cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED clearance lights failing

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that after two years of use most of the LEDs in my rear corner clearance lights have failed. I believe they are a Bargman series #58 with 4 LEDs per unit. Of the four lights I'm down to 3 working LEDs - that's 3 of 16. Anyone else seeing this?

I popped the lens off on two of them and there was a small amount of moisture but it didn't look to be anywhere near the electronics.

Obviously it will be easier if I replace with the same fixture rather or even easier if I swap in new circuit boards. If I knew what LEDs they were using I could change those but I don't know what they are. On the other hand if these fixtures are generally known to be **** I may as well get better ones now.

Bob
18 REPLIES 18

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the 3M double stick tape works real good. I've had a rain shield taped on for years. It helps a lot to use a heat gun on the mating surface and warm it up a bit before sticking on when applying in cooler weather.

Both my Cummins engines spike up the charge voltage as high as 14.7 volts, causing slow burned out LEDS. I'm staying with regular bulbs available anywhere for good price.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marker lights on campers are a water leak waiting to happen. I've had about enough of trying to seal them reliably, I'm gonna remove them and fiberglass the holes shut, then mount clearance lights on a long piece of aluminum bar stock and attach that with adhesive. I'll have to run two small power wires but all those other holes will be gone!
If I ever order a new camper it will be special ordered without the marker light holes.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
I won't be going to LEDs and there are some possible health hazards with the type of light it is.

I've never heard of this before.
People don't generally stand at the side of my RV and stare at my marker lights for hours on end, so if any health hazard does exit, it won't effect anyone.

Talking about the inside lights Boss. Yer not smoking that funny smelling tobacco are you Boss? Not throwing log on fire, just kidding.

Google 'health hazards with LED lighting, you will find it.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
I won't be going to LEDs and there are some possible health hazards with the type of light it is.

I've never heard of this before.
People don't generally stand at the side of my RV and stare at my marker lights for hours on end, so if any health hazard does exit, it won't effect anyone.
Bob

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
CAJW wrote:
I'm in the same boat. 2 rear LED clearance lights have died on me with wiring apparently not being the cause. The circuit boards just gave up and getting exact replacements has been a pain.

Im tired of dealing with partially burnt LEDS on the truck. To sensitive to voltage spikes. I'm still on the original 2003 incandesant bulbs inside and out on the camper. Only changed 4 bulbs in 13 yrs. 2 marker and 2 tail lites is all. My batteries can take a good draw down beating anyways and run the furnace all night too.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
If it comes down the replacing the marker lights, a totally sealed design is my recommendation, not a style that has a removable lens like other vendors sell.

I've installed these on three RVs and none have ever failed:

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/cm-1a-s68.htm

Those also happen to have a 3" spacing between the mounting holes like most marker lights that are surface mounted.
Bob

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Well I went the easy cheap route and just replaced the individual LEDs that had failed. 42 cents a piece plus I don't have to reseal a new unit in. The circuit boards just unplug from the base and I don't see anything wrong with the circuit or with their workmanship. Will have to see how long the new ones last.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
HarmsWay wrote:
I'll probably try some of those sealed lights. They are at least the same size and mounting holes. Better for keeping water out of the light but a bit worse than the Bargman for keeping water out of the camper because of the exposed screws.

I am running the same lights on my AF 811 truck camper. I installed them on my Desert Fox as well.

Regarding the screw, I put a dollop of butyl putty in the screw hole of the light and a dot of it on top of the screw hole on the wall.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I'll probably try some of those sealed lights. They are at least the same size and mounting holes. Better for keeping water out of the light but a bit worse than the Bargman for keeping water out of the camper because of the exposed screws.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If it comes down the replacing the marker lights, a totally sealed design is my recommendation, not a style that has a removable lens like other vendors sell.

I've installed these on three RVs and none have ever failed:

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/cm-1a-s68.htm
Bob

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Give m4products.com/ a call or check out the website they are very helpful when it comes to LEDS for RV's of all kinds and automotive applications, I have purchased all my interior and exterior bulbs and tube fixtures from this company, great people. may cost a little more but the support is great.
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
HarmsWay wrote:
I don't think mine are wired in series because in some cases there are 1 or 2 of the 4 working.

The appeal of LED lighting for a vehicle was not saving power (although all those bulbs do add up) but rather longer life. They have a big advantage in terms of resistance to vibration compared to incandescent. Also because they aren't user serviceable or generate much heat it should be easier to seal them from water.

It's too bad lousy "off-shore" manufacturing trumps all that. :M

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think mine are wired in series because in some cases there are 1 or 2 of the 4 working.

The appeal of LED lighting for a vehicle was not saving power (although all those bulbs do add up) but rather longer life. They have a big advantage in terms of resistance to vibration compared to incandescent. Also because they aren't user serviceable or generate much heat it should be easier to seal them from water.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a bit disillusioned with LEDs as vehicle lights. I've been using them on trucks for well over ten years and they seem to have a failure rate similar to incandescent bulbs.
Power draw isn't really an issue for running lights, you've got all the electricity available you need.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.