cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at an Older Hybrid for first camper

Adiosdays
Explorer
Explorer
I've got my eye on a 2000 model aerolite F21. Seller says its in good shape and has a price of 3K on it.

Looking to upgrade from a tent in the woods so that the wife and our kiddo on the way can keep enjoying traveling.

Looking at the aerolite because my TV is a 4Runner with a 5k weight limit. Brochure shows a UVW for the TT at 2800.

I need a heads up on what to look for on an older camper and if anyone has personal experience with this model that would be great.

Thanks for all the help.
9 REPLIES 9

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like many others of us early campers grew up tent camping. Early setups were very primitive but as we learned the rules of engagement Our later setups were actually quite nice... Our biggest improvement was when the folding portable beds with slide in air mattresses became available. Sleeping off the floor made all the difference in the world for us. We actually still like to go tent camping...

I always liked the HYBRID idea where the outside tent bed ends fold down from the outside. This opens up all of the available room inside by not having to content with a bed setup to walk around.

These very large doors folding out have got to be a sources of water leaks and sealing problems over the years. Once things slightly warp over time is the problem.

Your dollars of course but I think you should be very careful starting off with known problems unless you are setup to do alot of repairs. ALot of folks like to undertake projects like this.

There will also be more challenges after you get all of the known problem areas resolved. Being as old as it is the electronics have evolved alot over the years and if you are really looking for camping off the power grids you will need to replace alot things to successfully support the camping Off the power grid style of camping.

Took us awhile to retrofit the electronics better in our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper to be able to stay out for a couple of weeks at a time. It certainly paid off for us in the long run...

It all takes alot of planning on what you want to do with your trailer style of camping. Getting something older with known problems I think will sort of put you behind the eight ball getting started in what you really want to be doing when camping.

In my case I would probably end up spending all my time and money fixing up things first any never get to go camping in it. If you are already setup at home to do all of these repairs then this might be the way to go...

Sounds like your find already has some somewhat serious problems as you have noted.

Added note: don't let the Texas heat steer you away from tent bed ends... We are quite comfortable heat/cool control wise in our POPUP tent bed setup. My working days brought us back to the North Texas area many times over the years. Camping under trees and around shrubs works great. We sometimes would throw a 20x30 tarp over the whole thing with tent poles in the front... Enjoyed the Wichita Falls camping areas and even Gober,TX... We especially liked the Wichita Mtns Wildlife refuge area at Medicine Park OKLA.

Hard to beat this camping off the power grid setup at Camp Doris in the Wichita Mtns WIldlfe Refuge... If we need to run some fans to keep the mosquitoes off of us when sitting outside we just run a couple of extension cords from the trailer... Usually watch HDTV every night no matter where we end up...

just thinking outloud
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Adiosdays
Explorer
Explorer
Well I looked at it today ad it was in good shape except the front foldout.

It actually had a hole in the middle of the fiberglass and all the wood/foam support had rotted away.

It was actually bolted shut.

Everything else was solid and ok. I think that whole front bunk and fiberglass would need replaced though.

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely be on the lookout for leaks around the bunk seals. I looked at Roo that had leaked so bad that whole bunk was soft. Its was only a matter of time before the people sleeping on it ended up on the ground unexpectedly.

You should also very carefully check out the roof. A roof that has been taken care of will actually look like its been touched up a bunch of times and that's a good thing. The caulking needs routine patching as it cracks over time. If you see large cracks/gaps you can probably be assured that it wasn't taken care of and water has made its way in. Not good...
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Also, good call on upgrading. We tried tenting after my oldest son was born. It's miserable with a baby. We packed up the tent after a couple rough outings and didn't camp again for a few years until we got our pop up.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
I second checking thoroughly for water damage. The bearings and tires are important, but cheap, relatively.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the only thing different, than what to look for in any RV, are the bunk ends.
on a hybrid that old, these areas are liable to be in bad shape.
the seals, the condition of the canvas tent ends, the hinge area, the bunk doors themselves, all need to be examined closely.

other than that, you'd check all the areas of concern, for any used RV.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
check for soft spots in the ceiling around any roof vents too. Soft spot = water damage. As my friend who sells RVs told me - There are 2 kinds of owners, those who take care of their trailer and those who don't, and it is usually pretty apparent which is which.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
My fisrt concern would be water damage. Leaks hide for years behind walls and under linoleum/vinyl flooring and grow mold. Check the walls and floors below all the windows and where the bed ends fold out. Also when you go to see it ask that it be closed up when you get there (so you can see how much space there is when closed and so you can watch them open it up) but the real reason is if there are leaks you should be able to notice a musty smell when you walk in the door.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

rscraig
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Jayco hybrid for a couple of years and towed it all around Texas and the southwest. Pros are that it is luxurious compared to tent camping. Major con is that with all that canvas, the AC often struggles to keep the interior cool during hot Texas summers. But if you are used to tent camping, this may not be as important to you.

As with any trailer that old, your first concern should be with the condition of the bearings, wheels, and tires. You'll want to have the bearings inspected and repacked as soon as you get it. Also note that tires on RVs usually die of age rather than through tread wear. If the tires are more than five years old, I'd consider replacing them first thing.

Other than that, just use common sense. Does everything work? A 13 year old trailer is probably going to need some repairs.

Good luck.
Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD