cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at used travel trailer.

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have decided to try to upgrade from our current 1992 Jayco CB220 to something with more room. We are looking at a 2001 Dutchmen Lite 26RL-DSL. I am having a hard time coming up a good price on a camper this old. We couldn't find any evidence of water leaks, and the appliances looked barely used. There was some dents from rocks on front, and a piece of trim on back that is bent a little. The NADA values show it being like $4600 low retail, but all the other prices I am seeing on comparable campers seem higher than NADA.

We got them to come down to $5000 on the price including a weight distributing hitch with friction sway bar. I had offered them $4700. Is 5000 too high for this old a camper?

Another question I am curious about. It shows it as weighing 6200 lbs. My Dodge Ram 1500 is rated to about 8700 pounds towing. Will I have issues with this towing in higher elevations?
26 REPLIES 26

AstroKing
Explorer
Explorer
If he said you hurt his feelings, that's a huge red flag to move away from this one quick. Something doesn't pass the smell test here. There are LOTS of others out there...go look on RV Trader. Hang in there. Don't get swindled.
Towing Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD - 5000 lb. tow capacity
TT: 2017 Gulf Stream Conquest Super Lite 198BH

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
You have to look around and at dealers and be quick..

http://lakewoodrvsales.com/show.php?id=426&category=Travel%20Trailers&make=&model=&cond=&yeara=&year...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I would wait... There are deals out there.. Dont rush hodge podge..

http://www.beilsteincampersales.com/inventory/112/la-grange-missouri-dutchmen-26l-dsl.php?search-cla...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
Well we went and looked a few campers yesterday. The Coachmen somebody listed off craigslist earlier, and the Zeppelin camper. The Zeppelin had delamination, soft spots in the floor, holes with tape over them in the side, screws in ladder pulled out of roof, etc. It was bad. I was excited about the 2009 Coachmen, but the wood under the slide was rotting, and still wet, the floor had been replaced, and could still see spots were it was rotten. There was a chunch of the side by the wheelwell of the fiberglass broke off. It was pretty dissappointing also for the price. The people with the Dutchment accepted out offer of $4700, but is saying I hurt his feeling, and hasn't let me know when they are available for us to get it. So still no luck. This it turning out to be more of a pain than I thought it would be.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
jbeshears wrote:

On the nada I was a bit confused, as a lot of the options would automatically come with the camper. If I check what it has with it though, it raises the value quite a bit.

The NADA is very misleading on this aspect. EVERY TT comes standard with stuff like a stove, AC, furnace, awning, etc. The only options would be something like a bigger AC or furnace, perhaps a power tongue jack, or other things that are a clear upgrade from standard. But for the most part, there are no or very few actual "options".

Do not add extra for these things. Especially on an older unit.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Zeppelin 1. What kind of modification does it need? Called and they don't have the couch anymore. Is it hard to find replacements?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
travelnman wrote:
New trailers have small tanks because of gov weight limits recently pushed on us.

Ummm... what?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a Zeppelin I or II? The Zeppelin I required a modification for the floor support.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbeshears wrote:
That is true. I have not tested all the appliances yet. If they accepted my offer, I would make it contingent on trying out the appliances. When I went and looked at it, both the propane tanks were empty so I was unable to test heat, propane part of fridge, water heater, and stove. I also figure before I hand over the money I would need to hook it up and test brakes, and lights.

I did find another one I am interested in today. A 2004 Keystone Zeppelin M-281. It is 2000 pounds lighter than the dutchmen, and it has the nicer fiberglass sides, and aluminum wheels. It looks like they may have removed the couch and put a mattress in it's place though. Trying to find out if they still have the couch.

Have them add enough propane to test the appliances. Make sure they connect to water and have some water in the fresh tank so you can test for leaks. Have them pre-chill the fridge before you come to see it - at least that way you know it cools on either propane or electric (if it warms up while you're inspecting it, then there is a problem).

The easiest way for a seller to "hide" a problem is to use an excuse not to let you test it: hose is put away for winter, no propane in the tank, no electrical outlet, etc. Don't accept any excuse not to test everything. If they won't let you test it, walk away. Trust me on this - I had to replace a hot water tank and heater because the "hose was put away for the freeze". Convenient when he knew he had a split straight down the hot water tank - which he then hid by adding new insulation around the entire tank.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
That is true. I have not tested all the appliances yet. If they accepted my offer, I would make it contingent on trying out the appliances. When I went and looked at it, both the propane tanks were empty so I was unable to test heat, propane part of fridge, water heater, and stove. I also figure before I hand over the money I would need to hook it up and test brakes, and lights.

I did find another one I am interested in today. A 2004 Keystone Zeppelin M-281. It is 2000 pounds lighter than the dutchmen, and it has the nicer fiberglass sides, and aluminum wheels. It looks like they may have removed the couch and put a mattress in it's place though. Trying to find out if they still have the couch.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jbeshears wrote:
I saw that Coachmen above listed, but the previous salvage title worried me a bit. Otherwise it seems like a pretty nice setup.
I did not check the roof yet. That would be a good idea if they decide to go ahead with the sale, or I accept the 5k offer.
On the nada I was a bit confused, as a lot of the options would automatically come with the camper. If I check what it has with it though, it raises the value quite a bit.
You didn't answer all my questions. No way would I buy used without knowing that at least all the appliances worked - good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
Most on here seem to look at things with quality in mind cause labor rates to fix things are ballistic these days. Then there is the parts problem, it seems like no one stocks RV parts. I could not get two hinges for a toilet seat or even a new seat. They wanted to install a new toilet for about $300 and they go higher, I finally went to Menards and got a match for $18.00 but this shows you the trouble with older RV's even new ones are hard to get parts for. Getting someone to work on a RV during the summer is impossible, they are busy prepping new ones and really don't want to be bothered with fixing older ones. That's my experience. If you buy new or used look for a large fresh water holding tank, if the tank is small your going to be hauling water from the source all day every day. Mine is sixty gallons and seems good for two people for a week even some left over. New trailers have small tanks because of gov weight limits recently pushed on us. Some people go down the road with full tanks and are thus over the weight limit for their tow vehicle and maybe the axels on the RV for those very few the manufactures have new limits put on them. I have seen some really nice RVs sleep six to eight with 35gal fresh water tanks In this case I would take a hand truck cause you will be hauling water every day unless of course you have city water hookup.

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that Coachmen above listed, but the previous salvage title worried me a bit. Otherwise it seems like a pretty nice setup.
I did not check the roof yet. That would be a good idea if they decide to go ahead with the sale, or I accept the 5k offer.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you check the roof? When was the last time it was re caulked? X2 on the tires. Your most likely going to want to replace them. Di the owner hook it up to demonstrate that the AC/heat/water heater all work? Did you light the stove and does the fridge work? Do the wheel bearings need to be repacked and brakes serviced?

Can you do maintenance required to get it road worthy?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS