cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightest Bumper Pull with Slide & Bunks?

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

I have been looking at campers for 6 months! Ive looked so much that it seems one camper is running together with another camper in my mind!!!!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there might know the LIGHTEST bumper pull camper with a minimum of 1 slide and bunks!?!?!

That is really really really what I am looking for! I have an 04' Chevy Avalanche Z71, but want something that will be easy to pull and have plenty of weight to spare.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you!
36 REPLIES 36

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was the cheapest, lightest, newest one I found up here in the PACNORWEST. You should have some in your area.
No slide.
Clicky
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Andy F wrote:

I was going to suggest a Keystone Bullet--we've loved ours. I've seen a few used ones out there on the market but they were new in 2008-2009 so I doubt you'll find one as low as $10,000.

krobbe, I'd be interested to know how well your used 2009 Bullet has held up--any issues or does it appear to have "aged" well?

Andy, I've cleaned places the previous owner probably never knew about and have tested all the equipment. I haven't come across anything more than a couple burned out bulbs which I've replace almost all with LED. The frame around the wheel wells had some rust but I eliminated that. The roof still looks great and the windows are leak free. The interior upholstery looks great. I'm pretty sure I got a great value. The mods I've done to date are: Installed some new takeoff rims and tires the dealer had sitting on the floor. Enlarged the under bed lift board and new piano hinge to support a new standard queen memory foam 8" mattress. LED panels for all the ceiling fixtures. Replaced the Estone stereo with a Jensen I got on clearance at CW for 69bucks. Replaced all the speakers with PolkAudio 2-ways. Mounted 19"TV in the back bunkhouse. And added a power tongue jack. My next project is to add outlets after my son's pinewood derby.(The axles make the race) Sorry, got carried away...
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been happy with my Passport. 10K is going to be pushing it.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
Coachman Apex line has models with twin and full size bunks. Weight is around 4700 dry with double full size bunks. Easily half ton towable.

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
BudBundy wrote:
The thing I noticed about the Lance, is that it looks like that model is relatively new...

I forgot to mention that Im looking for the above AND at 10k or less! lol...

Need to put ONE more stipulation on that...But I REALLY REALLY liked that Lance camper!

Ouch. 10k could be tough to find what you seek. I recently found the 2009 in my sig for 13k on craigslist from a dealer 3hrs away. I haven't found any within 5k of that on rvtrader. Maybe look for a 2010Bullet230BHS at 4370#dry or the sister passport. Your 1/2 ton should tow these without issues. You'll find specs on prev years on the KeystoneRV website. clicky
I pounded craigslist for quite a while before I found the ONE. I can spend alot on improvements and any minor repairs before getting close to the price of new. Just make sure there is no water leakage or damage when looking used. Rotten wood and mold/mildew in the walls and ceilings is a deal breaker! Happy searching 🙂

I was going to suggest a Keystone Bullet--we've loved ours. I've seen a few used ones out there on the market but they were new in 2008-2009 so I doubt you'll find one as low as $10,000.

krobbe, I'd be interested to know how well your used 2009 Bullet has held up--any issues or does it appear to have "aged" well?
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

JimmyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Passport 2300BH. 1 slide, two bunks, walk around queen bed, electric awnings, loaded as far as I am concerned. Here's a floorplan:

2016 Coachmen Prism 24G

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer was under $10k, but no slide, 2 bunks and convert the dinette to the main bed. Lower price comes with compromises. 😞

I LOVE The Lances too, but for 3 times the price...I'll put up with the compromises.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
well Ascend has two 23 footers under 4,000 lbs. one with slide, no bunks, one with bunks, no slide.
bumpy

rebelopie
Explorer
Explorer
The Heartland Edge had a model M22 with a slide and bunks. The GVWR is 4,900 according to the brochure I have. We were considering the M23 (triple bunk, no slide) when we stumbled on the much cheaper Skyline on our dealer's lot. New, the Edge model we were looking at was $20k out the door (nearly three years ago). The Edge line is no longer made, so perhaps prices on used models have come down considerably.

Happy hunting!

-TJ
Past:
2001 Alfa Gold GF34RLIKBS
2006 T@B T-16L Towed with 1996 Lincoln Town Car then 2005 Dodge Dakota

Current:
2011 Skyline Nomad 248 towed with 2009 Jeep Commander

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for your input!

The camper doesnt have to be new...Im willing to go back to 2006 if necessary....

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Lance has been making truck bed slide in campers for many years, but the travel trailer business is just a couple/few years old. They are of high quality, thus the prices new and used. New RV MSRP to transaction prices have a pretty wide spread. Most travel trailers can be had for 30-35% off MSRP. That puts the Lance 2185 in the $20-$22k range. Advertised/list prices for any RV varies greatly across the web.

Skipping the slide will decrease price within any RV brand you choose. Finding a suitable floorplan and RV you like may be a compromise, especially new. There are not many RVs that sell for $10k new, especially out the door with sales tax, title, license, weight distributing hitch. And it is easy to spend $1k+ on RVing/camping accessories.

KZ Sportsmen Classic has a few models that are close to your requirements. 19BHS, 240, 250S. All of these should be in the $10-14k range new. Likewise the Rpod and Rockwood 2504. Keystone Hideout 210LHS is also in the same range.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
BudBundy wrote:
The thing I noticed about the Lance, is that it looks like that model is relatively new...

Need to put ONE more stipulation on that...But I REALLY REALLY liked that Lance camper!

Ouch. 10k could be tough to find what you seek. I recently found the 2009 in my sig for 13k on craigslist from a dealer 3hrs away. I haven't found any within 5k of that on rvtrader. Maybe look for a 2010Bullet230BHS at 4370#dry or the sister passport. Your 1/2 ton should tow these without issues. You'll find specs on prev years on the KeystoneRV website. clicky
I pounded craigslist for quite a while before I found the ONE. I can spend alot on improvements and any minor repairs before getting close to the price of new. Just make sure there is no water leakage or damage when looking used. Rotten wood and mold/mildew in the walls and ceilings is a deal breaker! Happy searching 🙂
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer
Good gravy!!!! Those Lance campers (which I DO really really like) are between 25k-35k used!!!!

Did I note that this is my FIRST camper! lol...

I was hoping to get my feet wet, but I really dont want a hybrid...I just dont like the fabric type stuff.

BudBundy
Explorer
Explorer
how much would I need to pay for something like the campers mentioned above? Any idea?!?!?

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
BudBundy wrote:

You might have some difficulty finding a used ultralite for that price. Not saying they are not out there though. Have you considered a hybrid? I've seen some spacious bunkhouse hybrids with slides at around the 10k mark.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC