cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerating pump to empty black/gray tank

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
In another post Reddog1 said he has be using a macerating pump to empty his tanks at home. This got me thinking that it would give me even more options/opportunities to empty my tanks during winter camping vs. just gravity and the normal hose.

I like the twist-on models that fit onto the drain outlet, that I can install as needed. I've found two different systems, FloJet from Xylem (aka Jabsco) and Sani-con from Thetford. Another company makes a kit using the Flojet pump.

Are you using these models in your TC? Would you do it again? With the same brand? Comments?

Thanks.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.
20 REPLIES 20

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
... The unit works as designed but I find it to be very slow method of dumping.
It is nice to have in a pinch but I avoid using it in general. The Flojet is just too slow for me

If I had large tanks like many non-TC RVs, I might not always use my macerator. I do find it more comfortable to use than the stinky slinky. I also back flush my tanks a couple of times a year in the comfort on my own home/driveway, sitting in a chair while I drink a beer.

Wayne

yep, I never considered tank dumping to be a race against time. I get a FHU site every 3 days or so, dump the gray thru the hose, then use the macerator on the black tank as needed.
bumpy

If your ever at a dump station, dumping your tanks can quckly become a race against time.
Since this is the TC forum I did consider editing my post.
Since tank sizes are smaller on TC's slow macerator performance is much less an issue.
I'm glad to see there is now a warning concerning running macerator for more than 15 minutes.
While it may not apply much to TC's. Dumping large tanks can be a real issue using a macerator.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
A friend borrowed my flo-jet and we learned an expensive lesson. When emptying both tanks on his fiver, the motor got hot enough to seize the brushes to the guides that hold them. According to flow-jet, the cap that holds the brushes on the end of the electric motor is not a replacable part. He graciously bought a new pump for me and when we read the directions on the new pump, noticed that there is now a warning to not run the motor more than 15 minutes continuously. I tried to repair the old motor by glueing the plastic guides back together, but not sure if it will hold up.
Lost...But making good time.
2000 Ford F-250 V-10 4X4 CC, 1998 Sprinter 265RK

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I have small tanks.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
If I had large tanks like many non-TC RVs, I might not always use my macerator. I do find it more comfortable to use than the stinky slinky. I also back flush my tanks a couple of times a year in the comfort on my own home/driveway, sitting in a chair while I drink a beer.

Wayne

Sounds like a 3 beer job to me.
Bob

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
It is nice to have in a pinch but I avoid using it in general. The Flojet is just too slow for me

Wayne

yep, I never considered tank dumping to be a race against time. I get a FHU site every 3 days or so, dump the gray thru the hose, then use the macerator on the black tank as needed.
bumpy

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While the Flojet is a worthwhile option to have,I seldom use mine.
The unit works as designed but I find it to be very slow method of dumping.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our FloJet with our last 4 RVs.

While I try to dump with the 4" hose before heading home, sometimes Cathy uses the toilet before we arrive back at the house.

Works great at home- I park near the bathroom window.

I also put a 6" clear section on the dump outlet and then alternate pumping and backflushing until I see it running clear.

We are in a very rural area and the nearest dump station is 15 miles away. Buying the FloJet was a no brainer.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
bb_94401 wrote:
Reddog1 - I like the clear spool piece. Did the nitrile impeller get stuck by adhering to the pump body after drying out between uses? or did it get stuck on something coming out of the black tank?

Actually, the first time the impeller was not stuck. I was trying to unwind hair from the chopper plate. During the process, I turned the motor in the wrong direction.

The second time, it dried out. I turned it backward to free it. I should have taken it apart. Since then, I put a little oil in the pump, and bump the switch a couple of times.

bb_94401 wrote:
I thought it was a good feature to be able to clear the pump, by turning the shaft with a screwdriver, without having to disassemble the stalled pump. I'll have to mark the pump shaft direction when I get it.

I marked mine the second time I messed up.

bb_94401 wrote:
While this will allow me to dump at home, I'm looking forward to being able to dump in vault toilets, sewer treatment plants, even regular toilets when we take our 3 week winter ski road trip to central Alberta this coming February.

Using someone else's black tank was something I had not thought of 😄

There also could be time you would might dump in a Class A tank.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just think if you get Waynes system you could run it anywhere there are restrooms. Inside restaurants, Mcdonalds for examples.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 - I like the clear spool piece. Did the nitrile impeller get stuck by adhering to the pump body after drying out between uses? or did it get stuck on something coming out of the black tank?

I thought it was a good feature to be able to clear the pump, by turning the shaft with a screwdriver, without having to disassemble the stalled pump. I'll have to mark the pump shaft direction when I get it.

While this will allow me to dump at home, I'm looking forward to being able to dump in vault toilets, sewer treatment plants, even regular toilets when we take our 3 week winter ski road trip to central Alberta this coming February.

Using someone else's black tank was something I had not thought of 😄
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Yeah... make sure he doesn't drink too many....... I caught him running the hose up inside my camper and dumping into my toilet.

That is not true. I had mixed some Margarita for us, and ran to hose so we could pump into glasses in your TC. I was not dumping into your toilet.

Wayne

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah... make sure he doesn't drink too many....... I caught him running the hose up inside my camper and dumping into my toilet.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne wrote:
some of you have seen in my previous posts, they can double duty as a Margarita or Slurpee machine.

Wayne's Margs are legendary. I've heard they have a very robutts, I mean robust flavor and a slightly out of the ordinary odor that you almost recognize.