cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Max Trailer

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2015 Yukon XL and am looking at upgrading a Pop-up to a travel trailer. Trying to find out what size I can get is pretty confusing. The Yukon is rated with a max towing of 8500. It also has a Curb weight of 5536 & GVWR of 7300 (leaving 1764 Max Payload).
I was always looking at the max trailer of 8500 when looking at a trailer (dry weight + trailer load). However, in looking at the stats, I see the real limiter as the GCWR which is 14000. If I take the GCWR of 14000 and subtract the curb weight of 5536 of the vehicle, I get the 8500. But if I figure in cargo in the vehicle & trailer, the maximum trailer gets much smaller. For example, if I assume 1000 lbs of people and luggage for 5 people and then another 1000 lbs of trailer weight, that leaves only 6500 pounds for the trailer.

I see another bottleneck as well. The GVWR is 7300. Subtracting the curb weight of 5536 leaves 1764 for cargo. If I use 1000 for 5 people and some cargo, it leaves about 764. However, does the hitch rating need to be added here? For example, if the Dry Hitch Weight is 891, then I've blown the GVWR limitation.

Am I looking at this correctly?
1. If a Trailer dry weight is 6267, and the rated cargo capacity is 1586, how much should I figure for the wet weight? 6267 + ???.
2. Does the Hitch weight of the trailer need to be added to cargo weight for the GVWR limit? This might be the biggest limiter if so since I may make it under the GCWR limit and blow the GVWR limit.
3. On my 2015 Yukon, I have the Max trailering package. However, I can't find the limit on the included integral hitch system. Should I assume that it will handle the MAX Trailer weight? Or where do I find the limit?
Brad
24 REPLIES 24

Nybillygoat
Explorer
Explorer
That sticker has nothing to do with what the truck can tow .. rather what the hitch itself can handle..

it clearly states hitch ratings on top of sticker and at bottom: Tow Vehicle maximum trailer rating my be less

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Brad, that sticker was on my receiver for max tongue weight with and without WDH. I am curious what the 2015+ has. The 2007-20014 had the above limit. So despite the 9400 pound tow rating mine has, that really is more like 8k loaded TT and under 7k dry.

What did you find for as equipped payload?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Your limit will likely be the receiver or payload. Verify your as equipped payload per this sticker on your driver's door post:

You are he first owner of a 2015 GM SUV. Can you please look at the receiver for a sticker like this one? What are your limits?

I found the other stickers, where is this one located?
Brad

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
Have the other partygoers follow in another vehicle if possible.
My payload allows 1 passenger when towing. Others meet us at the camp site.

I break the rule with Nana though (grandma). She weighs ~88lbs soaking wet.

Yes, a second passenger vehicle would free up some payload. Also, putting all the luggage and cargo in the trailer (as long as there is capacity there) instead of the tow vehicle, frees up some payload.

Say you have 200 lbs of luggage in the Yukon. All of that two hundred pounds, counts against your payload. If you put that 200 lbs in the trailer (close as possible to the axles, but, not behind them), only a small percentage (near 10 percent) would add to the tongue weight. Thus, you've freed up about 180 lbs of payload. Your tires will thank you for taking some of the load off.

You may still be on the edge with GVWR, and still have some unpleasant towing, but, maybe you can get some relief from the white knuckles and back aches, by trading off driver duties.

Original post, stated an assumed 1000 lb load of passengers and cargo. Maybe, that load can be reduced. Maybe, the assumption was a little high. Only the OP can figure that out.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the other partygoers follow in another vehicle if possible.
My payload allows 1 passenger when towing. Others meet us at the camp site.

I break the rule with Nana though (grandma). She weighs ~88lbs soaking wet.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Nybillygoat
Explorer
Explorer
what it comes down to is the tow capacity is there.. but he will never be with-in his payload... that was my issue.. you can't bring 5 people along and have a 550 lb. hitch weight with 1200 - 1300 lbs. or real payload numbers ..

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've got it figured right. "Max Towing" is a marketing figure that assumes an empty tow vehicle, and even in that condition there may not always be enough "cargo capacity" to carry the hitch weight of a trailer that heavy.

For what you want to carry in the XL, you probably need to be looking at TTs with a GVWR around 6000 pounds.

I picked up a 12-pass van with "Max Towing" numbers around 6000 pounds, with the idea that the largest travel trailer I would ever tow would be about 4500, since the van is sometimes going to be carrying people and their stuff. If I wanted to tow 6000 pounds of trailer, I would have looked for a van with 9000 "towing capacity."

I think you can find a travel trailer under 6000 pounds that will be suitable for five people, if you concentrate on models with lightweight construction and are willing to have some of spaces converting from living space to sleeping space. Usually these are in model lines carrying names like "ultralite" or "superlite" where the attention to weight control extends to all the furnishings and might involve some more expensive than usual construction technology.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, went to several dealers as I'm starting to figure out what I want.
Basically asked the question about how big of a trailer my set up would pull. Tried to get a fill for what numbers people used for cargo weight in the trailer, etc...
At one dealer, they flat didn't seem to know or want to discuss loading.
At the other dealer, they flat said your Yukon XL is rated at 8500-9000 lbs and that is all you needed to know when looking at the dry weight + a hedge for the trailer load. They seemed to discount completely the GCWR number for total weight or the GVWR for vehicle+vehicle load including hitch load. They said that people they dealt with that had "Suburbans" loaded like mine had no problem pulling the 8000 trailers regardless of the other formulas.

Not sure if they are ignorant of all the factors, or just don't want to discourage people from purchasing more than they should. Or if they believe some of the numbers are too conservative.

In any case, I suspect they talk a lot of folks into more trailer than they should be pulling....
Brad

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
Nybillygoat wrote:
What are the things you are looking for in a camper?

how many people too sleep?

you looking for bunks?

I'm looking for bunks in addition to a couch that makes into a bed. So a total of 6-8. I would like at least 1 slide out to give more room in the trailer. Many other things that would help with the decision, but those are the must haves.
Brad

Nybillygoat
Explorer
Explorer
What are the things you are looking for in a camper?

how many people too sleep?

you looking for bunks?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks good catch. Although it's not the 4L80E, that went in the HD trucks, the OP has the 6L65E.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
the 4L60E transmission in the Yukon and XL is not known for lasting long when overworked.

Its the 6 speed in his, 4L80E. Even the 4L60E is fine when properly cared for and using Dex VI in the pre-2006 models.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Double post, sorry.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bradg wrote:
I see another bottleneck as well. The GVWR is 7300. Subtracting the curb weight of 5536 leaves 1764 for cargo. If I use 1000 for 5 people and some cargo, it leaves about 764.

This is the limiting factor for most vehicles up to a big honkin' dually pickup.

If you are a family of five, figure that the loaded weight of the trailer will be about 1000 over the dry weight. It adds up quick with all the stuff a family packs in. We run about 1500 lbs over the dry weight with no fresh water on board.

Also the average tongue weight of a trailer is 13%, and that weight gets added into what the vehicle can carry. So if you have 764 lbs of capacity available, 764/.13= 5877 loaded trailer weight. Subtract 1000 lbs for stuff and you are looking at dry weights in the 4500-5000 range.

Plenty of lightweight floorplans available that may interest you, so don't be discouraged. Don't get too ambitious, the 4L60E transmission in the Yukon and XL is not known for lasting long when overworked.