cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a ightweight, modest travel trailer

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get my first trailer. I have two kids, and none of us want to share a bed so it needs to have three separate sleeping places. I am super lazy, so would prefer those sleeping places be permanent-beds, because I know that once turned into a bed at a campground, that is how it will stay until we get home. I've got a 5000lb tow capacity (2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD), so don't want to go much over 3500lb GVWR. I realize that most people want a larger trailer after a while, but given that my kids will grow up and likely stop camping with me, I'm more likely to downsize in the future.

It seems like there are a few models with very similar floor plans, bunk beds and a queen... Jayco (174bh... previously 184bh?), Coachmen Clipper 17bh, Coachmen Apex Nano 185bh, a couple of others, too (I found one with a slideout, but still sub-3500lbs gross, but now I can't find it) then maybe a Forest River RP-172 and I don't know what else to consider.

I'm such a newbie I can barely differentiate any of these. I want to keep it around the $15k range, and I know I'll need to get things that don't come with them, like sway bars, weight distribution hitch, bits and whatnot that I didn't know I needed, other things I'll think I need that are totally useless, etc etc.

I'm open to all sorts of advice (though telling me I need a bigger and better tow vehicle has to fall on deaf ears, because reality; telling me I have to get a pop-up will make me cry). My current obsession is about how to choose among the available options, and whether any are a particularly poor choice.
92 REPLIES 92

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, haven't had a chance to weigh the Pathfinder yet (nearest scale I've found is a 45 minute drive this week, but only about 25 in January.... Holiday traffic around here is worth avoiding, plus I've been kinda busy). I may end up needing to compromise, and dropping the requirement to have a separate queen may happen. Alternatively, I could manufacture an argument with one of my kids and ground her from camping trips, and then be able to really look at some of the adorable tiny trailers.

Did we already talk about the KZ sportsmen classic 19bh? That one keeps the queen and adds a slide out for floor space and large table, while staying very light; presumably it has some downsides. KZ seems to offer a 2yr warranty on most of their units but only 1yr for the sportsmen classics.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Pathfinder and would not want to tow more than 3,000 pounds with it. Converting a dinette is a lot easier than trading tow vehicles or adding upgrades to one. She is right in wanting something under 3,500 pounds gross vehicle weight.

We do not have a Coachman dealer nearby but I wonder what the Yellow Sticker weight on the Apex Nano 185BH actually is. The brochure weight makes it look very attractive. What is the current price for that model. Does it also have a two year warranty?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
The Jayco 154 BH has a yellow sticker weight of 2,590 pounds, 3500 pound gvwr. Has two bunk beds and the usual dinette for sleeping three in their own bed. Dry bath with shower and tub, micro, AC, H W heater, Propane/electric refrigerator, furnace, power awning, spare tire, two year warranty, $11,995

Biggest negative is small holding tanks.

A great model I'm sure BUT the OP clearly wants not only bunk beds but a bed of her own that doesn't have to be set up, not a dinette that does. That Coachmen Apex Nano 185BH she expressed interest in meets this requirement, as well as having decent sized 30 gal holding tanks, the same size tanks I have on my Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS. I still think it's worth weighing her Pathfinder to determine exactly what it's real world payload capacity is, then plugging those numbers into the towing calculator I sent her.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Airborn805
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy purchased a small lightweight Coleman trailer with a side Ac unit and has had to take a back for warranty work twice for water coming in around the Ac unit

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
....snip....the OP who stated in her original post that whatever camper she buys has to have a bed for each of the 3 of them. :h It's also WAY too heavy for her Pathfinder.

gmw photos wrote:
Which is pretty much the theme of the whole thread as it has evolved: a camper with individual beds for each of them.... is going to be too heavy for her Pathfinder.

Maybe ... that Coachmen Apex Nano 185BH the OP mentioned in her original post might be suitable but AFAIK she still hasn't weighed her Pathfinder with a full tank of gas and done the calculations using a towing weight calculator I sent her that would determine pretty accurately where she'd stand with this combination of TV and trailer.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco 154 BH has a yellow sticker weight of 2,590 pounds, 3500 pound gvwr. Has two bunk beds and the usual dinette for sleeping three in their own bed. Dry bath with shower and tub, micro, AC, H W heater, Propane/electric refrigerator, furnace, power awning, spare tire, two year warranty, $11,995

Biggest negative is small holding tanks.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
....snip....

the OP who stated in her original post that whatever camper she buys has to have a bed for each of the 3 of them. :h It's also WAY too heavy for her Pathfinder.

Which is pretty much the theme of the whole thread as it has evolved: a camper with individual beds for each of them.... is going to be too heavy for her Pathfinder. At least if she intends to stay within Nissan's stated limits. Some people are ok with towing over the stated limits, which is why I posted what I did in an earlier post.

Here is another suggestion for the OP: consider the idea of what a given trailer actually weighs, not what it's GVWR is.
Example, my trailer actually weighs just 4000 pounds, even though it's GVWR is 6000 pounds. It's gross "rating" is that high because it can be, since it sits on tandem, 2800 pound axles.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FlexCamper wrote:
In July we bought a Pacific Coachworks 18RBS.

Very nice camper ... ๐Ÿ™‚

... but without beds for her kids how is this relevant to the OP who stated in her original post that whatever camper she buys has to have a bed for each of the 3 of them. :h It's also WAY too heavy for her Pathfinder.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atlee wrote:
Why do you think a through-wall AC is more of a place waiting for a leak to happen than a similar roof mounted A/C which also has a hole in the roof?

I figure a hole is a hole is a hole.

trail-explorer wrote:

My preference, get one with a roof A/C instead of one with a household, through-wall A/C.
The through-wall A/C seems like a place waiting fore a leak to happen.

A window A/C was not designed for a RV. They use them because they are cheap. Most (that work) have a hole cut in the roof with a frig type vent cover to draw air in for the cooling of the outside condenser. Some people have had issues with the water that accumulates at the bottom of the A/C window unit. When they drive it sloshes out into the interior. They were not designed to be used for RV'S.

FlexCamper
Explorer
Explorer
In July we bought a Pacific Coachworks 18RBS. It was $17,000. It seems they are changing some things for next year and it will be heavier (300 lbs more than the one we got). http://www.pacificcoachworks.com/products/econ-e18rbs/
This dealer had the best deal http://www.marjonrvs.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=8179&catcode=81&modelyear=2016&veh=480432&brands=y&dropdown=n&MainManufacturer=6203&DispType=12575

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you think a through-wall AC is more of a place waiting for a leak to happen than a similar roof mounted A/C which also has a hole in the roof?

I figure a hole is a hole is a hole.

trail-explorer wrote:

My preference, get one with a roof A/C instead of one with a household, through-wall A/C.
The through-wall A/C seems like a place waiting fore a leak to happen.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seashellmama, I towed for years with a similar Pathfinder --it was just fine for a small trailer. (See my links below for a description of the trailer and our trips -- you live in So Cal, as do I, so our blog may give you some ideas.)

You can find small lightweight trailers on Craigslist. You do not need a pop-up. There are folks on this forum who say that anything less than a huge truck is inadequate. That is not true.

And by the way, you are a terrific writer -- very interesting posts. I look forward to reading your comments.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Seashellmama wrote:
Looking to get my first trailer. I have two kids, and none of us want to share a bed so it needs to have three separate sleeping places. I am super lazy, so would prefer those sleeping places be permanent-beds, because I know that once turned into a bed at a campground, that is how it will stay until we get home. I've got a 5000lb tow capacity (2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD), so don't want to go much over 3500lb GVWR. I realize that most people want a larger trailer after a while, but given that my kids will grow up and likely stop camping with me, I'm more likely to downsize in the future.

It seems like there are a few models with very similar floor plans, bunk beds and a queen... Jayco (174bh... previously 184bh?), Coachmen Clipper 17bh, Coachmen Apex Nano 185bh, a couple of others, too (I found one with a slideout, but still sub-3500lbs gross, but now I can't find it) then maybe a Forest River RP-172 and I don't know what else to consider.

I'm such a newbie I can barely differentiate any of these. I want to keep it around the $15k range, and I know I'll need to get things that don't come with them, like sway bars, weight distribution hitch, bits and whatnot that I didn't know I needed, other things I'll think I need that are totally useless, etc etc.

I'm open to all sorts of advice (though telling me I need a bigger and better tow vehicle has to fall on deaf ears, because reality; telling me I have to get a pop-up will make me cry). My current obsession is about how to choose among the available options, and whether any are a particularly poor choice.

Check out Amerilite by Gulfstream. A neighbour has one about 19' with a slide, it is lightweight and has bunk beds for kids! Nice unit.

Seashellmama
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it's a thought. I have a slightly irrational fear/dislike of canvas, with rips, exposure, wind, and cold (I am... extraordinarily wimpy about cold). I'm much more confident about being able to fix, say, broken electrical, or dealing with plumbing, than anything cloth or clothlike. That's why I haven't been wanting to consider popups or hybrids, but really it's not out of the question.

Specifically, though, the 17xfd is 3355 *empty*, with a 4500GWVR. Pretty much out of the question for my TV.

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Jayco 17XFD. I say that because it has:

* 2 axles
* 3 slide out hybrid beds (your in California, a hybrid is perfect year round)
* 3355 lbs, 320 lbs tongue weight

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-jay-feather-7/17xfd/