cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at New TT or 5th wheel

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, we gained a new member to our household recently and looking to upgrade to a bigger rig. We have a bunkhouse now with just the dinette table only, so 3 adults and 2 children would get tight quick. I'm currently looking at a Highland Ridge TT and 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is 9,000lbs with a hitch weight of 1400lbs. The TT is 7500lbs. My truck is a Ram 2500 5.7, payload of 2250lbs and towing capacity of 11,000lbs. Am I pushing the truck too much for a 5th wheel? Should i stick to the TT's? And why the heck are the Highland Ridge rigs so dang expensive? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Same truck and same trailer, my freedom express is a little newer. Thanks for the input guys

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like we basically have the same truck. 3.73 ratio and crew cab? If the weights you listed are dry weight you will be close to payload when you load the 5th wheel 'stuff' and the truck with the family. With either choice I think you will be within the specifications of your truck but then there is the 'experience' of the tow. My camper runs around 6500 loaded and towing it is a breeze; however, I've met a few hills where I wish I had the 6.4 or the Cummins. My wife wife and I have been looking to trade up and I'm sticking with a TT simply because I like having the bed of the truck for my racks with kayaks, honey wagon, firewood, table, chairs, grill, bikes, inverter, etc.(as pictured below). A 5er consumes the bed. All a matter of personal choice at this point I guess.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What he said^^^^^

That hitch weight of 1400#...that is a DRY weight based on the DRY weight of 5th wheel

Load it up and hitch weight would easily go to 1700/1800#
Your 2500 only has a 2250# payload.....minus 1700 wet pin-----550# left for ALL passengers, stuff in truck. Overloaded

Go with a TT...more for less
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Two things standout. 1st the size of your family and the low payload rating of the truck. You'll be way over the trucks GVWR with the 5er. Not to mention that at 9,000 lbs and probably 10,000 lbs+ you will be really working the 5.7 hard.

IMO the TT is the better fit.