cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading a 5th Wheel for a Truck Camper

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Our Carriage Cameo has served us well over the last 10 years but I have spent too much time changing new tires on the side of a busy, hot stinking highway over the years. When I am not changing tires, I am worrying about changing tires, when I am not worrying about changing tires I am maintaining them or buying new ones. I am tired of tires.

Plus the size of the 5th limits the places you can stay, the places you can get diesel, the campsites you can access and the terrain you can cross. Being 60 years old, I find washing and waxing becomes a multi-week ordeal or a costly one and I look forward to neither. At this point the age of the 5th makes it a constant maintenance hobby.

When we bought the 5th, I don't remember seeing any truck campers with slides. Now they make them with up to 3 slides and a very open interior. We are currently working a deal on a TC and I am looking forward to camping again.
19 REPLIES 19

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Congrats on the new camper!
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the 1172!! Casually looking at this model. Really want to upgrade to at least a double slide. Enjoy.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking forward to it. It will be like moving to a small house from a 5th wheel. This is the most my wife and I have spoken in months.

Went to the 5th today to unload it, now know why my tires had issues :-).

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Souns like a great setup, 1172 was on our short list. I’m sure you guys will enjoy it and that rig will haul it around great, enjoy!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like a sweet setup. Congrats!
And those wide track F350s are hauling machines. It won't even flinch with the camper on it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
What camper did you buy?

Anyway, yes F350 DRW with the Towing package (has the wider F450 front axle and 4.10 axle ratio).

That said, the load capacity (4500 lbs based on 14k GVWR minus 9500 lbs of truck n stuff) is our limiting factor and we went with the Lance 1172 with 2 slides. It is lighter than the Mammoth and the ALP 1200 (like them both though). Adding the torklift stable load and air bags to level the truck.

Dealer is taking our 10 yr old 5th in on trade (I am really giving it to him) and saving me the hassle of trying to sell it.

Surprisingly, insurance is less on a new 2018 truck camper than a 10 yr old 5th wheel by about $23 a month. Also no yearly registration and storage will be reduced, not to mention the cost of tires 🙂 Did I mention, unlike leaving a Class a or c motorhome or 5th wheel in the driveway, if I leave the camper on the truck in my driveway, the city zoning guys can't get me and I can camp in my driveway.

LewMichele_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
At 71 we went from a 5'er to the AF811 TC. We are now out camping more and traveling more. Everything is so much easier. The benefits out weigh the smaller space.
'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'06 Arctic Fox 811

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
What camper did you buy?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
His profile shows a 2015 F350 DRW
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. If you can handle the small space, the trade offs are huge.

I don't see a truck in your signature. You say you're working a deal on a TC and talk about 3 slides. What TC are you talking about, and what truck do you plan to haul it with? A big heavy TC (especially 3 slides) needs a LOT of truck to haul it.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We did this very same thing last year. Well we didn’t trade our fifth wheel in but sold it privately and moved to a triple slide TC. Very happy with the move after most of one season with the TC. We had a 35 foot 4 slide fifth wheel that was almost 16k and already had a truck that could handle the heavy triple slide TC with a few mods . No more tires ,brakes, hitches, property taxes and no sales tax for us because of the state we purchased the TC in. The fifth wheel was beautiful and we also had 10 great years with it but felt we wanted to downsize heading into retirement and hopefully doing more traveling and less time spent in one place. I will say that the smaller TC’s even some of the models with one slide would not have worked for us coming from such a large fifth wheel. The bigger TC’s are heavy so a big truck is needed for the move and a 5500 would be best if your plan is to tow anything with a Big TC . It has worked out great for us so far and can’t wait for spring to arrive here in the northeast , good luck with your plans , also just a heads up on selling or trading your fifth wheel as of last fall the market for fifth wheels was not very good , I could not even get dealers to take mine on consignment at it was in mint condition, I was told there are too many out there for sale . It took 6 months to sell it . Our truck camper dealer does not take trailers in trade so we had to sell it privately which was an adventure in itself, but I don’t think your
going to get what you exspect for your current trailer on trade.
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If a truck camper fits your needs, go for it. At some point we would like to drive the Pan-America Highway and will likely switch to a truck camper to do it.

Tires? That's not really a valid reason in my mind. If you were blowing tires regularly, something was wrong that slapping a replacement tire on the trailer wasn't solving.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tires or not, if you travel more than park, you'll think the TC is a godsend. if you get a big one with real couch or recliner and a decent size bath, it's pretty luxurious.
And you'll be able to take it way more places than a big 5ver.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly what we did, 32' fiver to a 10.0 TC. Oh yeah, there will be adjustments. IMHO there are trade offs and to us it was worth it. I don't believe there is one perfect rv. We are going on 5 years with our TC and it serves it's purpose very well. Good luck!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.