cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxis M8008 Failures

tnd2
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to post up some info for tire shoppers.

I have a 22' car trailer, yea it's not a TT, but I figured it was applicable. In 2007 I upgraded to 225/75/15 Load E Maxxis M8008 tires, all 5. I only haul a light race car, so even with it being an older heavier trailer it grosses out at about 6,000# most of the time with occasional trips at 7,000# gross. The tires alone are good for 11,320#. Most of the trips are 1 to 2 times a month local(50 miles one-way), 60mph max-local roads, and average quality as far as pot holes. I don't curb my trailers, do everything I can to miss pot holes, check pressures monthly before each trip, and keep them covered when not in use. Most of the time the car is in the garage so the trailer sits there with 3,600# on the tires/tongue jack.
On average 3 times a year we travel to events that may range from 175-250 miles one-way at 7,000# and may reach 70mph. But usually its just 60/65.

Yesterday we loaded a friends car 3,600# so I was probably closer to 7,200# gross than my usual load, and we headed out to drop it off about 250 miles away at a race shop. Pressure check the night before we left showed 78# in all four tires(I usually run 80# max press for E tires), the tires looked good, plenty of tread, NO cracks.

After about an hour at varying 35-60mph we grabbed food(any time I stop I always touch each tire and hub just to see if one feels hotter than the rest). Then hit the interstate, 70mph zone, so I eased up to 70 and noticed how the road quality had deteriorated and felt less smooth than my last trip out that way(about 2yrs ago).

Roughly 75 miles later we hit 2 lane 60mph max for what should have been a good 100 miles, with the balance of the trip on mixed roads, nothing high speed. Air temp was in the mid 80's.

I noticed the trailer had started vibrating like when your front tires are out of balance, so we decided to stop since we had room to pull over as we entered a town. Both drivers side tires were splitting in the first outside groove of the tread surface and you could see the steel belts, passenger side was ok. It appeared the belts were failing in the tires. We threw the spare on, which I had plugged in the past and had rotated from use to being the spare, it has always been covered too. And we limped onward while my co-driver located a shop in route that only had one tire.(Its a DICO but figured it was better than my splitting one I had now, plus I figured it'll become a spare once I get my new set it looked like I was needing!)

Once we dropped the car off I was only running about 3,600#. A 90min layover for paperwork and lunch and I dropped the tire press to 50# and all the tires looked ok, so we hit the road.

Somewhere in the next hour we developed a vibration and the third Maxxis decided to join the rest. We made the 250 miles home, and the total score seems to be 1 DICO and 1 plugged Maxxis in good shape, 3 Maxxis doa. At least nothing blew out, and we weren't stranded.

Moral of the story: After 6 years its time to spend money, no matter how good you treat them, how good they are new, how good they look now(the tire guy even asked what was wrong with the tire-until I rolled it over toward him), trailer tires need replacing sooner than you want too.

I have run Maxxis M8008's on 4 different trailers, one a work trailer that takes a beating on and off road and actually wears the tires out before they age out. So even though these looked great but failed, i'm buying another set of Maxxis M8008's this week.
2012 Dutchman Voltage 3905
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW Crew Cab 8' bed 4x4 w/Cummins & built auto trans
Reese 22K Hitch
Prodigy P3 brake control
25 REPLIES 25

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Good info. Mine have been on the trailer 4-years and over 12,000 miles. They still look perfect, but I'll keep the age thing in mind.

It's not how they look and how many miles you have on them, but how long they've been on. They should be replaced by the code on the tire. RV tires (or in this case a cargo trailer) sit longer and are not in constant use like passenger car or pickup tires. As for LT vs ST - I read a big write up on the advantage of ST tires for RV - one being the softer side walls advantageous in the way a towable's tires have to turn. LT have rigid sidewalls.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine at 70# just because. Has worked well so far. I also run the posted speed limit up to 75mph.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Joseph_Fihn
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the desert (Phoenix, AZ.) & the extreme dryness & temps. are hard on rubber products. Here, it is recommended to change out trailer tires at 3 year intervals, no matter what they look like. I've been doing that, along with upgrading tire sizes to 225-75-15-D's, & have not had any problems. Kind of hurts replacing what look like perfectly good tires but, like the rest of us, have heard too many stories about trailer tires dying.
I have Towmaster's (Greenball) on the trailer right now & have over 5 years on them according to the date codes on the tires. Haven't used the trailer for awhile, now. Am looking into the best quality tire I can find before I start using the trailer, again. The Maxxis M8008 was high on my list of tires of interest. I'm surprised to hear of the failures posted here.

The largest tire dealer here in AZ. is Discount Tire & they are HIGHLY recommending the NEW Carlisle Radial Trail RH trailer tire. They say that it has been tested in high heat ovens at maximum road speeds & the NEW design has been proven to be more reliable than the other brands available, to us. I'm worried about the Carlisle's due to the fact that in the past, they had the worst reputation of the trailer tire offerings. I suppose it is possible that they could go from the worst to the best, in one design.

Has anyone tried the NEW Carlisle's & what has your experience been?

Thanks,

Joe F.

tnd2
Explorer
Explorer
The load chart brings up a question for those in the know.
Using my example 7200#, assume 700# on the tongue, leaving 6500# on the tires/4 = 1625# per tire, load chart shows a 225/75/15 will carry 1760# @ 35psi. I've never run that low, even the 50psi I ran home on was just to relive some pressure loading on the belts. Maby im wrong for running them at 80psi? Mine look like they have worn evenly and not just in the center from over inflation.
Reese 22K Hitch
Prodigy P3 brake control

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The LT vs ST tires debate has been debated to death...as has the Chinese ST vs Maxxis debate.

No need to rehash that one. Keep in mind that HOW THEY LOOK, is only one part of how good they still are after years of use.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Is there something about ST tires that don't last as long as light truck LT tires? The original OEM tires on our old truck lasted 13 years (only close by around town use) and probably would have kept going except when we got a new TT and planned a new trip, decided it was time to replace them.

Are ST tires running on the edge at 65 mph?

That is a good question regarding why ST tires have such a limited lifespan as far as number of years. One of the cars in our family has a set of GoodYear "aquatread" tires that I put on it 10 years ago. The car only sees occasional use, and the tires only have about 25K miles, yet they still look brand new. No cracking, dry rot, splitting, etc. They look as new. I've seen numerous "very old" car tires in use on various horse trailers also, and some of them still looked fine too, other than being essentially worn out. These were "used" car tires that were put into service on the trailers.

One has to wonder if ST tires are simply built to lower standards.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Is there something about ST tires that don't last as long as light truck LT tires? The original OEM tires on our old truck lasted 13 years (only close by around town use) and probably would have kept going except when we got a new TT and planned a new trip, decided it was time to replace them.

ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 MPRโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

tnd2
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis shows 65mph max on their load/inflation chart
http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf
I believe most mfg's recommend 65mph max.
Reese 22K Hitch
Prodigy P3 brake control

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Mine have been on the trailer 4-years and over 12,000 miles. They still look perfect, but I'll keep the age thing in mind.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that after six years the time has come to discard no matter the make. I just ordered 4 last week and time will tell
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va