Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Longevity of the detuned 6.7 Powerstroke

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford is claiming much confidence in their udgraded 6.7

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/all-new-power-stroke-v8-for-ford-f650-and-f750-gets-detailed/
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
33 REPLIES 33

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
What I can't believe is the fact that Bosch has not had a "Class Action" brought against them yet! This is not a Ford or Gm or FCA problem it is ANY vehicle that is running this pump! The common denominator is the a defective or design flaw from Bosch and they should be on the hook for each and every one of these time bombs.

Don

Here is some good information LINK TO ENGINEERING ANALYSIS CLOSING REPORT VW
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
drittal wrote:
The fact of the matter is when a CP4 goes, it takes the entire fuel system with it. Whether it's premature failure, normal wear and tear, or contaminated fuel.

NO SINGLE PUMP SHOULD HAVE THE CAPACITY OF CAUSING $10,000 OF DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE. it's unacceptable, no matter what logo is on the tailgate. From what I have read, at least GM is standing behind their diesel. If Ford has a failure and they find a spec of rust anywhere in the fuel system they deny warranty. Time will tell how the other manufacturers respond.

x2. Well said.

And as much as some of the failures are certainly related to contaminated fuel or lack of maintenance MANY of them aren't. And even if one does get a tank of poor quality fuel I agree that it should not cause $10k plus in engine damage. Bottom line is that it is a "fragile" pump as described by Bosch that causes catastrophic damage when it fails.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

As a consumer I would have to ask how common contaminated fuel is and am I likely to know in advance that it is contaminated.

Nit common, but not unheard of. Heet is an example of a product to remove water from gasoline. It happens. You won't know until you have a problem.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
like I said prior, I owned a 2011 which was the one everyone complained about, put over 100k miles and never had any issues but I am religious about changing my filters.

Yes, there are those that have had pump issues and were denied warranty by ford as ford stated they had bad fuel or didn't change the filters/dump the separator.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
shepstone wrote:
1jeep wrote:
I have yet to experience it, what I read a lot about on the ford forums is people tuning their trucks and having issues. running longer periods without dumping their separators and having problems add in going longer periods on filter changes, but why does ford not want to cover it, because they state in the manuals the service intervals.

Like I said I have yet to experience it personally, but I go by the schedules and leave my truck as it was when it left the factory.

I dont see why any manufacturer should warrantee damage from the owner using improper fluids, that includes contaminated fuel.

As a consumer I would have to ask how common contaminated fuel is and am I likely to know in advance that it is contaminated. If this problem is at all common and/or I would have no way of knowing that I was getting bad fuel then I would be very disappointed to get $10,000 repair bill and probably a ruined trip on random occasions. Granted, the manufacturers can't cover every contingency but they have some obligation to prepare for the more common ones.

I have to agree with some of the others here that for whatever reason there seems to be less complaints as more trucks hit the road and miles accumulate on the older trucks so it does seem like maybe it was just a startup bug. The point that some pumps have a much less catestrophic failure mode than others is a strong arguement to change pump designs. I have to confess that the fear of pump failure did affect my decision not to buy a diesel in my new truck. I will probably not consider a diesel until I know that the issue has been resolved or at least the cost of repair has been greatly reduced.

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
The fact of the matter is when a CP4 goes, it takes the entire fuel system with it. Whether it's premature failure, normal wear and tear, or contaminated fuel.

NO SINGLE PUMP SHOULD HAVE THE CAPACITY OF CAUSING $10,000 OF DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE. it's unacceptable, no matter what logo is on the tailgate. From what I have read, at least GM is standing behind their diesel. If Ford has a failure and they find a spec of rust anywhere in the fuel system they deny warranty. Time will tell how the other manufacturers respond.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
1jeep wrote:
You'll only hear the stories about fords 6.7 fuel pump doom and gloom from ram owners, they apparently have the incite on how long the they last. My previous 2011 went over 100k miles with no issues on pure luck...im sure the one on my new ford will implode any minute.

Uh, OK the problem doesn't exist :R

it does exist, but its also nowhere as widespread as you make it out to be. the 99% of the people out there with no issues aren't posting about everything functioning properly - the ones that fail do.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
My Ecodiesel is running the CP/4.2 pump and from what I could find these pumps are not having any issues. The main concern as pointed out earlier is the CP/3 pump does not take out the entire fuel system when it goes sideways. The same can not be said of the CP/4 and CP/4.2 pumps.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can understand why you feel a manufacturer shouldn't be required to cover damage from contaminated fuel but I on the other hand if they were required to cover the damage they would likely install a filter or other such device that would prevent fluid other than diesel from reaching the pump.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
I have yet to experience it, what I read a lot about on the ford forums is people tuning their trucks and having issues. running longer periods without dumping their separators and having problems add in going longer periods on filter changes, but why does ford not want to cover it, because they state in the manuals the service intervals.

Like I said I have yet to experience it personally, but I go by the schedules and leave my truck as it was when it left the factory.

I dont see why any manufacturer should warrantee damage from the owner using improper fluids, that includes contaminated fuel.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
You'll only hear the stories about fords 6.7 fuel pump doom and gloom from ram owners, they apparently have the incite on how long the they last. My previous 2011 went over 100k miles with no issues on pure luck...im sure the one on my new ford will implode any minute.

Uh, OK the problem doesn't exist :R
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Ford is claiming much confidence in their udgraded 6.7

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/all-new-power-stroke-v8-for-ford-f650-and-f750-gets-detailed/

The small Isuzu 3 Litre engine, gets a B10 rating of 310,000miles for the Isuzu Pickup and a B50 of 500,000 miles for use in their smallest truck.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II