cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightweight Bunk House Options

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
We want to get a trailer that when loaded (keeping in mind we pack light and may not dry camp) is 6500 or less and prefer bunk houses... any suggestions? We have a two year old who sleeps in a pack n play when we are traveling so we probably need it to be wide enough to have that in there.

I've looked at quite a few variations online but want to see if anyone has any reviews or recommendations or even ideas that we hadn't thought of. 🙂

Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
DSMC Whiz wrote:
The Lance 2185 has a full length queen and three bunks in the back. A fully loaded one has a 4,400 pound dry weight and a 6,000 max weight. I know, I just bought one. It is very bright, well-engineered and comfortable as could be.

I actually saw this one on Saturday but was shocked at how much more expensive it was than all of the other brands... by $10,000! Is that common or was it just a fluke?

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Coachmen Apex line is very lite.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/products/apex.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4359
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2011 Passport 290BH (quad bunk) is 5200 lbs dry and can carry 2300 lbs of cargo (we pack heavy so this was nice). Like the majority of TTs, it has a "RV queen" which is 6 inches shorter than a real 60x80 queen mattress. The Surveyor line carries real queen beds, something your husband would appreciate and will be in my next RV - 6'3" here. They are very light weight as well. Several new models now have arched ceilings that reach 6'9". My Passport is 6'6".
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

DSMC_Whiz
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance 2185 has a full length queen and three bunks in the back. A fully loaded one has a 4,400 pound dry weight and a 6,000 max weight. I know, I just bought one. It is very bright, well-engineered and comfortable as could be.

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Camplite 21BHS

Oooh I like that and hadn't heard of that brand. There's a dealer about 1/2 hour from us so we will definitely be checking that out. Thanks!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My Heartland North Trail 28BRs has been good for our family. We travel at 6500-7000 pounds loaded. We purchased when my youngest was 1 year old and slept in a pack and play on the jackknife sofa that many TTs have.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco 264bh

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Camplite 21BHS

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
My Jay Flight has one of the highest ceilings in the industry but it's still only 6'9". Your husband may be a little claustrophobic in most trailers. The high wall pop ups have the highest ceiling heights as my cousin was looking as well being 6' 10".

Good luck

You would think so but he's not. He's used to being too tall and he's camped in many trailers his whole life in which he had a trailer that was shorter than he was. He adjusts. 🙂

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
The Aerolite's come with king beds...
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 294 Bullet is listed at 5860 . we weighed in at 5400 trailer axle

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
My Jay Flight has one of the highest ceilings in the industry but it's still only 6'9". Your husband may be a little claustrophobic in most trailers. The high wall pop ups have the highest ceiling heights as my cousin was looking as well being 6' 10".

Good luck
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shorteelaw wrote:
Wow everyone. What a great response. I really appreciate it.

Someone inquired about what our other preferences were... needs to sleep 5 as my mother will be joining us frequently. Price doesn't really matter - most you can get for under what we are willing to pay. We can't sleep on a small bed like some of the really small ones are as my hubby is 6'9'' so he needs the full length of the bed and ideally a little extra for his feet to hang off (poor guy! haha) but we have a foot board on our bed at home so he's used to the end of the bed being "restricted."

Thanks again everyone. This gives me hope that we will find the perfect TT for us! 🙂

Looking at floor plans will help you to see which models meet your needs.

RV queen size beds are six inches shorter than a standard queen size.

You'll want to stay away from RV queens and beds with a wall at both ends.

Fresh tank capacity may be important because, small children tend to use more water. ie: frequent bath times.

Bunk location and accessability may be important for older or younger occupants. There are safety rails specifically made for RV bunks.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
Wow everyone. What a great response. I really appreciate it.

Someone inquired about what our other preferences were... needs to sleep 5 as my mother will be joining us frequently. Price doesn't really matter - most you can get for under what we are willing to pay. We can't sleep on a small bed like some of the really small ones are as my hubby is 6'9'' so he needs the full length of the bed and ideally a little extra for his feet to hang off (poor guy! haha) but we have a foot board on our bed at home so he's used to the end of the bed being "restricted."

Thanks again everyone. This gives me hope that we will find the perfect TT for us! 🙂

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Shorteelaw wrote:
We want to get a trailer that when loaded (keeping in mind we pack light and may not dry camp) is 6500 or less and prefer bunk houses... any suggestions? We have a two year old who sleeps in a pack n play when we are traveling so we probably need it to be wide enough to have that in there.

I've looked at quite a few variations online but want to see if anyone has any reviews or recommendations or even ideas that we hadn't thought of. 🙂

Thanks!

Our bunkhouse is a 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. From the factory it weighs 5050 lbs unloaded and we load full water and such, which puts it about 6500 lbs.

We LOVE ours. Like having the double on bottom, and the single on top. Makes it easier to get into the top bunk plus we get a dresser this way.

Also love having the sofa behind the dinette opposed across from it. Gives more leg room and less cramped. Plus the sofa is right across from TV for easy viewing.

Love the large bathtub/shower with an arced curtain to give even more room. The added skylight over the tub is just awesome.

Love the ducted A/C and heat and thermostat controlled A/C. Also love having a large refrigerator with large freezer, along with have an oven. Wife uses the oven all the time.

Really like the fabric and furniture stain/laminate color. Makes it look a bit higher end.

Here's some pics of the camper and a video of the inside I made.

Here's a couple pics of the entire rig below:

2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.