2 automated packing machines".... Had nothing at all indicating a brand.
1982 DW, "Rachel"

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Speedogomer,
Do you have a brand name for the system you bought? It would be helpful to know. Nice job by the way!
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
I like the strip idea because they are LED, but I would rather have party lights just because I think they look better. I just with you could get some nice 12V LED party lights:)
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine from a local retailer, Unicorn Electronics in Johnson City NY. They even have extra remotes, or control boxes you can buy if something stops working. Worst case scenario, they last 1 year, and I spend $35 next year. Only takes 2 minutes to put up if you're not wiring it into the RV.

I may yet drill through my wall and hard wire it... But I haven't even camped in the TT yet, and I can't bring myself to drill through the walls yet! For now I'll just plug it in when I get to the campsite. It's really the same idea as stringing up party lights, only the lights stay up permanently, you just plug them in and they're ready.
1982 DW, "Rachel"

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the same strip on Amazon but it only lasted one season. The remote quit with the first few months and I found another on eBay direct from China for $3 then the LEDs would not display a certain color. If you cut it to length, make sure you seal the end with silicon. I think moisture destroyed mine.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Put one on mine this winter while it was in the shed. I drilled a hole in camper in front of the awning which goes into the bedroom cabinet and then to the light above the bed everything hidden control box in cabinet has 12 v power at all times just hit remote and lights are on took about 2 hours to do works great bought mine at dealer payed alot more than 35 dollars though.

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. I did the same last summer, but ran the power wire thru a small hole I drilled at the bottom of my outside speaker adapter. Then thru the pantry to a switch on the wall.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing with an Amazon set for less then $35, but put mine on the roller part. Easy to install, although per the suggestions of others on here, I did buy a roll of 3m double sided tape and used it instead of/in addition to the tape that came with it. Hardest part of these lights is remembering where I put the remote and the adapter plug from trip to trip. Good Job!

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
Information on the source?

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Good job!!!
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice that's the set I'm going to order whenever spring stops feeling like winter.