cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lucas Red N Tacky for wheel bearing grease

hprince
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with Lucas Red N Tacky #2 grease using it for wheel bearings, I am getting ready to replace all of the bearings on my trailer and wanted to find a good grease to use.
10 REPLIES 10

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Lucas Red N Tacky on both my TT's and have never had a problem. The drop point is rated at 540 degrees and the Timkin grease mentioned is 350 degrees. Al-KO axles require 430 degrees drop point.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
In the past I also used "Fords" racing "high temp" $23.00 a tube stuff. Doesn't make a difference on trailer. Trailer axles are not that high temp of application.
I don't know about that. After seeing the way some of them fly by me on the interstates. :@

YA, I had to slow down when I quit using it:)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I also used "Fords" racing "high temp" $23.00 a tube stuff. Doesn't make a difference on trailer. Trailer axles are not that high temp of application.
I don't know about that. After seeing the way some of them fly by me on the interstates. :@

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like that stuff at all. It separates like a big dog.

I use Sta-lube Hi-temp grease in everything I own. From race cars that go 140 MPH to tractors that go 5 MPH to trailers to ............well........everything I own.

I will not change because I never had a wheel bearing problem; ever.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

path1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on spec's from axle manufacture... The info I have on mine stated the "base" type of grease and the min "dropping" point. I ended up with Walmart "Tech" something. More than meets OEM's spec's and available nation wide, so I don't have to worry about getting right stuff or carrying it when away from home.

If your happy with what grease you have and it meets OEM spec's for axle, go for it.

If you can't sleep some night or real bored see https://www.nlgi.org/ tells you what all the tech stuff is about dropping points, type of base etc. And also bear in mind a lot of grease and oils are "snake oil". Some manufactures put more into advertising than research.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think they all show at least a bit of separation over time. I recommend using whatever the manufacturer recommends.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
I would be concerned. I use R&T for greasing my tractor and I have to keep the grease gun in a plastic bag between uses because at room temperature the oil separates out and leaks red goo! I have no idea what would happen at elevated temperatures.
As does the Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease that I use.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone had experience with Lucas Red N Tacky #2 grease using it for wheel bearings, I am getting ready to replace all of the bearings on my trailer and wanted to find a good grease to use.

You did not mention whose axles you have on your coach. However, if you have Dexter axles their recommendation for grease is what I would use.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be concerned. I use R&T for greasing my tractor and I have to keep the grease gun in a plastic bag between uses because at room temperature the oil separates out and leaks red goo! I have no idea what would happen at elevated temperatures.
RVing since 1995.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use that grease but it should be fine for your purpose. For comparison, here is the data sheet for Timken bearing grease. Most of the specifications are close with either product.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton