cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium ion batteries

rberg
Explorer
Explorer

I'm thinking of switching to Lithium-ion batteries on my trailer. I was warned that they could damage your vehicle's alternator because they suck a lot of power from it, more than lead acid batteries would. Fact or fiction?

2 REPLIES 2

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

to expans on Time2rollagain's post.  most of the "myth" that a LifePO4 will destroy your altanator came from a video of a guy runing a altanator on a test bench and it was destroyed by a LifePo4 battery.  but it was set up for  that to happen, small output altanator larger capacity battery, large wiring and no fuses so the battery would be able to take all the power the altanator could give it.  so it was a rigged test.  in yor truck if your using the factory harness you will be luckey to ever see the full rates amps the power supply is fused for.  the battery can only take what the system can give it, it can't draw anymore than the system design.  plus LiFePo4 batteries don't accept a magical amount of current only a little more than a regular battery, due to txhe lower internal resistance though more is used to charge the battery rather than being turned into heat energy. the biggest difference is the shorter adsobtion period, they stay at bulk for almost the whole charge.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2rollagain
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mostly fiction for a trailer.  First the longish wire will self regulate the current.  Second the charge circuit in the vehicle has a fuse that would protect the electrical system.

With any luck you will see 10 to 15 amps into the new battery compared to 5 to 10 amps into the lead-acid.

Motorhome could present some issues but not a trailer.  And yes my old F150 has been charging the lithium battery in my trailer just fine for several thousand miles over the last three years.  No issues.