cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loud AC

papabruce
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2010 Coleman 19 ft. TT in 2011. The roof AC is very loud inside. I would like suggestions about decreasing the noise. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the type of the noise, I would climb up on the roof and remove the cover and run it.The shroud or fan housing may be the culptit.All you should hear is the fan pushing air and the compressor humming.Also check the inside filters for chafing or obstructions.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merrykalia wrote:
They are noisy, but they also block lots of outside noise if you are in an RV park with lots of kids!!

Party next door....no problem, turn on the AC. Kid crying, dogs barking....turn on the AC.

You forgot the idiots next door with their boom box music !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We use our AC to mask the noise of our generator running. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
They are noisy, but they also block lots of outside noise if you are in an RV park with lots of kids!!

Party next door....no problem, turn on the AC. Kid crying, dogs barking....turn on the AC.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Roof mounted RV air conditioners are noisy when using high fan setting and less noisy on low fan setting. In a 19 foot trailer you should be able to run it on low fan to stay cool. It will still be noisy. Not much can be done.

One of our air conditionders had a high pitched buzzing sound. It turned out to be two pieces of tubing that were too close together and vibration caused the buzz. I put a piece of foam between them to stop the buzz.

I would equate the low fan RV A/C noise to a hair blow drier on low speed around 15 feet away.

By the way there are two noises... the fan which is always on and a deeper sound when the compressor kicks on. The compressor cycles so the sound comes and goes.

We normally watch TV with the sound at 20, when the A/C is on I turn it up to 35 to be able to hear what the actors are saying. The air inlet for the A/C unit is in the ceiling above where I sit to watch TV (dumb design).

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
papabruce wrote:
I bought a new 2010 Coleman 19 ft. TT in 2011. The roof AC is very loud inside. I would like suggestions about decreasing the noise. Thanks.

By loud do you mean the fan noise, or can you hear the compressor?

In my '96 Mallard the fan was very loud and there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it, but you couldn't hear the compressor at all.
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van