cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerating pump to empty black/gray tank

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
In another post Reddog1 said he has be using a macerating pump to empty his tanks at home. This got me thinking that it would give me even more options/opportunities to empty my tanks during winter camping vs. just gravity and the normal hose.

I like the twist-on models that fit onto the drain outlet, that I can install as needed. I've found two different systems, FloJet from Xylem (aka Jabsco) and Sani-con from Thetford. Another company makes a kit using the Flojet pump.

Are you using these models in your TC? Would you do it again? With the same brand? Comments?

Thanks.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.
20 REPLIES 20

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
bb_94401 wrote:
In another post Reddog1 said he has be using a macerating pump to empty his tanks at home. This got me thinking that it would give me even more options/opportunities to empty my tanks during winter camping vs. just gravity and the normal hose.

I like the twist-on models that fit onto the drain outlet, that I can install as needed. I've found two different systems, FloJet from Xylem (aka Jabsco) and Sani-con from Thetford. Another company makes a kit using the Flojet pump.

Are you using these models in your TC? Would you do it again? With the same brand? Comments?

Thanks.

I have the FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit. Absolutely no question, I would do it again. I see no reason not to use the same brand, but would consider others.

I too have installed 12V DC power right by dump valves. Although not required, I use a Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs between the pump and valves. This allows me to insure there is nothing left in the pump and the tanks are clean.

It should be noted, there is a screw on the opposite end of the pump from the impeller. See page 2 and 3 Flojet Model 18555-000. It can be used to unstuck the pump, on the rare occasion it gets stuck. DO NOT TURN THE SCREW IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, IT WILL BREAK THE IMPELLER. They will not tolerate reverse rotation, and are very pricey. I learned the hard way, broke two. I finally learned.

Is some of you have seen in my previous posts, they can double duty as a Margarita or Slurpee machine.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
although not that critical in a portable system, but nice, I would want a grey water bypass feature myself.
bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw one guy at camping spot we were at had a 30gal or so size plastic waste water tote in the back of his truck where he hooked his 12VDC FLO-JET Pump to the Black water connection of his trailer and pumped his tank into the tote while it was still sitting in the truck bed.

Then he unhooked the 3/4-inch line from the FLO-JET and tied it off high on the truck bed and drove to the local dump site and gravity fed the tank into the dump site...

I thought that was a pretty neat use for the FLO-JET pump when camping without sewer connections...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Maserator pump at West Marine, it had the best price at the time, yet is a 1-1/2" female pipe thread, and I had to make an adapter for the RV outlet. Once that was done, I was able to dump the black tank into a port-a-potty that was located near where my RV was parked.

I used 1" clear plastic tubing to make the connection from RV to port-a-potty, then used grey water to rinse out the hose before putting it away.

1" tubing is about 2-3 times the opening of a normal garden hose. A garden hose can take a really long time, and has lots of back pressure. If you do go the garden hose route, try to keep it at 25' and with 3/4" hose if possible. It would be a expensive hose, and the tubing that I bought was around $1.10 per foot (40 feet was around $50) at Home Depot.

So all in all, the total cost to me was about $170 for the pump, $20 for fittings, and $50 for tubing. I was able to save monthly $35 dump fee for 4 years.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
When we are on the road we just use the regular dump method. When we get home, I use the portable FloJet macerator pump to clean out here at the house. Its nice because I can take my time at home by running the black tank flush for as long as I need to and discharge the contents by using the FloJet. No need to be right beside a sewer inlet.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a FloJet portable.

Have used it for past 7 yrs. Twist on as needed......I have DC power right by dump line.

Got it because when visiting sister the 'clean-out' is 75' away with a 2' rise.
Pumps out my waste tanks with ease (50 gallon/black & 78 gallons/grey)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31